Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 3135 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »
you can wire a resistor in line with either the + or - line to the strip, thus reducing the current.  I think you will also find that the lights will look just fine with 9V instead of 12V.  Certainly worth a try.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline RossW

• Commander
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2017, 07:23:52 pm »
You're better off switching to 9V than adding a series resistor. I've run LED tape at 9V and it looks fine.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2017, 09:34:10 pm »
I agree with RossW. I've tried it set at 9v. and the lighting still looks good. I've used a multi-volt adjustable DC adapter to test this out. You still get plenty of light. Your build is coming along very nicely. Great job. Looking forward to more updates.
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
http://www.NemVia.net

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2017, 05:00:31 pm »
you can wire a resistor in line with either the + or - line to the strip, thus reducing the current.  I think you will also find that the lights will look just fine with 9V instead of 12V.  Certainly worth a try.
You're better off switching to 9V than adding a series resistor. I've run LED tape at 9V and it looks fine.
I agree with RossW. I've tried it set at 9v. and the lighting still looks good. I've used a multi-volt adjustable DC adapter to test this out. You still get plenty of light. Your build is coming along very nicely. Great job. Looking forward to more updates.
Mark

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to go with running it at 9V. The grilles won't be quite as bright as I would have liked, but subtlety might be better for them anyway. I tested it at 9V and I didn't feel any heat coming through the plastic at all. I do think the LED tape I got is not top quality, like you get from HDA. I ran the secondary hull LED tape, which I got from HDA, at 12V for at least 30 minutes and there was no heat coming through the hull. Lesson learned. Cheaper is sometimes...cheaper.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:24 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your build thread.  I like reading about your thought process on every incremental update.  Please keep it up, and thanks for sharing!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2017, 07:30:24 am »
Hey, Dan!

You know I love the TOS Era and love your build!

Any updates?

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2017, 05:22:22 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your build thread.  I like reading about your thought process on every incremental update.  Please keep it up, and thanks for sharing!
Thanks digitani. Appreciate the compliment. I sometimes feel like I ramble too much in my updates.

Hey, Dan!

You know I love the TOS Era and love your build!

Any updates?

Steady as she goes!

Steve
Sorry Steve, afraid I haven't worked on it at all over the last week or so. Been trying to get my two Halloween builds done before the witching hour, and I may be having heel surgery in a few weeks which will put me on the shelf for 2-3 months. Possibly no bench work in that time.  :'(
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Enterprise © Bloc