Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glad to be here.  (Read 366 times)

Offline ausf

• Lieutenant
Glad to be here.
« on: December 20, 2016, 08:29:02 am »
Hey guys, I'm Jeff from NY.

I'm a sculptor/model builder who is jumping head first into the Sci-Fi realm with the 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

As a warm up I pulled the 1/1000 kit out of the stash and dressed it up as the Defiant to use as a background to the big kit.

I installed some rudimentary lighting, even managed to get gearbox/motors into the nacelles for the bussards, but didn't check refs first and left inner piece clear instead of adding the black lines so the effect is muted. Slapped on some green to represent the Tholian Web episode.

What, me worry?

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
Re: Glad to be here.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:04 am »
Welcome to the group.   I really like the green sheen on the ship.  Really came out nice.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:28:34 pm »
Welcome aboard Jeff! I really like what you did with the Defiant....very cool!
  Looking forward to watching your builds. Jump right in and have fun!  :)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »
Welcome aboard. And clever idea in repurposing the older small scale Enterprise as the interphase shifted Deifant.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline STORMPULSE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:02:36 am »
I'm also very new but welcome. I haven't had a forum presence since a local car Forum faded away 10 years ago. Nice build on the defiant look forward to seeing the 350  ;D

Offline ausf

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 06:37:37 am »
Thanks guys.

Currently waiting on the 1/350 lighting kit, then I'll post the build of the big E. I wasn't planning on buying the kit, my intent was to use Arduino and motors I already have (I do a lot of RC stuff), but was forced to to get the clear bridge and shuttle bay parts (still pissed at that).

By the way, is there a probation period or something or will I have to input the verification image/questions before every post?
What, me worry?

Offline STORMPULSE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 11:15:14 am »
Thanks guys.

Currently waiting on the 1/350 lighting kit, then I'll post the build of the big E. I wasn't planning on buying the kit, my intent was to use Arduino and motors I already have (I do a lot of RC stuff), but was forced to to get the clear bridge and shuttle bay parts (still pissed at that).

By the way, is there a probation period or something or will I have to input the verification image/questions before every post?

I know right all I need is a clear shuttle Bay but there doesn't seem to be a way to get one with out buying that lighting kit which I will not do because I can't afford it. After buying the kit, orbital drydocks paint masks set, paragrafix photoetch and my BEMS lighting kit (shout out to Paul at BEMS) and he's also hooking me up with clear bridge and fan tail. The shuttle Bay is last piece to my puzzle and no one has one for sale or makes repop...I've massed all the paint aND everything. The bay is the final piece I need lol I don't know why they wouldn't sell the clear parts from the lighting kit as separate piece but they won't....it sucks

Offline ausf

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 11:40:19 am »
Yeah, it's not the best approach to making your customer's happy.

I was about to start the build and when I saw the single purpose sprue of bridge and shuttle bay in opaque grey, the alarm bells went off. I started tearing through the box for the clear sprue which isn't there of course, so I balledmy fist and cursed Polar Lights.

Then with my tail between my legs, I went online and ordered the lighting kit, even though I probably still go with my motor/gearbox and Arduino.

I've been around modeling for a while, as a hobbyist and professional and have seen many different marketing ideas, from Tamiya's hop up kits to Eduard's Proflipacks, but never have I seen the subtraction approach. 'Dear valued customers, here's all these clear windows to make a great kit, except these right here, you'll need to double down and open that wallet one more time.'

If I didn't have the Paragrafix kit already, I'd probably leave the bay doors closed and call it a day, but my whistle has been wetted.

I have all the gear to cast resin (just pulled a mold out of the vacuum chamber about 20 minutes ago), but clear is a bear to get right, plus the good clear resins are a bit more expensive and toxic to work with, otherwise I'd make my own and send you one too.

I ponied up, but next time I'll think twice and see what Moebius has instead. I buy models to escape, not to add to the BS we all deal with.

What, me worry?

Enterprise © Bloc