Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby  (Read 6864 times)

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2016, 06:05:40 pm »
Found another spot to mod for lighting. What do you think?

Yeah, I saw that, too, Cameron. I'm trying to light both sections, too. As I said in your thread, I am going to try casting them out of clear acrylic and lighting them with 3mm red LEDs. I don't know what to call them, though. I think, if I can resort to Star Trek Universe for a moment, I would say the forward, blue lighted area on the wings would be equivalent to the Bussard Collectors. I guess the red, lighted areas on either side could be the Flux Chillers. Dunno. Whaddayathink?

I want to put in FO for the Squadron lighting, too, but I will have to find some bigger than what I currently have. I am hoping to find a local distributor so I can get a few samples and try them out. Or I could ask you what size you intend to use. So?

The windows and the squadron lights are gonna be approximately the same size. It was the smallest bore on my Pin Vice. I'll do some research and see if I can get an accurate drill bit size and conversion for the FO.

If any other reader has an opinion, please feel free to jump in!!  ;D

Till then,

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2016, 06:17:20 pm »
I'm using 0603 prewired smd's from HDA for all those small lights.
I was going to use .75mm fiber because that was equivalent to the
size of the nubs that were on the kit. I decided to go with the SMD's
because they will be easier than running the fiber for me.

Which ones are you thinking about making blink? All of them or just certain ones.
I was thinking the same thing but just the ones on the buzzard collectors slow blink
and the rest a strobe blink.

I'll use an Arduino for that effect.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 08:47:34 am »
These Protector builds are REALLY making me jones for another lighting project.

-On the topic of magnet wire.  I hadn't thought about current limits.  I'd recommend using thicker wire to bring power into the model, and in areas where one wire will supply many LEDs or strings of LEDs.  I typically wire everything to common 'rails' for simplicity, so I'll make the 'rails' out of thicker wire, and use very thin stuff to run 2-3 LEDs from there.

-On the topic of FO for lights.  Depends greatly on the scale of the model.  Your drilled windows look great MSGT, so I'd not bother.  FO does generate incredibly consistent lighting, and it saves you from hot spots.  However, unless the model (and the desired FO) is tiny, it will be difficult to get flush after painting and might spoil the effect.  I used FO on a D7 and thoroughly liked the effect (1/537?).  This is a great way to run power to navigation lights as they are tiny and difficult to light well in very tiny spaces (like nacelles). 

"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 03:21:17 pm »
These Protector builds are REALLY making me jones for another lighting project.

Glad to hear it! It would be awesome to see a fleet of NTE Class being built!!  ;D

-On the topic of magnet wire.  I hadn't thought about current limits.  I'd recommend using thicker wire to bring power into the model, and in areas where one wire will supply many LEDs or strings of LEDs.  I typically wire everything to common 'rails' for simplicity, so I'll make the 'rails' out of thicker wire, and use very thin stuff to run 2-3 LEDs from there.

I may have to PM you about the "rails". I think I know what you mean, but wanna confirm. I kinda thought I would use the magnet wire to get through the small places, like the wings, but in the primary hull and ventral primary hull, I will be using 24 AWG or 22 AWG.

-On the topic of FO for lights.  Depends greatly on the scale of the model.  Your drilled windows look great MSGT, so I'd not bother.  FO does generate incredibly consistent lighting, and it saves you from hot spots.  However, unless the model (and the desired FO) is tiny, it will be difficult to get flush after painting and might spoil the effect.  I used FO on a D7 and thoroughly liked the effect (1/537?).  This is a great way to run power to navigation lights as they are tiny and difficult to light well in very tiny spaces (like nacelles).

Thanks for the compliments about the windows! I wasn't thinking of filling the windows with the FO. Instead I was gonna try the Micro Scale Krystal Klear on them and see how it looks. I was thinking of using FO on the "Squadron Formation" lights on the model; although Tankton has decided to use 603's for them instead.

NSEA Protector Lighting A1 by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

Scott, I loved your D7 K'Tinga build and have referenced it many times!!!

Which ones are you thinking about making blink? All of them or just certain ones.
I was thinking the same thing but just the ones on the buzzard collectors slow blink
and the rest a strobe blink.

I'll use an Arduino for that effect.

Cameron, I may just leave them with in a constant on state as Arduino is still out of my skill set - for now! ;D I was thinking of ordering a JJPrise blinky board from TenaControls and wire the wings with blinkies while leaving the lights on the primary hull constant on. I may still as I have injured by hand this weekend (helped my son move his house) and am unable to hold much in my left hand - which leaves me time to order fiber and maybe a board. We'll see. sigh.

So no progress for now.

Extermination by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

Steve
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:50:49 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 03:57:10 pm »
Steve, sent a PM but don't want to bomb your thread with another jpg.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 04:02:46 pm »
Sent Reply!

Thanks, Scott!

Steve

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 01:38:38 pm »
Apologies for not posting more frequently.

What with Christmas decorations and visiting family members, my build time has shrunk to a minimum. I am hoping, with the said approaching Holiday and requisite accompanying PTO (Leave! It is, and always will be, LEAVE to me!) I will have more time to build!

Okay, so, I have made some progress; not much or exciting (as Karve would put it) but progress nonetheless. I built and placed the red LED in the Aft of the Primary Hull. For the lack of names for these lights, I'm gonna call them approach lights for the Shuttlebay. I also placed a white LED for the AFT window lights. It doesn't look like I have light bleed between the two, but once I get the two halves ready to seal up, I was thinking of putting some Tulip paint between the red and white, ya know, just in case.

Aft Windows by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

I did a test fit of the halves and I looks like I will have some external light blocking issues from the red. As you can see from the pic below, the LED is pretty far in the tail and can't help but produce all the bleed through. I am hoping that an exterior coat of black, then white again, will help cut that back a bit.

20161208_084711 by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

20161210_194046 by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

As you can see, I decided to add some longer wires to the white lighting platform for ease of "wiring". The recessed section on the lower primary hull for the display stand, when assembled, goes up into the primary hull. I am thinking of following another builder's design and use lamp guts and different display stand through which to funnel my wiring. I hope to bring the primary wires up through the base and connect everything to them. Adding longer wiring to the platform will allow me some play in soldering the pieces to the main. (Hope this makes sense.)

20161210_193842 by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

I did get a blinky board from a fellow builder for the squadron lights and I got the 603 SMDs from HDA (Excellent Service and response!) for use on the Squadron Formation lights! I am also going to follow another builder's lead and dupe the chillers (the little Red thingies on the front of the wings) and try and light them. I
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:15:19 am by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 02:03:21 pm »
That's a good start Steve. BTW I light blocked from the outside on mine.
Black primer then grey primer. And I don't know if you seen my post but
Testors red tube cement works fine on this plastic I didn't use any CA except
to secure the smds. I also used the Testors liquid cement.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 12:29:46 pm »
The lighting is looking really good, with a lot of attention to detail.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 07:27:31 pm »
adventurous!  and looking good!

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 09:10:37 am »
Thanks, Gents!

Someone suggested I use foil to help block the light internally! Once I insulate the LED leads with electrician's tape, I'm gonna try and glue some foil in there.

But, I do have a bit of an issue. The seam is also leaking and the foil would either have to overlap from each side, or I will still have to putty and sand and light block from the outside.

"If it were easy, where would be the sense of accomplishment?"  ;D ;D ;D

Whaddaythink?

Steve

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2016, 11:40:31 am »
For me, light leaks for seams all disappear after light blocking the outside.  Not sure if this helps you, but I do the standard light blocking on the interior (black, then white).  That pretty much block everything except the seams as you said.  Once they are glued together, the putty (assuming you're using some) will definitely help any seam leaks (and maybe stop all of them).  When lighting a model, I usually always use a black primer (or at least grey) on the exterior.  I've never had leak issues after that - and there's still the base coat to go!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2016, 03:29:23 pm »
I did try a new trick on my 1701-C for the seam leaks on the nacelles.  A very thin but wide strip of styrene glued to one half.  When assembled it covered the seam.  I always have a bugger of a time sealing from the outside, but everyone here has given me new ideas in that area as well.

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 04:41:07 pm »
Thanks, Simi and Scott!

Scott, I'm gonna try your idea, too! I was going to try overlapping foil but this seems a better solution. I can always use external paint if there are any leaks the styrene didn't catch!

Awesome!  Thanks again!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 05:49:37 pm »

Enterprise © Bloc