Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer (Now with 50cm baby version)  (Read 7738 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 08:45:22 pm »
Loving this! 

OK, So I am thinking you can print the parts for profit and include instructions (templates and/or schematics) for the the straight styrene.  I can pay for the time, -and- the plastic.  What a piece of art you are building.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline gene1138

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 10:14:45 am »
Love it.  B5 is one of my favorite shows. 

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:55 am »
Have made a start on the rotating section. Building it in 2 parts. The middle, and 2 outer sections so it can be taken apart. And have started adding the printed details to the middle section. Will be using styrene to add piping etc in the large boxes in the middle section as well.

Gonna use a lot of styrene sheet!

And have other parts printed and waiting to go on, for the head, rotating, and aft sections.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 08:27:41 am »
I am very envious sir. This is one of my most favorite ships in scifi, along with the Narn G'Quan heavy cruiser.

Just curious, but once I finish my move in a couple months, I'm thinking about picking up a 3D printer. Would you by chance be willing to share in this amazing bit of work you have done? Previously all there was was Warp models full resin kit, but the thought of being able to build one of these out of a more familiar medium, and lighting it up has been something I have thought of for ages. Don't want to wheeze off your gig here, but I'm really wanting to build one of these myself, and what you have here is amazing. 
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:51 pm »
I am very envious sir. This is one of my most favorite ships in scifi, along with the Narn G'Quan heavy cruiser.

Just curious, but once I finish my move in a couple months, I'm thinking about picking up a 3D printer. Would you by chance be willing to share in this amazing bit of work you have done? Previously all there was was Warp models full resin kit, but the thought of being able to build one of these out of a more familiar medium, and lighting it up has been something I have thought of for ages. Don't want to wheeze off your gig here, but I'm really wanting to build one of these myself, and what you have here is amazing.

Yeah can share the 3d model. I'm still tweaking parts as i print. Sometimes a part doesn't quite work well, or i tweak it to make it faster etc.
For example the round disks each side of the rotating section. I drew them in one piece which would print fine. But when i went to print it, it said it was going to take 4-5 hours because its basically solid plastic. I figured thats a waste of time and plastic, so instead i split it into 3 parts. a cap for each side that has the mounting hole, and a thin ring to go between them. Even then i left the end cap with just struts and just used a piece of styrene sheet to cover it. Ended up at about an hour and 45 mins to print instead of 5!
I'm also adding detail on some parts as i print.

Once i'm done tweaking i'll post a full version.

As you can see, printing the top disk solid would use heaps more plastic and take a lot longer.
Printing the bottom ring, and 2 of the right rings, plus a bit of styrene is heaps more efficient.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:38:34 pm by Kingbob »

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 06:18:44 am »
You sir are a wizard! Thanks for entertaining the idea, and I can't wait to see this beast ready for a confrontation with the Centauri.
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 06:36:24 pm »
So which ship is this to be?  Alexander?  Churchill?  One of the 'bad guys'?  This is really awesome.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 09:04:48 pm »
So which ship is this to be?  Alexander?  Churchill?  One of the 'bad guys'?  This is really awesome.

I havent actually decided. There are some good names to choose from, lots of Greek gods etc, could even make one up.
But really, its probably gonna be the Agamemnon. Otherwise it would be like building a Star Trek model and not calling it the Enterprise.

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 12:20:02 am »
I must be a glutton for punishment. Not even half done yet and already thinking about what ship to build next!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:32 pm »
I must be a glutton for punishment. Not even half done yet and already thinking about what ship to build next!

Nooop.  I'd say this is normal.  Even when you have much to do yet.  As for this kit, "Agamemnon" feels right.  But there are a few choices that would do just as well.   ;)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 03:17:57 pm »

Completely normal. In the midst of half a dozen projects, and I'm always thinking about starting a new kit. Can't help myself.  ;D
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 10:00:16 am »
I have to say I'm still amazed by this. So amazed in fact that I took the plunge and got an Anet A8 3D printer, eventually it will ship and I'll get to play with it. I'm simply in love with the fact you are taking so much time with attention to detail here.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 06:37:40 pm »
I'm simply in love with the fact you are taking so much time with attention to detail here.

What he said!  Love this work!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 12:07:36 am »
Thanks guys. Yeah i'm a bit ADD when it comes to hobbies. Have that many different things on the go at once. Even finish them sometimes! :D

For example, sort of sci-fi, but i built this a couple of years ago. 1/14 scale, truck is about 700mm, trailer is 1180mm. Full RC, mechanical 3 speed selectable gearbox, full lights in truck and trailer (headlights, indicators, reverse and brake lights all work as you'd expect). Took about 2 years, has more custom bits on it than original parts, and about as detailed as i could make it. Anything silver you see on the truck is aluminium including the wheels. The trailer is aluminium on the bottom, but stainless steel sides and top. Whole thing hand built and painted by me.

The Omega has had progress, have started building the side pod parts of the rotating section but ran out of 2mm styrene. Have ordered more just waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile i've started building the aft section.

But have also been working on a 3d printable CAD drawing of my next possible build...

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 12:12:35 am »
I have to say I'm still amazed by this. So amazed in fact that I took the plunge and got an Anet A8 3D printer, eventually it will ship and I'll get to play with it. I'm simply in love with the fact you are taking so much time with attention to detail here.

There is a big learning curve to 3d printing. Theoretically you can print any shape at all. But practically that can mean supports for overhangs which may not clean up properly, or shapes not being symmetrical depending on the direction they're printed. A curve underneath something for example is something ive never really had success with. I try to break my models down into more manageable parts, and think of it like printing a model sprue, and assembling the parts.

Be prepared for lots of failures, but dont get disheartened, like anything just takes a while to learn the best way to use them.

Enterprise © Bloc