Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 4269 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »
you can wire a resistor in line with either the + or - line to the strip, thus reducing the current.  I think you will also find that the lights will look just fine with 9V instead of 12V.  Certainly worth a try.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2017, 07:23:52 pm »
You're better off switching to 9V than adding a series resistor. I've run LED tape at 9V and it looks fine.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2017, 09:34:10 pm »
I agree with RossW. I've tried it set at 9v. and the lighting still looks good. I've used a multi-volt adjustable DC adapter to test this out. You still get plenty of light. Your build is coming along very nicely. Great job. Looking forward to more updates.
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
http://www.NemVia.net

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2017, 05:00:31 pm »
you can wire a resistor in line with either the + or - line to the strip, thus reducing the current.  I think you will also find that the lights will look just fine with 9V instead of 12V.  Certainly worth a try.
You're better off switching to 9V than adding a series resistor. I've run LED tape at 9V and it looks fine.
I agree with RossW. I've tried it set at 9v. and the lighting still looks good. I've used a multi-volt adjustable DC adapter to test this out. You still get plenty of light. Your build is coming along very nicely. Great job. Looking forward to more updates.
Mark

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to go with running it at 9V. The grilles won't be quite as bright as I would have liked, but subtlety might be better for them anyway. I tested it at 9V and I didn't feel any heat coming through the plastic at all. I do think the LED tape I got is not top quality, like you get from HDA. I ran the secondary hull LED tape, which I got from HDA, at 12V for at least 30 minutes and there was no heat coming through the hull. Lesson learned. Cheaper is sometimes...cheaper.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:24 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your build thread.  I like reading about your thought process on every incremental update.  Please keep it up, and thanks for sharing!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2017, 07:30:24 am »
Hey, Dan!

You know I love the TOS Era and love your build!

Any updates?

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2017, 05:22:22 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your build thread.  I like reading about your thought process on every incremental update.  Please keep it up, and thanks for sharing!
Thanks digitani. Appreciate the compliment. I sometimes feel like I ramble too much in my updates.

Hey, Dan!

You know I love the TOS Era and love your build!

Any updates?

Steady as she goes!

Steve
Sorry Steve, afraid I haven't worked on it at all over the last week or so. Been trying to get my two Halloween builds done before the witching hour, and I may be having heel surgery in a few weeks which will put me on the shelf for 2-3 months. Possibly no bench work in that time.  :'(
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:53 pm »
Been awhile since my last post. Since then, no heel surgery, though it will have to be done sometime in the future, but it's feeling a lot better for now. And I have finished both my Halloween builds, plus my Chris Cortel Appreciation build for Chris' You Tube channel.  But I have been tinkering with the 1/350 TOS Enterprise all along. just not much to show till now.

I have basically decided to abandon installing the bridge. The photo etch did not fit well, and the decals provided with the PE set were a joke. If I can't at least make it look passable, then I won't be using the bridge at all. After all, Boyd didn't put a bridge in his first build either.

I am almost ready to seal up the nacelles. They are all primed and wired. Just working out the best way to feed the wiring through the pylons. There will be one single primary power wire for both LED strips and the Bussard board, one negative for the LED strips and one for the board, and the switching wire for speed change on the board. A total of five in all. These are 30awg wrapping wire, so plenty of room in the pylon channels. The boards are hot glued into the front cones, and I'm using cotton to diffuse the brightness. The only hiccup was the use of Krylon Sea Glass Amber spray paint to color the globes. It was very grainy, and too opaque when more layers were applied to smooth the grainy appearance. The test video explains it all better than I can type it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF3DQwcnhXQ

Thanks for looking in. Questions, suggestions and comments are appreciated.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2017, 07:32:13 am »
Dan, glad to hear you avoided surgery; for the moment. I hope all is well.  :)

As for your Bridge - I wouldn't worry about it. I am seriously considering not putting it in mine as well. IMHO, you never see the Bridge through the white dome through out the production run. I know Roddenberry and the SF guys showed a zoom in on Bridge in the Pilot episode, but I don't recall seeing that effect during production.

I had thought of doing what Trekriffic (Steve) had done on his build - make the white dome open to display the bridge but still be white when closed. Unfortunately, in Photobucket's money grab, the thread he had on his build no longer has pictures to show his work. Just a thought.

The Bussard collectors - I watched your video and it looks like you're headed the right direction with the cotton and the scuffed covers. One thought, though, I don't see any of the other colors (red, blue, and green) in the collectors. Are they there and are washed out by the camera or covered by the cotton? The Smithsonian included those smaller colors in their restoration based on production clips of the filming miniature  so I'm just curious.

Keep going - despite your "distractions"! Do you have any assembly pics of the Nacelles? You talked about them but didn't show them so, again, I'm curious. (I wonder if I was a cat in one of my previous incarnations?!  ;D  )

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2017, 12:33:36 pm »
I had thought of doing what Trekriffic (Steve) had done on his build - make the white dome open to display the bridge but still be white when closed. Unfortunately, in Photobucket's money grab, the thread he had on his build no longer has pictures to show his work.

Steve

Hey Steve. You can find the build pics on Flickr! Here's a link to the album there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/albums/72157633905999730

Bridge pics:

https://flic.kr/p/f7MFL5
https://flic.kr/p/f7xspx

Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2017, 12:06:10 pm »
Dan, glad to hear you avoided surgery; for the moment. I hope all is well.  :)

As for your Bridge - I wouldn't worry about it. I am seriously considering not putting it in mine as well. IMHO, you never see the Bridge through the white dome through out the production run. I know Roddenberry and the SF guys showed a zoom in on Bridge in the Pilot episode, but I don't recall seeing that effect during production.

I had thought of doing what Trekriffic (Steve) had done on his build - make the white dome open to display the bridge but still be white when closed. Unfortunately, in Photobucket's money grab, the thread he had on his build no longer has pictures to show his work. Just a thought.

The Bussard collectors - I watched your video and it looks like you're headed the right direction with the cotton and the scuffed covers. One thought, though, I don't see any of the other colors (red, blue, and green) in the collectors. Are they there and are washed out by the camera or covered by the cotton? The Smithsonian included those smaller colors in their restoration based on production clips of the filming miniature  so I'm just curious.

Keep going - despite your "distractions"! Do you have any assembly pics of the Nacelles? You talked about them but didn't show them so, again, I'm curious. (I wonder if I was a cat in one of my previous incarnations?!  ;D  )

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Sorry for the delay Steve. I work in retail grocery, so you can imagine how stressful it is right now at work. TBH, I didn't take any photos of the nacelles because I didn't really think they would be of any interest with just being primed halves with some LED tape wired up in two of them. I will try to remedy that here ;)

On the Bussard domes, I took another look and realized you were correct. I couldn't really see the other colors at all. I dunked the domes in Super Clean and left them in overnight and this time they came clean. I ditched the cotton and used Testors CreateFX Frosted Glass on the domes, trying to strike the balance between 'hiding' the LEDs on the board but still being able to discern the different colors present. I think I managed to find the break even point, and I'm happy with it. The domes will be basically clear frost when it's not lit, but coloring the dome would obscure the colors on the board IMHO. Sheesh! Boyd makes it seem so easy. Another quick vid. No yammering by myself to suffer through this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gQEX6jeKZ4&feature=youtu.be
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2017, 08:11:14 am »

On the Bussard domes, I took another look and realized you were correct. I couldn't really see the other colors at all. I dunked the domes in Super Clean and left them in overnight and this time they came clean. I ditched the cotton and used Testors CreateFX Frosted Glass on the domes, trying to strike the balance between 'hiding' the LEDs on the board but still being able to discern the different colors present. I think I managed to find the break even point, and I'm happy with it. The domes will be basically clear frost when it's not lit, but coloring the dome would obscure the colors on the board IMHO. Sheesh! Boyd makes it seem so easy.

Sorry to cause you to do extra work, Dan. I'm glad it worked out better for you, though.  ;D

Boyd does make it look easy - dang it! Some day we will all live on Stratos in the clouds but for now, Troglyties like me will have to slog it out in the mines! :)

Don't worry about the delays, Dude! I just wanted to let you know I'm still interested in what you are doing!

Thanks for the pics of the nacelles! With those string SMDs, the chillers should light up quite nicely.

Keep going! It's starting to take shape!

Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2017, 06:22:12 pm »
It's all good Steve! I did a 24-hr. burn in on the Bussards, and as expected, Ralph's boards came through with flying colors-pun intended ;D I figured there was no reason to wait and glued the nacelle halves together. Then I realized I don't remember doing a burn in on the LED strips. Oh well. I'll do it this weekend and if one fails, I'll just seal it all up and go without lighting the chiller grilles.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:08 am »
It's all good Steve! I did a 24-hr. burn in on the Bussards, and as expected, Ralph's boards came through with flying colors-pun intended ;D I figured there was no reason to wait and glued the nacelle halves together. Then I realized I don't remember doing a burn in on the LED strips. Oh well. I'll do it this weekend and if one fails, I'll just seal it all up and go without lighting the chiller grilles.

Glad of the sucessful test, Dan - at least on the Bussard collector Tenacontrols.

I dunno, Dan. If the LED strips fail, I think I would still crack it open again and replace them. Besides, after all that work, I would want the chillers to light; that and not living with regret that I didn't fix em.

Your build. Your choice. My opinion and $1.50 will get you an extremely small cup of coffee!

Stay strong!

Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2017, 11:35:59 am »
All is good Steve. I did a burn in on the LED strips and there were no burnouts. Now onto the fun part. Seam work. ::)
Dan

Enterprise © Bloc