Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 3220 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:46 am »
Hey Dan.  :)
 I understand your thoughts on the bridge and the shuttle bay.....especially the bridge. I don't think anyone is thrilled with how theirs turns out. I know I wasn't. I was satisfied that it was as good as I could get it and it was ....  OK. It is just too small to do a really good job on.
  As for the shuttle bay it should be easier with the clear one. Dealing with the windows on the opaque one wasn't fun.
  Don't get disheartened. You'll do fine and you'll have a beautiful ship when you're done.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Online AlW

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 05:10:01 am »
Dan, you didn't say what happened that made you scrub your first try at the bridge and shuttle bay -- maybe there's something we can help with.  That being said, there's going to be more than a couple parts on the Refit requiring Redos!  Fear not, and jump back in;)

Al

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:06 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm still in there swinging, just needed to step back and re-assess what I wanted to do.

AL, what I didn't like about the bridge and the shuttle bay was the colors and I decided the best way to proceed was to start over. I saved all the photo etch parts on the shuttle bay (except the extra booth part that went down the drain before I even remembered it was there), so I can transfer those to the clear resin parts. The only negative about the resin parts is that I will have to use CA glue with the photo etch, and I much prefer Canopy glue with photo etch. Also, the bay floor, while nice and shiny, was not smooth. I think I can do better.

The nice thing about both the Refit and the TOS 1/350 kits is that you can omit the shuttle bays and the TOS bridge and still have a fantastic looking ship. But I know I would feel that it wasn't complete without them, so I will keep trying. But it's an option.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 04:14:42 pm »
Not too much to report. I'm still undecided about the shuttle bay, but I have been tinkering with it. I'm not crazy about the quality of the clear resin parts I received. The details are a bit soft, and they required a lot of clean up on the edges. I'm thinking about just using the clear roof piece with the opaque kit parts.
I can't see any way to eliminate hot spots no matter how much diffusion there is because the smds are going to be right against the plastic. The side walls and back wall are different. I can hide the smd so it doesn't point directly out the windows.

Shifting gears, I decided to light block the saucer halves and the neck pieces. Took a few coats and some touch ups around the support braces and locater pins, but I think they're finally good to go. Next will be a few coats of flat white to bounce the light around. Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks for looking in.
Dan

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »
Hey Dan...thanks for the update.  :)

I'm still undecided about the shuttle bay, but I have been tinkering with it.

I have a suggestion. If by some chance you decide against doing up the shuttle bay I suggest you investigate the possibility of not putting it in the ship at all and finding a way to install a makeshift styrene system to accommodate the shuttle bay doors etc. If you can get away without that shuttle bay in there it would make your life SO much easier!

Just a thought because there was a point when I pondered it but I had already done mine up to the point where there was no going back.  ::)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 05:27:03 pm »
I've been tossing around that thought as well Kevin.
Dan

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »
I can't see any way to eliminate hot spots no matter how much diffusion there is because the smds are going to be right against the plastic.

Have you thought about or explored maybe using Electroluminescent Tape (EL) tape?
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 09:24:46 am »
Have you thought about or explored maybe using Electroluminescent Tape (EL) tape?

It is something to consider, but I've never used the stuff before and quite honestly have no idea how to use it.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:48 am »
Looking good so far, Dan!

Mine, if and when I get around to it, will probably take as long as your's!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 10:45:43 am »
Not too much to report. I'm still undecided about the shuttle bay, but I have been tinkering with it. I'm not crazy about the quality of the clear resin parts I received. The details are a bit soft, and they required a lot of clean up on the edges. I'm thinking about just using the clear roof piece with the opaque kit parts.
I can't see any way to eliminate hot spots no matter how much diffusion there is because the smds are going to be right against the plastic. The side walls and back wall are different. I can hide the smd so it doesn't point directly out the windows.

Shifting gears, I decided to light block the saucer halves and the neck pieces. Took a few coats and some touch ups around the support braces and locater pins, but I think they're finally good to go. Next will be a few coats of flat white to bounce the light around. Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks for looking in.

You may be aware of this already, but those ribs on the lower saucer part are glue joints. I primed mine as well until someone pointed it to me, so just extending the same courtesy. You'll need to remove the paint from both the ribs themselves and where they mate up with the upper saucer part.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:28 am »

It is something to consider, but I've never used the stuff before and quite honestly have no idea how to use it.

No disrespect to Lestatdelc, but EL tape is not something I'd use in a model. It needs it's own power supply and converter (which give off an audible whine) and they don't last as long as other light sources.

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 01:55:28 pm »
Fair points. And thinking about it your points are valid.

Another idea is using the side-firing fiber optic filaments.

This would give you the ability to use regular LEDs and mount them where it might be easier to mount/service and away from where you want the non-hot-spot light as well.

http://thefiberopticstore.com/faq/do-you-carry-side-glow-fiber-optic-filament/
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 07:41:12 pm »
Well, I did say this was going to take a while. Slow progress, but I am starting to move forward again. I'm still experimenting with the shuttlebay lighting. I think I'm going to borrow Karve's idea for the overhead lighting and drill a small hole and drop an SMD down the front ceiling between the two rear facing control booths and point it towards the bow of the ship. It will never be seen straight on without a dental mirror (I'll bet MSgtUSAFRet/Steve has one though). Still trying out things for the control booth illumination. Nothing yet I like. I've got the pieces re-painted and I'm presently layering in Micro Krystal Klear for the windows. And I have the bay floor painted and gloss coated, ready for HDA's masks for the markings. It turned out a whole lot better the second time around.

The saucer halves have been light blocked and white coated on the inside. I'm waiting for a nice enough day to prime the outside..uh..outside, so I don't fog up the basement with lacquer fumes. The neck has been light blocked, white coated and primed. I put a single 3 LED strip on either side, on opposite heights where Polar Lights placed the raised blocks for their system. I tested both the clear window inserts and the white translucent inserts, and I like the clear with a light sanding better. The white ones tended to have dull spots further away from the strip that I don't see with the clear. Ans I added some Tamiya clear red for that upper rear window.

I am also tinkering with the sensor dome light. What I would like is a white one on all the time, except for when I use Boyd's soundboard with the phasers/photons firing. If I could figure a way to have the white cut out when the blue comes on, that would be the ideal. Don't know if it can be done without having the soundboard modified, and I'm not able to do that. If not, I'll leave it unlit and just have the blue come on when the phasers/photons fire.

That's about it. As always thanks for looking in and commenting.
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 07:44:18 pm »
More pictures. The last one I turned the exposure way down on the camera to show as much of the blue as possible. It's a 5mm diffused blue from LED-Switch.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 09:06:18 am »
Dan, this is looking very cool!

It will never be seen straight on without a dental mirror (I'll bet MSgtUSAFRet/Steve has one though).

Why, Yes, yes I do! How ever did you know?!  ;D

How did you manage the red window on the Interconnecting Dorsal? Paint on the inserts?

The IC looks nicely done!

The Planetary sensor is glowing wonderfully.

Keep 'er going, Scotty! Keep 'er going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Enterprise © Bloc