Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/350 uss enterprise refit  (Read 659 times)

Offline predator

• Ensign
1/350 uss enterprise refit
« on: November 06, 2016, 12:16:42 pm »
HI everyone i am new to this forum and am looking for some help and advice on painting my refit model. All the prep work is done light blocking primer etc and i have given the base of the saucer a coat of Tamiya gloss white. I will be using the paint masks for the AZTEC scheme but have read somewhere to use flat white then the masks then coat with a clear coat future or something similar so was wondering what is the best way to go. I thought of clear coating before applying the masks but am not sure, all the best roy.

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Re: 1/350 uss enterprise refit
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:50:05 pm »
First, welcome to the boards.

Second, to address your question. From all the builds I have come across doing painted aztecs, you do not want a flat base coat. Flat paints have their sheen (or rather lack thereof) because the surface is micro-pebbled which diffuses reflected light in all directions. The is what eliminates smooth reflections in the surface. So frisket, tape masking, etc. will often times allow more paint bleed under the masking. The smoother your surface, the better the tape/frisket film edge adhesion, the cleaner your lines and masking.

After your painting and decaling is done, then you can add layers of clear coat, dull coat, etc. to get your desired finish/sheen.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:45:01 pm by Lestatdelc »
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline predator

• Ensign
Re: 1/350 uss enterprise refit
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:46:40 pm »
Thankyou very much for the advice.

Enterprise © Bloc