Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 3084 times)

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2017, 12:22:00 pm »
Sorry Steve! Just been having trouble motivating my keister out of my chair after work. New schedule has my internal clock all screwed up. Hopefully it will improve once I adjust. My laptop's next to my chair, so I keep up with the forum though. ;D

Aw, you have the condition known as mineralitis!! It is a condition where the iron in your blood turns into lead in your A$$!!! LOL

Don't feel bad, I have the same condition!!   ;D

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »
Sorry Steve! Just been having trouble motivating my keister out of my chair after work. New schedule has my internal clock all screwed up. Hopefully it will improve once I adjust. My laptop's next to my chair, so I keep up with the forum though. ;D

Aw, you have the condition known as mineralitis!! It is a condition where the iron in your blood turns into lead in your A$$!!! LOL

Don't feel bad, I have the same condition!!   ;D

Sounds about right, Kenny. Didn't know it had such an official sounding clinical name-LOL
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 04:26:39 pm »

Sounds about right, Kenny. Didn't know it had such an official sounding clinical name-LOL

Dan my friend, I can make anything sound like an official illness!!  LOL

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »

Dan my friend, I can make anything sound like an official illness!!  LOL

McCoy, to the operating room guard,"Dammit, do you want an acute case on your hands? This woman has Immediate Postprandial Upper Abdominal Distension."

Gillian cries out in pain. The guard relents.

Kirk, once inside the room, "What did you say she's got?"

McCoy deadpans, "Cramps"

;D

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:05:58 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2017, 09:04:28 pm »
A quick, extremely boring update. With the shuttlebay assembled, wired, and set aside, it's time to start working on the secondary hull. Step one is obviously, light blocking. So far I have a couple of coats of flat black layed down, and some tulip in a couple of the not-through holes where the plastic is thinner. I think those are the window holes for the pilot version that can be drilled out if you do that version. Not pictured, I carved out the openings for the fantail lights where the PE piece goes, and light blocked that as well. I have a small piece of clear styrene that I will use to diffuse the LED as well as color them with some clear Tamiya paints. Just trying to figure out exactly how to sequence that step for installation, painting, etc. I've also been tinkering with the bridge. I know the steps aren't supposed to be red, but I like the contrast and they will flow with the tops of the PE railings when I get to those. I have the 1/350 L'Arsenal figures, but I'm terrified to touch them for fear they will snap into microscopic pieces. Any tips on the best way to remove them from the mold base and painting them would be appreciated. Lot of words, but not much actual progress. Sorry about that. Thanks for looking in and any comments and/or questions are welcome.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2017, 07:28:25 am »
Dan, you're laying a good foundation for an awesome product!

The second pic, I was like "What is that piece on the Saucer section?!" Then I was like "Why are their holes in his saucer?!"

Then I figured out what you were showing and I was all like "Ooooo! ok!"

I'm glad you brought up the issue with the additional, pilot windows. I would have missed them completely. I'm still sussing out how I'm gonna do mine; leaning toward and idealized version of the Production version; much like the Smithsonian's.

Keep going, Sir! I am watching with great interest!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2017, 05:40:57 pm »
The second pic, I was like "What is that piece on the Saucer section?!" Then I was like "Why are their holes in his saucer?!"

Then I figured out what you were showing and I was all like "Ooooo! ok!"

LOL-hadn't thought about what that turntable looked like from that angle. It's a Tamiya paint stand, BTW. Definitely could use a dunk in the Purple Pond!

Thanks for the encouragement Steve. There are moments when I think, "What in the heck have I gotten myself into!?" with this kit, but it is a solidly built kit. The main issues really do come from the lighting and painting sequences. Boyd makes it look so routine, cranking one out about every 4-6 weeks it seems.  8)
Dan

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2017, 07:15:41 pm »
Everything is looking really good Dan!
  I was away from the hobby for a while so I got behind on everyone's progress...taking me a while to get caught up.  :)

Nice job on the shuttlecraft and the shuttle bay. I briefly thought about lighting my shuttlecraft but I just saw too many ways I could screw it up so I decided to pass. You did it well!

Keep up the great work!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2017, 09:39:51 pm »
Everything is looking really good Dan!
  I was away from the hobby for a while so I got behind on everyone's progress...taking me a while to get caught up.  :)

Nice job on the shuttlecraft and the shuttle bay. I briefly thought about lighting my shuttlecraft but I just saw too many ways I could screw it up so I decided to pass. You did it well!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Kevin! Lighting the shuttlecraft was actually easy. The hard part was getting the dumb thing light blocked. I kept spraying it with flat black, and light kept shining through.😣 Got it eventually though. Was trying to find a way to light those 3 little thingies on top of the hull, but gave up. Too tight a space, and I don't want to push my luck with the hull join, which so far is good. I'll just dip them in some clear Tamiya colors and be happy with that. I've been scrolling back through your build to pick up some tips and see where you ran into problems and how you solved them. Thanks again for re-linking the photos.
Dan

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2017, 06:28:32 am »
Thanks again for re-linking the photos.

My pleasure! I'm just happy (and more than a little surprised) that you guys actually gain something from my fumblings.  :)

Ya, for the little thingies on the top of the secondary hull I actually did put an SMD on the top back of the shuttle bay to try and light them but there just isn't room. If I have the room completely dark I can see a tiny bit of light there but not nearly enough to say that they are lit.
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2017, 06:24:33 pm »
Thanks again for re-linking the photos.

My pleasure! I'm just happy (and more than a little surprised) that you guys actually gain something from my fumblings.  :)

Ya, for the little thingies on the top of the secondary hull I actually did put an SMD on the top back of the shuttle bay to try and light them but there just isn't room. If I have the room completely dark I can see a tiny bit of light there but not nearly enough to say that they are lit.

Now you're just being modest Kevin. Fumblings?-LOL!

I think my theory about the 0805 SMD strips are going to work. I got all the light blocking done on the secondary hull, and have begun the illumination phase. With the new 0805 SMD strips, it allowed me to grind out a channel behind the clear window pieces to lay in a 3-smd strip. I cut holes in the window pieces to allow the smds/resistors to poke through so they wouldn't cause the window piece to fit unevenly. It may not be needed to glue the window pieces in place. The sandwich effect should take care of that. I did a test lighting with everything in place, and I like the result. The rectangular windows could be a bit brighter, but it looks good overall. I also get the light through the booth windows on the inside. I'll put a single SMD on each side of the facing pylon support wall to take care of the back booth windows. The top closes up with some modestly applied squeezing, but it does close. The remaining gap is my own fault from where I got a bit too aggressive when I ground the sprue tabs off. Now comes the fun part of figuring out the wiring paths of the LED strips. Oh, and the photo etch control consoles are attached to the bridge piece. Enough rambling. Pictures!
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 07:20:33 am »
Dan, this is looking good!

I like the idea you had about the channels/relief for the SMDs in the Hull! Nice! It is your build, but, I'd suggest placing some Gorillia snot on the aft end of the SMDs to hold them in place while you dryfit and maneuver the pieces during the build. Knowing my butterfingers, I would tack everything in place just to be on the safe side.

The light test looks very good and I LOVE the shot of the shuttlebay and Shuttle craft! Very "Artsy Fartsy"! (Can I say that here?!  ;) )

Keep going, Dan! This is gonna be awesome!

Steady as she goes, Captain!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2017, 09:45:39 am »
Thanks Steve! I did tack down the ends with CA glue-don't have any GG-and then removed the window inserts and tacked the tape down on the sides. I've started wiring the rest of the LED strips, and discovered to my shock that the 0805 tape I thought was warm white, is in fact cool white. I think a dab of Tamiya clear yellow on the smds will simulate the warm white well enough to not notice the difference.  I saw someone else do the same thing in a build.
Dan

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2017, 09:10:53 pm »
Man, that thing has one hell of a back up light!! LOL

Looks great Dan. The shuttlebay looks awesome!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2017, 10:09:37 pm »
Man, that thing has one hell of a back up light!! LOL

Looks great Dan. The shuttlebay looks awesome!

A pity there's no sound in space. The back-up beeper is out of this world. ;D Wish I could find the fan clip where Picard orders reverse engines and it cuts to the Enterprise backing up with the beeper sounding.

Anyway, I got a bit more done tonight. Layed in and wired the LED strips for the main interior lighting for the secondary. I'm using double density warm white, as per Boyd's preference. I wired in parallel, taking each lead and tying them into what becomes a single (+) and (-) so that each strip is separate from each other, so if one blows they don't all go. In the photo, the side showing is actually the one side that's wired, and the light is bouncing off the opposite inner wall and reflecting back out. In person though, you can see the difference between the cool white I used for the back shuttlebay area and the rest of the warm white LEDs. Hopefully a dab of Tamiya clear yellow will make it more similar. The test fit with the shuttlebay and everything in place shows it all will still close up good.

I just checked when I actually started thid build. November 30, 2016. Coming up on Year One. Thanks for looking everyone.

Dan

Enterprise © Bloc