Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby  (Read 10926 times)

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2017, 08:48:51 am »
Your paint job is looking awesome! It's crazy how much masking tape we go through.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2017, 01:51:10 pm »
"Cutting Edge"... (Rolling eyes)..

Scotty

Your paint job is looking awesome! It's crazy how much masking tape we go through.

Thanks, Mike! And, Yes, it is crazy!

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Steve
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:54:43 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2017, 07:52:51 pm »
Masks..hehe..who knew they were so beer inspiring.   :o
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #273 on: September 30, 2017, 04:31:51 am »
Nice paint job!

And here I was thinking you were crazy....   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:20 am »
Hey Everybody!

Just wanted to give a quick update to let you know that I am still working on this beauty.

Masks..hehe..who knew they were so beer inspiring.   :o

Yeah, but then you can't see straight enough to put the rest of them on straight!  ;D

Nice paint job!

And here I was thinking you were crazy....   :b

Thanks, Wolf! Oh, don't think I'm not crazy; I am! But I think this is how I got that way to begin with!  ;D

RL caught up with me as my family expanded by 1 last week. Mrs. MSgt is still there taking care of the little tyke so I can spend more time in the garage painting.  ;)

Okay, did some more work last night and was able to get the ventral of the Port wing and the dorsal of the SBRD wing done. It looked so nice I had to share!

I'm hoping to get the wings done this week and then start on the grey areas while I wait for some masks from another builder. (I just gotta get him the pattern.)

Thanks, as always, for the supportive comments and the viewing!

Gwen DeMarco: Sarris' ship accelerating toward us at Mark 2.
Jason Nesmith: Accelerate to Mark 4!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2017, 09:42:25 am »
That is so awesome!   Way to go Steve.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2017, 03:20:26 pm »
Wow, the way those wings turned out has got to give you a big boost!  Really nice work, Steve.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:56 pm »
That is an awesome paint job!   8)

I'm still not sure how you masked that yooge clear part you made.  Do tell!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #278 on: October 12, 2017, 05:03:23 am »
Awesome paint job Steve! You're definitely setting the standards for this kit....probably unmatchable!
 And congrats to the addition to the family .... another modeller in the making!  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #279 on: October 12, 2017, 07:13:01 am »
Good day, Fellow Modelers!

Thanks for the affirmation on the paint job! I am really pleased with how it is turning out!

Thanks, Shawn! :)

Al, yes they did! I needed the boost! I was beginning to think I wouldn't get this one done!

Many thanks, Kevin! I appreciate the compliments! As far as the new modeler, I'll probably have to wait until his fine motor skills improve a bit!  ;D

@Scott - Thanks! As for the "yooge" part (love it!) - simply put - I didn't mask it! :)

Remember this pic from May? (Grief! Has it really been that long?!)

20170520_072226

My plan is to paint it, the CM, and then just before the decals, I'm gonna scrape the paint off the windows. Since it is a solid piece, it should just look like the rest of the model but allow the light to show through.

That the plan anyway. As for masking out the Cm for painting the grey, I'm still working on that.

Thanks, abunch, guys, for all the great comments and questions!

I will try to make some headway this weekend and am pushing to get this one done before Thanksgiving (the American holiday - Canadians have already had theirs!)

Cheers!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2017, 05:58:44 pm »
Steve, in the picture one up there is what looks like an aztec stencil in blue plastic.  Did I miss that before or is it something else?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2017, 09:50:25 am »
Steve, in the picture one up there is what looks like an aztec stencil in blue plastic.  Did I miss that before or is it something else?

@Scott, no I don't think you did. I thought I had posted about this but, yes, it is one of the templates I used to make the patterns on the wings

20171014_091642

I used some clear, overhead projector printable sheets for the templates. I used the 1/1000 TMP Enterprise pattern. I tried to print a pattern I downloaded for free from StarshipModelers.com and cut them out with an X-Acto but as they are very faint I couldn't cut them accuartely. I then darkened the print out, laid the clear sheet over and cut away.

The clear sheet is very flexible, too flexible, so I added a piece of painter's tape for reinforcement (explains the blue). Once the tape was cut away, I laid the pattern on the ship, taped it down and painted away.

I then hit it with a hairdryer, pulled the template off, hit it again with heat and then placed the template next to it for the next piece. The smaller one was for the ends of the wing near the Bussard Collectors and the Engine pods.

Since I didn't have a mask cutter, I thought this would be the next best thing.

Nice catch!

Never Give up!

Steve
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:00:28 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2017, 07:25:00 pm »
I love this template idea and will steal it for my own use one day when I need it. Sure as heck beats masking!!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2017, 07:27:07 am »
Good Day Modelers!

I hope you had a productive weekend!

I love this template idea and will steal it for my own use one day when I need it. Sure as heck beats masking!!

No worries, Mate! The ideas are free to all! But, as the old saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention!"

So, I was able to get some paint on it (well, MORE paint on it) this weekend. I got the recesses on the Ventral of the wings painted. I HAD to rewatch the film to make sure the color was close enough!  ;D

20171013_175727

I am so leery of overspray, I'm afraid the masking for this was a bit excessive. Ah well.

I did get the bussard collectors painted as well as the plasma cannons on the dorsal of the primary hull. I also added one color of dark grey the dorsal of the engine pods.

20171015_093627

The CM was tricky. I wanted to leave the horizontal surfaces white with the angled surfaces light grey. I used masking fluid on the horizontal surafaces but when I went to peel it off, the paint looked like I painted it with my eyes closed. The more I used that stuff the more I know I don't like it. So, I did what I should have to at the start - hand painted it. I am pretty happy with how it turned out though.

A gent on another forum has used his mask cutter to cut out, uhm, masks for the dorsal of the primary hull and they are on their way soon. I will try to get as far as I can up to before decals while I wait for the masks. I need to finish the display stand and the painting of the ship (touch ups and small areas) but I think I see the finish line in sight!

Stay tuned for more exciting updates!

Steve
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:29:47 am by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #284 on: October 16, 2017, 04:41:24 pm »
Fantastic Steve.  You realize you could have built a full size version by now...  like I should talk.  Hahaha.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Enterprise © Bloc