Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby  (Read 9907 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2017, 12:11:49 pm »
Thanks, Manu!

I'm glad you liked the build!

Let me know if you have any questions on your build and I will do my best to answer them!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:57 pm »
Masterful work! Really top notch. Will be hard for you to top it!
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #317 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:25 am »
Masterful work! Really top notch. Will be hard for you to top it!

Thanks, Trekriffic!

Yeah, I'm kinda leery of starting another build as I may not be able to reach the bar I've set for myself; let alone top it!  ;D

But the itch to build is intensifying and it must be scratched!

Thanks for the comment!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline FatalCheese

• Ensign
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:59 am »
That must be one high of a bar, because I think that looks fantastic, and I can only hope my build turns out that well!  Nice job, Steve!

Question - is your base coat still flat white? I was reading through and saw you used flat white and pearlescent white.  Was that still the case, or did I miss something? The reason I ask is, it seems to be a slight hint of grey. I'm not sure if it's maybe the Aztecs that are creating that illusion, or maybe just the photo lighting.  Either way, I like it, and just curious.  Apologies if I missed it - what brand/type of paint did you use?

Thanks,
Brian
You're in it this far...what's another $20?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #319 on: November 17, 2017, 01:44:44 pm »
Fatalcheese (Brian),

Thanks for the encouragement and I appreciate your kind review!

I used a Krylon rattle can flat white. The glossy (semi-gloss) presented a chemical reaction to nail acrylic I used to create the CM so I opted to paint the whole thing in flat white. I added several coats of Future to bring it back up to glossy.

As I have said before, my exposure to the military their love of high glossy aircraft display models I dont use a dull coat afterwards.

For the pearlized white, I used Createx Airbrush Colors. I like it for the results mainly and also because I can dump it into my airbrush without adding anything and spray it on. Createx does recommend a higher p.s.i. than one normally uses, but it worked quite well for me.

As for the grey, it could be due to a couple of things. Since the model was an ABS model, my first build using the stuff, I used a grey ABS primer before I used the flat white. So it may influence the white a bit. Another poster suggested that I mix a bit of blue in with the white to try and mimic the color of the ship as first seen in beauty shot while in the Docking Port. I was disinclined to do so as the ship picks up the environmental colors in the film but is basically white throughout.

The second factor could be that there is a setting on my phone that tones down the LEDs. As you may know, when trying to take a pic of an LED lighted ship, the LEDs are washed out and details are lost. I can dim this setting on my phone so you can see the color and detail of the lighted part. It could add a grey filter to the pic and could explain the perceived grey tinge to the base color.
That or I need to invest in a new bottle of Future!
For the remainder of the colors I used Model Masters paints for the greys. I can get the exact color numbers if you want, just let me know.

Hey! As you maybe can tell I love to talk about my builds so even if you missed it, I dont mind!

Lemme know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for looking!

Dang the Resonance Cannons and Full Speed Ahead!

Steve

Offline Garbaron

• Admiral
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:39 am »
By grabthar's hammer - what a lovely ship.

Great clean build with awesome attention to detail!

Kudos.

Enterprise © Bloc