Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blade Runner PKDII Gun  (Read 758 times)

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
Blade Runner PKDII Gun
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:17:30 pm »
My next project is the PKD-II gun based of off the gun from Blade Runner. This is the Doppelganger Productions resin kit by Rick Ross. While doing research on the kit, I saw that many of these kits were copies of Rick's work. Fearing that I paid a good amount of money for a possible copy, I was able to contact Rick Ross and he was able to confirm that this was a kit made by him. Now that that is out of the way, I can get to work on this kit! It is a really nice resin kit. I will not have to putty and sand all that much. The section with the most amount of air bubbles and holes are on the back of the main gun part. It wont be to hard to fix this and some of it will be covered. The rest of the sanding will be to just do away with the seams on the other parts. This kit did come with electronics to light up 5 LED lights. The biggest challenge for me will be to reproduce the color of the gun. I want to get that weathered look of steel. I will also need to build some type of display base, or find one that will fit well with this.

Attached are some picture of the kit and some pictures of the actual prop

So now I will get to work on the sanding!

Thanks for following!

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
Re: Blade Runner PKDII Gun
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:19:51 pm »
Here is a picture of a completed kit next to the hero prop along with some other pics of the hero prop

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 09:45:26 am »
SO got plenty of work done on the PKD-II this week. I sanded down all the seams and filled in the bubbles and gaps. I drilled the holes for the triggers and did a test fit on them. I also started work on the electronics. I drilled out all the holes where the 5 red LED's will go. I also drilled out a hole for the on/off switch. I drill out a hole for the switch to fit in, then I used my dremmel to drill into the resin so that the sides of the switch will sit below the surface of the gun. I then out putty over the sides to seal the witch into the gun. I am currently waiting for the putt to dry so that I can sand it down smooth. I will then add some glue or epoxy on the inside to give the switch some extra hold. Once this is done I can start on getting the parts primed and ready for assembly and paint. I am going to take some of the parts to the hardware store. The kit has lots of fake screws and such. I would like to drill them out and replace them with real ones. I think that would look real neat.

Thanks for following!

Mike

You can see more pictures of the build on my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/cmhhobbies/

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »
Today I started replacing screws that were part of the kit with real ones. I found some stuff at Lowes that fit just right. Some screws though are smaller then I was able to get at the stores so they will just have to remain. So far I like how it's coming along.

Thanks for following!

Mike

Offline RockyD88

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 12:27:01 am »
Nice work that's going to be a cool prop.

Blade Runner is easily in my top 5 movies of all time.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:05:21 am »
Nice work that's going to be a cool prop.

Blade Runner is easily in my top 5 movies of all time.

Thanks!
It is a great movie. I would like to get some resin kits of the cars sometime.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:35:28 am »
"Move - Get out the way"!

Loved that bit in the movie just before snake lady got blown away. Definitely a true sci-fi gun icon (and to me personally only "just" beaten by the Sandman Blaster of Logan's Run). Always wondered what the second trigger was supposed to do?

Lovin' watching this one come together.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:37:45 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 07:53:17 am »
Did you see the teaser trailer that came out this weekend for Blade Runner 2049? I'm looking forward to this movie!

I am currently working on the handle to the gun. I drilled the holes on the grips and cut out the section that holds the batteries. The amber grips are slightly to big. When I line of the front of the handle, the back stick out by a nice little amount. One side is far worse than the other. Looking at the pictures, what do you guys think would be the best way to get the grips flush with the back of the handle. Should I build the handle out or should I sand down the amber grips? I do not have much experience sanding clear parts and worry I won't be able to keep them clear if I sand them down.

Thanks for following!

Mike

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 08:48:58 am »

I finished all of the sanding and putty work on the PKD. I attached the battery base to the handle and attached the handle to the gun. I also attached the part where the hammer is normally. I decided that this is a good place to go ahead and to start painting the gun with a coat of black. I will be able to paint and attached the rest of the parts separately. Once this is dry I will add a coat of finish to it. Once that is dry I will paint the entire gun a steel color. This will be the base color of the gun. I will put a thick layer of clear coat over that. The black and gun metal colors will be sprayed on top of the steel. I should then be able to sand away sections of the black to show the steel color giving the gun a wear and tear look.

Thanks for following!

Offline trekker9211

• Admiral
  • Coming home
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:30:32 pm »
Very nice Mike! Very nice indeed! LOVE the worn metal look you've achieved here.
Phil

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 06:12:27 pm »
Well, while I work on the Learjet I decided to start back up on my PKD gun. After watching the new movie two times I decided I need to get this bad boy done. When I last worked on it, I had put some masks on the gun. When I pulled the masks off, it took the paint and primer right off as well. Since I needed to sand down the bad spots, I decided to do a little extra work to it so I drilled out the barrel. Being a solid resin cast, the barrel of the gun was filled in. I used my largest drill bit to go about 2 inches into the barrel. I didn't want to drill to far in because it would be difficult to paint. After that was done I re-primed the gun. I will let her sit for a few days then I will spray the base color of the gun which will be a gun metal color. I will then mask off the gun again and spray some black in the correct areas. I hope this time the paint does not peal off.

Thanks for following!

Mike
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:15:02 pm by Macupar »

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »
Well after looking at many, many different colors for the base coat, i finnaly found one I think I like. I chose Model Master Metalizer Lacquer Burnt Metal. Its a really nice color that is not to dark or to bright. It dries super, super fast and went on very smooth. This paint is airbrush ready so you don't need to add thinner to it. My next task is to paint the secondary color witch is black. At that Point I will probably paint all of the smaller parts as well. Once that is done, I can begin weathering the gun. This will only be my second weathering attempt on a model.

Until next time.

Thanks for following!

Mike

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 05:21:17 am »
Very nice. This summer I bought the new squirt gun that was released here in Japan. I'm planning to paint it up to make it look nice.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 06:40:28 am »
Thanks! That's a really nice water gun. Adam Savage bought one and painted it up real nice

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 08:50:57 am »
I got the gloss black painted on this morning. It's starting to look like the prop! Next I will paint the little parts and get them ready for attachment. I will use one of those parts to practice weathering one. I am still extremely new to weathering so we will see how it goes!

Thanks for following!

Mike

Enterprise © Bloc