Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 2105 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« on: November 30, 2016, 05:11:24 pm »
I hope some will say a prayer for me, because I'm going to start my 1/350 TOS Enterprise. If I wait until I think I'm "ready" I may never build any of my 350 kits.

I have most of what I need to get started.
Both photo-etch sets✔
TenaControls Nav/Strobe/Bussard LED Board✔
Shuttle Bay Paint Masks from HDA Modelworks✔
L'Arsenal 1/350 Naval figures-in route✔
Kit-Kind of need that✔

I'm sure I'm forgetting to list something. I won't be using the TenaControls photon/torpedo board because I already have Boyd's soundboard which has that as part of the program. I also won't be getting the smooth saucer or filling the grid lines. I kind of like the grid lines, and since I will be using the duplicolor filler primer that should mute the lines a small amount. I also don't plan to light the chiller grilles, but that may change.

I started work on the bridge piece. I removed the molded railings. It looks a lot worse condition in the photos than it does in person. I'll try to clean it up a bit more with tiny sandpaper as best I can. I considered not removing the rails, but hey, in for a penny in for a pound. Not sure that phrase makes any real sense, but you get the drift.

Updates will be few in frequency as this is going to be a marathon project. I need to clear more space on the bench for the larger sub-assemblies, too. I've been watching Karve's progress and hope I can do half as well as he's doing. Thanks for reading the long winded intro to the build.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:48:12 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:08:58 pm »
Following Karve's example, I masked where the photo etch will go inside and all around the outside. Then I shot it with Duplicolor gray filler primer. I just did quick hits with the primer so as not to linger too long on such a small area. But I think it did a pretty nice job of filling the scratches from where I removed the railings. Next up will be annealing the photo etch and getting it ready to attach. I have to go back to see if Kevin pre-painted the display etch parts or not. I know he pre-painted the railing supports. Need to take a closer look at the pieces as well. Also need to re-watch an episode or 2 to match the colors.

Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »
Good luck, Dan! I will be following your build with great interest hoping I can learn from your ideas!!

Looking forward to this!!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:03:13 pm »
Good luck, Dan! I will be following your build with great interest hoping I can learn from your ideas!!

Looking forward to this!!

Steve

Thanks Steve, but my guess is the only ideas I will be using will be stolen...I mean borrowed from other builds. But who knows, maybe inspiration will strike when I least expect it. Hopefully it won't happen after I've already CA'd  something. ;D
Dan

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:58:20 am »
Do you think it will take 5 years?

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:21:38 am »
Good luck my friend! Have fun....I'll be watching and looking for ideas as well!
Oh, and yes, I did prepaint  all the photo etch parts before I put them in, and gave them a shot of future to protect them. It'd be way too hard once they're installed. I looked back as well and saw that I didn't mention that in my notes.  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:23:52 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 01:22:33 pm »
You picked the right one to start with!  The 1/350 TOS Enterprise is very well engineered and goes together wonderfully.  You'll like it!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 02:20:14 pm »
You picked the right one to start with!  The 1/350 TOS Enterprise is very well engineered and goes together wonderfully.  You'll like it!
Thanks Matt. The other two 1/350 kits have issues that I may not be ready to tackle just yet. Not to say the TOS is easy, but like Boyd says, it's engineered like a tank. Sturdy and well thought out. Except for those grid lines. ;D

Good luck my friend! Have fun....I'll be watching and looking for ideas as well!
Thanks Kevin, I think it will be fun. Just have to be patient and not try to do too much too quickly.

Do you think it will take 5 years?

Considering my build pace, it just might. ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:27:37 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:15 pm »
A bit of progress tonight. While I ponder the mechanics of the next steps on the bridge, I thought I would start the modifications on the shuttle bay parts. Briefly, over the course of a few hours off and on, I drilled some pilot holes where the view ports are molded in, then cut them out using a combination of a #15 x-acto keyhole saw and also a #2 blade. Then it was out with the small flat file and the 4-sided square file. Kept filing and test fitting the photo etch until I was happy with it. Once I was satisfied, I applied some Canopy glue and attached the pieces, plus the garage door looking piece for the rear wall. For a evening finale, I scuffed up the shuttle bay floor with 600 grit sandpaper, applied some adhesion promotor, and then some primer. I'll wet sand that tomorrow (hopefully) with 1500 grit paper to get it smooth, and it will be ready for the base color. Once I decide what that is. ???

Thanks for looking and any comments and/or suggestions.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 07:09:24 am »
Dan, looking good so far! I am envious of the "squareness" of your windows! Nice job!

I know it seems like small steps, but it's these small steps that add great quality to the build!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 09:53:22 pm »
I wouldn't characterize this as an update. More like a "Whoops, knew that was gonna bite me in the tushie!" I usually spray eveything with adhesion promoter, regardless if I think masking will be necessary or not. But this time, I got ahead of myself and forgot to before I primed the shuttle bay walls. I was having issues with the can of promoter I had, so maybe that caused me to subconsciously avoid it. As the photos show, when I removed the masks after painting the secondary color, paint and primer came up with the tape. Not a big deal. I'll wait for the second color to cure and hit the pieces with dull coat to seal what's there and re-mask and re-prime and paint and blend it in. Just have to make sure to not disturb the second color.

Still trying to work out the lighting. For a kit that was allegedly designed to be lit, they certainly dropped the ball in this area of the kit. Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 04:54:37 am »
Wow...too bad about thee paint lifting Dan. I didn't put adhesion promoter in the shuttle bay either. I just lucked out that the paint didn't lift.
  What paint do you use as a rule? I find I have the best luck with Tamiya, but that just 100% personal preference.

For a kit that was allegedly designed to be lit, they certainly dropped the ball in this area of the kit.

You're sure right about that one. That whole area is a challenge. They should have made the shuttle bay 10% smaller. And then, the back section that the shuttle bay doors butt up against...if they had had them as part of the secondary hull sections instead of the shuttle bay, that would have made life a whole lot easier!

Keep on going...you'll do great.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 03:52:49 pm »
What paint do you use as a rule? I find I have the best luck with Tamiya, but that just 100% personal preference.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Kevin. As to the paint, I usually use Tamiya or Model Master acryls, but in this case the lighter shade was the new gravel gray by Floquil that I used on the Moebius Batman tunic. And I did run into some paint lifting issues then as well. I was hoping it was an isolated incident then, but maybe it's just a fragile paint that doesn't like to be masked. Anyway, I'll try to lightly sand the edges where the paint lifted to eliminate the step and mask and spray again.

Dan

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 05:39:13 pm »
Methinks you will have many more trials in this build that will test your patience more than a bit of lifting primer.  Chin up!  Head down!  Charge!  (wait, that might be nonsensical)  Right then, Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 06:44:35 pm »
Just wanted to check in with this build to say that there has been no progress, but I have backtracked some. I did not like anything about the work on shuttle bay or the bridge, so I have stripped everything down and started over. I also picked up some clear resin shuttle bay pieces off of eBay for $15, and I will try using those instead of the opaque kit parts. If I continue to not like the results, I will ditch the bay and the bridge and just build it without those. I'm leaning that way already. Hey, I did say that this was going to be a 5 year project.

Think I may start light blocking the saucer next, just to do something I don't need a magnifier for. Also, if I forgot to mention it before, I did end up getting the smoothie saucer halves. I will try to have a bit of progress in the next post. Thanks for checking in.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:48:34 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Enterprise © Bloc