Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 3221 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 10:10:00 am »
Thanjs Steve! And yes, the red on the window is Tamiya clear red. The photo makes it look more orange, but it is actually red in person. The sensor dome is only mocked up for now. I just got the diffused LEDs yesterday in the mail, so that was the first test. I may hook up Boyd's board and resistor a white down a notch and see if the blue will be more noticiable when it flashes.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:15 pm »
Hi all! Just a quick update, because there's not much to update. There's lyrics to a song I just heard recently. Two steps forward, three steps back. Seems to describe my progress on this build. I had my shuttle bay floor nice & shiny, ready for masking, and I realized I had the maskingtape for the bare glue edges too far onto the floor. No problem, I'll just paint a yellow boundry stripe all the way around. Masked it up, painted, and when I peeled off the tape, there were tape impressions all over. Figure the adhesive reacted to the clear coat and stained it. It was still smooth but marred. Sanded the paint off and started over. I now have the red square painted, but not without incident. Took forever to get the mask aligned properly. And it left a little strip of adhesive residue on the edge of the stripe in one corner, but when the paint's fully dried I'll take a cotton swab and some soapy water and dab that clean. Then a thin layer of clear and the yellow circle comes next.

As for the walls, I have the decals applied and I'm going to give them a final dull coat to seal them. I tried Canopy glue, Krystal Klear, and finally Testor's Clear Parts Cement and Window Maker for the viewports. I dusted the rear for diffusion for whatever light source I can come up with. Be great if Boyd would film the shuttlebay construction and lighting with one of his 1/350 client builds. Describing it's fine, but actually seeing it done would be awesome. Thanks for looking in.
Dan

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 05:08:22 am »
Hope the residue comes off cleanly this time Dan! Looks good though, keep er up!
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 07:20:09 am »
Looking good, Dan!

Stay with it! Your decal application on so small a scale as the shuttlebay and making it look outstanding is better than I would have done!

Besides, if it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing!

You're doing great!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 01:41:43 pm »
Looking good Dan!
  The shuttle bay and bridge are definitely super finicky. Keep at it. You'll get there.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 09:25:31 pm »
Been distracted this past week with real world stuff, but I got back to the shuttle bay floor tonight. I had previously got the yellow circle painted, and I was thrilled that I was able to get the circle virtually perfectly aligned inside the square. My geometry teacher would have approved. Tonight, I masked for the gray lines, which I could not tell if they were aligned straight or not because I couldn't see the cutouts through the mask. I did the best I could, and painted. They are not perfectly straight and true centered, but I'm satisfied. When the paint is cured I'll give it a couple light coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss and it will be done. At that point I will glue the shuttle bay pieces together and work on the lighting. It's possible the bay will never be installed, but I still think the effort will be worth it. It would kind of haunt me if I didn't try at all. Thanks for looking in.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:57 am »
Dan, this is looking good to me! Besides, the circle gives the illusion that the lines are bending anyway!

I think you did a fine job on painting the Shuttle Bay floor.

Whether or not you install the Shuttle Bay, you did yourself proud with that paint and masking!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 08:27:20 am »
Thanks Steve! I think you're right about the circle creating an illusion. I lined up the edges with the gridlines on the mat and the gray lines look virtually perfect. My main regret is choosing the Tamiya red for the square. It's too dark. Should have added a drop or two of orange to brighten it up, but that's water under the bridge, or shuttlebay in this case. ;)
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2017, 06:46:40 pm »
Let's see, 2-1/2 months since the last post, should have a lot to show, right? Uh...nope. Been busy with yard work, as well as a couple of group builds. But the Enterprise was not completely forgotten. I was about ready to assemble the shuttle bay and realized I still needed to put together and try to light the shuttle. Got the pylons on first. Then tried my best to copy Boyd by inserting an 0805 SMD inside and running the wiring out a hole in the bottom and then glued the back plate on. Masked up the front windows as best I could, and sprayed it with flat black primer. And again. And again. This little bugger just did not want to be light blocked. But finally it succumed. Shot it with 2-3 coats of Tamiya Gloss White out of a rattle can and pulled the mask. It's not perfect, and all the layers of paint created a ragged edge where the tape was pulled, but when lit, you can't see it. I've got most of the decals on, except for the starboard nacelle stripe, where my last clamp hold actually gouged holes in the nacelles. Vallejo putty is drying and then I'll get that decal on. And the decals on the top of the 'wings' on either side need to be applied. One small step at a time.
Dan

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 07:18:30 pm »
Looking really good Dan! That shuttle is cool and I bet it looks great lit up!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 08:37:20 pm »
Looking really good Dan! That shuttle is cool and I bet it looks great lit up!
It's lit in the first pic Kenny. It just kinda blows out the phone camera, but it's not nearly as bright in person. Might give the windows a light brushing with Tamiya Smoke to tone it down.
Dan

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
Great work on the bay. Amazing that you lit up the shuttle too!
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 07:15:04 pm »
Great work on the bay. Amazing that you lit up the shuttle too!

Thanks! Just tried to copy what I remembered from one of Boyd's descriptions of how did his shuttle. Obviously his looks a lot better than mine, but at that scale once it's sitting in the bay you won't be able to really see the rough edges, so to speak. If I ever get past the shuttle bay, I might be able to make some discernable progress.
Dan

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 09:37:08 pm »
Your little iddy biddy stuffings look great Dan....   Glad to see you back at this.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 09:48:40 pm »
Thanks Wolf! It was never far from my sight. Everytime I sat down at my bench, the pieces parts of the shuttle bay stared at me from their resting place. I'm real pleased with how the shuttle turned out. I'll hopefully get it mounted to the deck floor in a couple of days and then see if I need to add a resistor to tone the brightness down a bit. Then assemble the bay and hopefully get the bay lighting worked out.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:50:38 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Enterprise © Bloc