Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby  (Read 8381 times)

Online greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby
« Reply #240 on: July 28, 2017, 01:28:50 am »
Thanks, greg! I am happy with how they turned out! At this point though, I haven't seen them in a while and I hope they still work once the paint masking is taken off. If I've done my job right, they will be fine!
Yes, I know exactly how you feel! I'm still pretty new to lighting myself, and I was very nervous about not being able to see what I'd done because of the masking.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #241 on: July 28, 2017, 08:11:27 am »
"Stay on target."

Hee hee! Mixed Metaphors....or is it generas?!  ;D

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2017, 03:25:05 pm »
 ;D
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2017, 07:30:28 am »
Good day, Questarians!

I hope your weekend was both enjoyable and productive!

Because the heat index in Houston this weekend was topping out at 109 degrees F, I stayed inside and worked on the Protector. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I got up at OMGITSDARK-thirty and mowed the quarter acre I call my lawn before it reached 90 degrees F. THEN I went inside and worked on the model.

I am finally getting around to the part of the ship, at least on the Starboard side, where the Aztecing is not so detailed. I figure even the original production model modelers got tired of painting them and realized they had to go into production sometime! :)

I was able to get both the Ventral and Starboard side Aft done. While it is only two pictures, you are still looking at a couple of days of my own brand of crazy. I think the next model will be something easy like, I dunno, the Enterprise C or the 350 TOS Enterprise!!

Ventral quarter
20170730_211109

Starboard side Aft
20170730_211513

Just a quick update. After all this work, I'm really starting to pray it looks as good as I hope!

Stay tuned for more! We'll be right back after a message from our sponsors!

Thanks for following and commenting!

JASON: You want to go home? Fine. Say the word, and we'll all go home and feed the fish and pay the bills and fall asleep with the TV on and miss out on THIS. Is that really what you want? Anybody?

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2017, 10:43:45 am »
I see now I should have purchased stock in 3-M tape!   Wow!!   This is really looking cool Steve.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2017, 08:00:58 am »
I see now I should have purchased stock in 3-M tape! 

Thanks, Shawn! You are not the first to mention the 3-M tape investment!

Stock tip: Might want to consider X-acto knife blades, too! After about 8hrs of work, they start to dull up and tend to pull the tape rather than cut. I am going through the blades like, heh, a hot knife through butter! :D Looked at a pack of 100 blades for about $32. Yikes!

Thanks again for the comments!

Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2017, 10:38:52 am »
Stock tip: Might want to consider X-acto knife blades, too! After about 8hrs of work, they start to dull up and tend to pull the tape rather than cut. I am going through the blades like, heh, a hot knife through butter! :D Looked at a pack of 100 blades for about $32. Yikes!

You ever notice when you're watching a YT video and someone is masking or cutting photo etch from a fret or other tasks and they all say 'it's important to use a brand new, fresh blade here'? WTH! They must get royalties from X-Acto. ;)
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline madmonk

• Commander
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2017, 10:39:53 am »
I see now I should have purchased stock in 3-M tape!   Wow!!   This is really looking cool Steve.

Shawn

Looking at the amount of tape Steve has used you might have been better buying shares in 3-M!!

Steve, boy do you have some patience!

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2017, 08:58:56 pm »
Hey Steve, Sorry I haven't posted here on your updates, sometimes I get caught up on what I'm doing and forget to check other modeler's progress. But man this is looking very good!  You are solving your problems very nicely. This is a fantastic build! Looking forward to more.
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
http://www.NemVia.net

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2017, 07:57:16 am »
Greetings Modelers,

I hope you had a safe and productive weekend! I avoided heat exhaustion by avoiding doing ANYTHING outside and using Sunscreen SFP3000!! I thought about going outside to mow the lawn at 0800 Saturday. Looked at the temp 89 degrees F. Tolerable I thought. Then looking at the humidity looming at 95% for a real feel of 103 degrees F, I decided to work on the model! :D

You ever notice when you're watching a YT video and someone is masking or cutting photo etch from a fret or other tasks and they all say 'it's important to use a brand new, fresh blade here'? WTH! They must get royalties from X-Acto. ;)

Dan, IKR?! I should have thought about buying stock in X-Acto so, at least when I am buying those darn things, I would be helping to pay my dividends from the stock options!! But, the sharp ones, that don't stay sharp long enough when you are cutting a straight edge with a steel ruler, cut the tape rather than snag and pull.

Steve, boy do you have some patience!

Madmonk, I dunno if it is patience or my own particular brand of self torture, but as more of it gets done, the more I want to do to get it done!

Hey Steve, Sorry I haven't posted here on your updates, sometimes I get caught up on what I'm doing and forget to check other modeler's progress. But man this is looking very good!  You are solving your problems very nicely. This is a fantastic build! Looking forward to more.
Mark

Mark, thanks for dropping by! I am enjoying your Dry dock build!

I know this part of the build isn't very exciting or spectacular, but, like tiling a floor, it becomes addicting and cathartic at the same time! Weird. But, then, it IS ME!  ;D ;)

This represents nearly 12 to 16 hours of work this weekend. Measuring, cutting, placing, recutting, fixing, stretching and more "ings" ad infinitum, ad nauseum, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics to let you know I am still working on it, still alive, and still making progress; albeit slowly.

So I got the nose mostly done. I have a few lines I need to pretty up before I paint the bottom of the nose is now covered.

20170804_203620

The sides are done and fixed, with minor (minor not miner  ;D) exceptions.

20170804_210313

Now that I have most of the masking on, I begin to think, how am I going to get it all off? But that part will probably go much faster than putting it on!

Till next time on Galaxy Quest!

Steve
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:01:21 am by MSgtUSAFRet »

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2017, 08:22:43 am »
Holy moly that's some serious masking there Steve! You have my respect for your patience right there. Are you laying the tape down and drawing the shape in place then removing it to cut it out or another way?
Brilliant work none the less and it'll really look the part when its done
Si

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2017, 10:17:21 am »
Thanks, Si!

Most of the time, such as when using the yellow tape, it is measuring the area with a steel millimeter ruler. And then eye-balling the end angles. The larger shapes, such as the shapes on the sides of the primary hull, I lifted a page from tiling and made paper patterns first. On the tape shape, I figured even if I was a little small, I could use the yellow 1.5mm wide masking tape to fix the angles.

20170801_184833

The more complex patterns, like the one on the Ventral (belly) of the primary hull, I drew them out on paper, laid the design over some 3 inch wide 3M tape and cut them out. Lifting them from the cutting mat, I then placed them on the model.

20170725_191540
20170725_214121

It has been a bit of an exercise in thinking to think in negative spaces, seeing what I wanted the end result to be rather than what I was covering up.

Thanks for looking and asking!

Steve

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2017, 06:33:20 am »
You are doing an amazing job Steve. You have so much patience....can I borrow some? Looks like you have lots to spare. ;D
This ship going to be awesome when you're done....I really appreciate you promising to send it to me. ;D
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2017, 08:40:09 am »
It has been a bit of an exercise in thinking to think in negative spaces, seeing what I wanted the end result to be rather than what I was covering up.

I know what you mean!  It takes me several tries in my mind to figure out the sequence of painting as you are doing, and even then it can be confusing.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2017, 01:12:34 pm »
You must really love this little ship Steve to put so much into her....

I must admit it was never one of my favorite subjects, but now even I am anxious to see the end result after painting and stripping all this tape back off....  I certainly hope the end result matches what you envisioned.

:b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Enterprise © Bloc