Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby  (Read 27267 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2017, 12:11:49 pm »
Thanks, Manu!

I'm glad you liked the build!

Let me know if you have any questions on your build and I will do my best to answer them!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:57 pm »
Masterful work! Really top notch. Will be hard for you to top it!
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #317 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:25 am »
Masterful work! Really top notch. Will be hard for you to top it!

Thanks, Trekriffic!

Yeah, I'm kinda leery of starting another build as I may not be able to reach the bar I've set for myself; let alone top it!  ;D

But the itch to build is intensifying and it must be scratched!

Thanks for the comment!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline FatalCheese

• Ensign
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:59 am »
That must be one high of a bar, because I think that looks fantastic, and I can only hope my build turns out that well!  Nice job, Steve!

Question - is your base coat still flat white? I was reading through and saw you used flat white and pearlescent white.  Was that still the case, or did I miss something? The reason I ask is, it seems to be a slight hint of grey. I'm not sure if it's maybe the Aztecs that are creating that illusion, or maybe just the photo lighting.  Either way, I like it, and just curious.  Apologies if I missed it - what brand/type of paint did you use?

Thanks,
Brian
You're in it this far...what's another $20?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #319 on: November 17, 2017, 01:44:44 pm »
Fatalcheese (Brian),

Thanks for the encouragement and I appreciate your kind review!

I used a Krylon rattle can flat white. The glossy (semi-gloss) presented a chemical reaction to nail acrylic I used to create the CM so I opted to paint the whole thing in flat white. I added several coats of Future to bring it back up to glossy.

As I have said before, my exposure to the military their love of high glossy aircraft display models I dont use a dull coat afterwards.

For the pearlized white, I used Createx Airbrush Colors. I like it for the results mainly and also because I can dump it into my airbrush without adding anything and spray it on. Createx does recommend a higher p.s.i. than one normally uses, but it worked quite well for me.

As for the grey, it could be due to a couple of things. Since the model was an ABS model, my first build using the stuff, I used a grey ABS primer before I used the flat white. So it may influence the white a bit. Another poster suggested that I mix a bit of blue in with the white to try and mimic the color of the ship as first seen in beauty shot while in the Docking Port. I was disinclined to do so as the ship picks up the environmental colors in the film but is basically white throughout.

The second factor could be that there is a setting on my phone that tones down the LEDs. As you may know, when trying to take a pic of an LED lighted ship, the LEDs are washed out and details are lost. I can dim this setting on my phone so you can see the color and detail of the lighted part. It could add a grey filter to the pic and could explain the perceived grey tinge to the base color.
That or I need to invest in a new bottle of Future!
For the remainder of the colors I used Model Masters paints for the greys. I can get the exact color numbers if you want, just let me know.

Hey! As you maybe can tell I love to talk about my builds so even if you missed it, I dont mind!

Lemme know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for looking!

Dang the Resonance Cannons and Full Speed Ahead!

Steve

Offline Garbaron

• Admiral
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:39 am »
By grabthar's hammer - what a lovely ship.

Great clean build with awesome attention to detail!

Kudos.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2017, 08:01:00 am »
By grabthar's hammer - what a lovely ship.

Great clean build with awesome attention to detail!

Kudos.

Thanks, Garbaron! I am really happy with how it turned out! When I was in the middle of cutting the masks, I kept asking myself "What have you gotten yourself into?!"

But, perseverance wins the game!

Thanks for commenting!

Steve

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #322 on: November 25, 2017, 02:27:14 am »
I have been trying and trying to post a reply using my mobile for the past week or so but every time I try it times out. Good ol' laptop will do the job for me now!

As others have said before me Steve - this is amazing. This, in my opinion, would now rate as essential reference material for anyone considering building one of these ships. Beautifully painted and subtly lit. Fantastic just doesn't seem to convey how good this really is
Can't wait to see your next build - whatever it may be

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #323 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:13 am »
As others have said before me Steve - this is amazing. This, in my opinion, would now rate as essential reference material for anyone considering building one of these ships. Beautifully painted and subtly lit. Fantastic just doesn't seem to convey how good this really is
Can't wait to see your next build - whatever it may be

Si, Thank you very much for the outstanding appraisal of my work! I am flattered and honored! Thank you.

I have something in the works but I am gun-shy of showing it as I may have set my own mark too high to reach again!   ;)  ;D

At the moment, I am doing basic light blocking and window drilling and will share once I have something to share!

Thanks again!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc