Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 9890 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2017, 07:20:13 am »
All is good Steve. I did a burn in on the LED strips and there were no burnouts. Now onto the fun part. Seam work. ::)

What are you gonna sew? I'm not sure a sewing needle will easily go through the styrene! (Seam work. Get it?!)

okay, so it's a Dad joke - a pretty bad one at that - I'll admit!

LLAP!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:11 pm »
I'm not sure a sewing needle will easily go through the styrene! (Seam work. Get it?!)

Sure it will. You just drill a bunch of little holes on either side and the needle goes right through. ;D
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2017, 12:26:00 pm »
Thanks for the updates, Dan!  I am still enjoying reading them.  It was nice to have a video update too.

I have noticed that there are two approaches to the bussard lighting spin: Motor with "fan" and rotating led's to simulate spin.  I was wondering why you chose the simulated spin as opposed to the physical spinning motor.  They do look good, but I expect to have to make that choice one day as well, so I would like to know how you chose.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2018, 12:36:33 pm »
Thanks for the updates, Dan!  I am still enjoying reading them.  It was nice to have a video update too.

I have noticed that there are two approaches to the bussard lighting spin: Motor with "fan" and rotating led's to simulate spin.  I was wondering why you chose the simulated spin as opposed to the physical spinning motor.  They do look good, but I expect to have to make that choice one day as well, so I would like to know how you chose.

Thanks digitani. The main reason I chose the LED simulated spinning was a combination of reasons, but mostly because of the recommendations of Boyd on his commision builds. Motors being mechanical, they may at some point fail, and then you're stuck. Also the ones that were available from Round 2 for this kit were very noisy. I heard them 'live' in a local hobby shop, and that kind of sealed the deal for me. Barring an unforeseen electrical catastrophe, the LEDs may outlive me.

That being said, Ralph at TenaControls has come up with a new 50th anniversary board/motor combo that is very intriguing. It fits the existing kit parts and works like the Round 2 versions, but much quieter. If I were to ever do another TOS 1/350, I might go that route just because Ralph's stuff is top quality. Hope this helps.
Dan

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2018, 07:35:20 pm »
I'm not sure a sewing needle will easily go through the styrene! (Seam work. Get it?!)

Sure it will. You just drill a bunch of little holes on either side and the needle goes right through. ;D

Seems like it should work. :P
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:06 am »

Seems like it should work. :P

::)

Wow. And I thought mine was bad!  ;D

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2018, 09:27:47 pm »
Hello all. Decided to do a quick update. Haven't been working on the TOS a lot. Other group builds, holidays, and the winter blahs all contributed to a lack of progress. Oh yeah, and frustrating nacelle seams. I don't know how Boyd churns these things out so 'fast'.

Anyway, I think I have the nacelles almost seam free. One stubborn spot is re-puttied and will be attended to this week. So I turned my attention to getting the wiring for the interior saucer lighting done. It's actually pretty simple. I just placed a single 3-LED strip where the kit kind of dictates they should go, and wired them parallel. I know some have wired them in series, but I'm just a bit paranoid, so I devised a way to do them in parallel but still keep the rats nest to a minimum. This way, if one strip gives out, the rest stay on.

And that's about all I have for now. Thanks for looking in and any comments or suggestions.
Dan

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:44 am »
Hello all. Decided to do a quick update. Haven't been working on the TOS a lot. Other group builds, holidays, and the winter blahs all contributed to a lack of progress. Oh yeah, and frustrating nacelle seams. I don't know how Boyd churns these things out so 'fast'.

Anyway, I think I have the nacelles almost seam free. One stubborn spot is re-puttied and will be attended to this week. So I turned my attention to getting the wiring for the interior saucer lighting done. It's actually pretty simple. I just placed a single 3-LED strip where the kit kind of dictates they should go, and wired them parallel. I know some have wired them in series, but I'm just a bit paranoid, so I devised a way to do them in parallel but still keep the rats nest to a minimum. This way, if one strip gives out, the rest stay on.

And that's about all I have for now. Thanks for looking in and any comments or suggestions.

Looks great! Do not forget to keep paint off the inner ring on the bottom half as it is a glue surface to the upper saucer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:21:58 am by RossW »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2018, 01:58:14 pm »
Nice clean wiring job Dan....

I just had a buddy over visiting recently who's been working in electronics for most of his career including LED instrumentation and he claims people over freak about wiring parallel vs series....  According to my friend, if the LED hasn't failed after initial testing, it won't fail for 10,000 to 50,000 hours depending on the type of LED(s).
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:11 pm »
Nice clean wiring job Dan....

I just had a buddy over visiting recently who's been working in electronics for most of his career including LED instrumentation and he claims people over freak about wiring parallel vs series....  According to my friend, if the LED hasn't failed after initial testing, it won't fail for 10,000 to 50,000 hours depending on the type of LED(s).

I'm sure that's probably true. But I'm also taking into account the possibility that a solder join on an LED strip may pop loose. As careful as we all try to be when soldering, no one is immune to the occasional weak join sneaking by us. It's already happened to me on my long suffering Reliant build. I also don't believe in absolutes. To say it will never happen is to invite the hand of fate to smack me upside the head with a 2x4. Call it a character flaw, it's just the way I'm wired (pun intended). No disrespect to your friend intended. And thanks for the compliment.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:02:17 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2018, 07:46:33 am »

Call it a character flaw, it's just the way I'm wired (pun intended).

Dan - you're punny! :)

This is looking good! And "Thanks" for the progress shots! I appreciate them cause I wanna know what mine is supposed to look like when I do it - which is next after the "C"!

Keep going!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:41 pm »
Are you seriously taking up needlepoint?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »

Looks great! Do not forget to keep paint off the inner ring on the bottom half as it is a glue surface to the upper saucer.

Good point Ross! I had forgot about that. Thanks for reminder.
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2018, 08:57:19 pm »
Are you seriously taking up needlepoint?

If it helps with the build, I might consider it. ;)
Dan

Enterprise © Bloc