Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer (Now with 50cm baby version)  (Read 6850 times)

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
Hey all

New to the forum but have been building kits for many years with varying levels of success.
But i decided i should finally try scratch building something. I've always loved the brutal, no nonsense utilitarian design of the Omega Class destroyer from Babylon 5. Its one of those designs that sticks in my mind.

There is a kit out by Warp, but its not very big, and quite expensive if you can find one, so i decided it was a good candidate.

Wanted it to be big, so decided on a 1 meter length, which theoretically makes it 1/1700.

Decided i'd give my 3d printer a thrashing making parts for it as well, so first thing i did was create a CAD drawing of one from references, and break it down into buildable parts.

The full drawing looks like this, though i've added details since i exported this image:

It then breaks down into various parts:

The "head and neck":

Rotating section:

Aft section:

Engine section:

So with parts drawn, i started printing. Still need some styrene added for some bits:

And started assembly:

The head is nearly done, some antenna are in styrene, some brass, purely because i was only using what was in my parts box, and just used whatever was there in the size i needed.

The face and guns aren't glued on yet, just there for fitting purposes since they're not done being detailed yet.

Still working on adding parts to the face and head, but have got a load of parts printed for the aft section since they're the same as the neck, so i printed multiple. Have also started on the frame for the rotating section.

Thanks for looking :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:17:37 am by Kingbob »

Offline AlW

• Captain
Re: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:17:26 am »
This is really great work.  It's beyond scratch building, you essentially made your own kit!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:32:15 am »
Damn!

To repair the hole in my floor where my jaw has just hit I must insist that this be sent to me immediately so I can sell it and use to cash to fix the aforementioned hole. ;D

BTW - are you going to have the mid-section rotating?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:06:56 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:16:28 pm »
This build is totally nuts!  In such a great way!  I love this ship, but your scratchbuilding skills are mad and probably going to put the CGI version to shame.  Wow, what project!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:21:08 pm »
Even if i didnt have a 3d printer i figured i should at least have some plans to work from, hence the 3d drawing.
That took me about 2 weeks on and off to draw, the head and neck section has taken about 10 days to build, obviously only some time in evenings and weekends. I have been running the printer a lot though, but its nice i can set that running and make multiple identical parts while i watch tv! Takes time though, the panels with what i believe are missile tubes on the side of the neck take about 1/2 hour to print each,  the greebly panels above and below that take about an hour each.

When i did the 3d model though, i re-used almost all the neck parts in the aft section since its almost identical. Only has 3 unique parts.
I suppose i could have made masters in styrene and then made molds and cast in resin, but 3d printing makes life easy that way. The parts arent necessarily as smooth as i'd like, but i sand or file wherever i need something crisp, but to be honest the texture kind of adds to the detail given the scale. Will probably help add depth come paint time.

I havent got plans to motorise the rotating section, but there will be an aluminium tube running the full length to provide structural rigidity, so it will be rotatable by hand.

I'll probably add some basic lighting in various places too.

Thanks for looking :)

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:40:59 am »
Kingbob,
if you finish this you will be king. This is so awesome. I'm a huge B5 fan and have been wanting to do the same project. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.
And so it begins!
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 11:45:54 am »
I want one of these really bad. I can't wait to see how yours comes out!
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:37:28 pm »
Hmmm.  I was wondering.  If you can print out all the parts on your 3D printer...what would it cost to have you print up another set?  You know, in case anyone here (me me!) might be interested in acquiring one...

I have wondered why Revell doesn't just supply 3D printers to select hobby shops and have you pay to print your model.  No distribution costs and you could have a limitless selection that never retired a kit.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:22:20 am »
Hmmm.  I was wondering.  If you can print out all the parts on your 3D printer...what would it cost to have you print up another set?  You know, in case anyone here (me me!) might be interested in acquiring one...

I have wondered why Revell doesn't just supply 3D printers to select hobby shops and have you pay to print your model.  No distribution costs and you could have a limitless selection that never retired a kit.

The plastic itself isnt all that expensive, about $40AU for 1kg spool. The problem is time. Most 3d printers are not fast at all.

For example, these first 3 test parts i did took about 3 hours to print and there are 6 sets of those on it. Thats already 18 hours. Start adding in roof panels, face panels, gun bases etc, and i think i have about 36 hours of printing so far.

Thats why i'm still using loads of styrene sheet. Could print those parts, but would take 2-3 hours to print just one of the face blast panels, vs 1/2 hour with a knife and some sheet to do them all.

Then theres the messing about with the printer, tweaking/loading models in software, failed prints (took me 4 goes to get the fat antenna on the face right). You've only got to look at the prices of things on Shapeways or Thingiverse

Tbh you're probably better off buying your own printer! lol

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 02:02:50 am »
Your 3D parts look great.

What kind of 3D printer are you using?
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 07:05:25 am »
Fantastic job! Amazing attention to detail

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:07 am »
Would you be able to make the CAD files you created available somehow? I have AutoCAD but no 3D Printer. It would be a huge help to be able to print plans to work off of when I try to build mine.  ;D
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 09:46:57 pm »
I'm using a Robo3d R1+ printer:
https://store.robo3d.com/collections/r1-plus-collection/products/r1-plus-3d-printer?variant=6274616835

They have just brought out 2 new ones though, the R2, and C2, but i dont know what they're like.

I'm still tweaking bits of the 3d model as i'm printing bits, but will post it once its done.

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 11:38:12 pm »
I'm using a Robo3d R1+ printer...

Thanks.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Fozzie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 05:38:40 pm »
Always liked this ship. You're doing a great job on it.

I am also mixing 3D printed parts and traditional styrene modeling on some of my projects.

Enterprise © Bloc