Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.  (Read 3809 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: My 5-Year Mission-TOS 1/350 Enterprise.
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
A small update, both literally and figuratively. The shuttle is placed and secured to the shuttle bay deck. I just mocked this up for the sake of a photo, as the rear wall is only taped and propped in place. I applied a tiny bit of CA glue to each end of the nacelles where they sit on the floor, and then hot glued the wire underneath the deck and light blocked the hole with Tulip. The hole had to be quite larger than the wires to allow the pre-wired resistor to pass through it. I angled the shuttle for 2 reasons. First, it hides the wire from view underneath the  shuttle with the port nacelle, and second, I scratched the paint just above the nacelle on the strut starboard side, so that is hidden, too. Saves repainting hassles. I'll give it a ay or two for the Tulip to fully cure, and then I will put the bay together and hope I can properly light it. Still wish Boyd would actually show how he does his instead of trying to describe it. I'm also thinking about adding some resistance to the SMD, as it seems to me to be a bit too bright coming through the shuttle viewports.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 03:58:21 pm »
A small update, both literally and figuratively.

HA! Humor!

Looking good, Dan! I MIGHT ever try to do this when/if I get around to mine!

Keep 'er going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »
That looks incredible.  When I first saw it I envisioned Spock (and team) headed down to the planet of the giants...or whatever they were that threw huge spears.  Spot On!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »
That looks incredible.  When I first saw it I envisioned Spock (and team) headed down to the planet of the giants...or whatever they were that threw huge spears.  Spot On!
Thanks Scott! "The Galileo Seven",  and amazingly, no Red Shirts die. Taurus II was the planet. Had to go watch the episode again too. ;D
A small update, both literally and figuratively.

HA! Humor!

Looking good, Dan! I MIGHT ever try to do this when/if I get around to mine!

Keep 'er going!

Steve
Humor's what keeps us sane, Steve. That and a good therapist. Can't wait to see you build yours. Considering some of the tiny spaces you've been working with on the Protector build, the shuttle would prove no issue for you I'm sure. My 2 issues were getting a perfect rectangle cut for the viewports that small and getting the darn thing light blocked. Was close on the first goal, and the second goal took about 5-6 coats of flat black, I think.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:20:20 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 09:30:25 pm »
Great looking shuttle!
Phil

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 12:10:02 pm »
I angled the shuttle for 2 reasons. First, it hides the wire from view underneath the  shuttle with the port nacelle, and second, I scratched the paint just above the nacelle on the strut starboard side, so that is hidden, too.

I will have to remember this technique for the future...  In fact, I'll probably end up with the shuttle bay doors closed just for safe measure!

Nice work Dan   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 09:10:21 pm »
By Jiggity! I think I've got it! Shuttle bay is all glued together and before proceeding I needed to do a test fit with the 0805 light strips taped in place on the roof plate to make sure the hull halves closed up tightly. What do you know? Boyd was right! I had sanded and ground the roof down to make it more translucent, which had the added effect of giving me more space between the roof and the inside of the hull. Not much, but it appears to be enough. At no point in any of the photos am I exerting any unnecessary pressure to keep the seam closed. Just holding them so I can take the photos. There will be some minimal filling as the seam doesn't mate 100% closed even without the bay in place, but I'm happy with the result so far.

Next up is figuring out how to light the booths and the side windows. Thanks for looking in.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:12:12 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2017, 05:42:34 pm »
A little more progress this afternoon. I may have solved 2 issues with one solution. I was head scratching on how to get light to the ports on the sides of the hull and through the ports on the inside of the shuttle bay. The main shuttlebay illumination I stole-oops-borrowed from Karve's build and drilled a hole through the roof and stuck a warm white 0805 SMD down into the hole pointed straight down and it lights up the bay pretty well. But I tried several spots on the inside of the hull with an 0805 SMD with nothing working to my liking. Then I hit on the idea of grinding a trench along the midline of the window locations and laying in a single 0805 LED strip and placing the clear styrene inserts over top of it. I did sand the insert with some 400 grit paper to 'fog' them a bit. As long as the trench is deep enough for the tape strip to sit in underneath the insert, without going through the outside of the hull, it works. The added bonus is it does a great job of lighting the control booth windows. What does everyone think? Nothing is light blocked except the shuttlebay itself.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:46:15 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2017, 08:00:43 pm »
You obviously have very large hands Dan!!!

:b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2017, 09:34:20 pm »
You obviously have very large hands Dan!!!

:b

LOL. It took me a second there Wolf. I believe it was 'Who Mourns For Adonais' and the hand grabbing the Enterprise. A favorite of mine. You actually feel for the Apollo character, played by Michael Forest. And Kirk's sense of regret for what he had to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6m6eUpFcnQ
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:52 pm »
I believe it was 'Who Mourns For Adonais' and the hand grabbing the Enterprise. A favorite of mine. You actually feel for the Apollo character, played by Michael Forest. And Kirk's sense of regret for what he had to do.

For the reasons above, it is one of my favorite episodes!

That and Leslie Parrish!  ;D!

The build is looking fabulous, Dan!

"Stay with it, Mister. Sulu!"

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 08:18:13 pm »
Thanks Steve! The shuttlebay is certainly the most difficult thing to deal with as far as lighting for this ship. So little room for anything between the inside of the hull and the outer wall of the bay. If my solution works, I will be fairly relieved. But I don't think the solution would work without that new 0805 SMD tape strip that I got from HDA Modelworks. But I still have to actually solder a couple of strips, and the contact points are about half the size or more than regular LED tape.

Leslie Parris was certainly a looker, wasn't she.😍
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2017, 07:51:31 am »
"Captain's Log - Stardate 201707.25. The build of the Enterprise continues as....<fritzzzz! Crackle>"

Kirk: Lt. Uhura, why isn't my log working?

Uhura: We seem to have lost reception, Captain!

Kirk: See what you can to do get it back, Please!

;)

Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2017, 10:01:37 am »
Sorry Steve! Just been having trouble motivating my keister out of my chair after work. New schedule has my internal clock all screwed up. Hopefully it will improve once I adjust. My laptop's next to my chair, so I keep up with the forum though. ;D
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2017, 10:50:19 am »
No worries, Dan!  ;D

Just wanted to let you know we're still here and interested in your build!

Hope you get acclimated soon! (Wonder if they sell greeting cards for that?!)  ;D

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc