Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer  (Read 5483 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 07:12:54 pm »
sooner or later all the model companies will cease production kits and just provide copyrighted plans to 3D printers.  I'd say we are not far off right now.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 07:59:40 pm »
There is a big quality gap to bridge first. No 3d printed part is as crisp and clean as an injection molded part. Always lots of puttying, filling and sanding to do.

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 10:53:06 pm »
Note to self: check my own assembly diagram before gluing!

Luckily its fixable.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 08:30:52 am »
sooner or later all the model companies will cease production kits and just provide copyrighted plans to 3D printers.  I'd say we are not far off right now.

I'd agree with Kiingbob here... it's not a replacement right now. Most 3D printer output needs a lot of finishing work for scale model purposes, only because the surface is nowhere near smooth. The printers that don't need as much are very expensive, and have significant post-print processing required before you even start actually finishing the pieces.

That said, it can be something of a boon for scratchbuilding, for things like generating mold masters and vacuum forming bucks alongside actual use pieces.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 07:15:25 pm »
It may not be here yet, but with this kind of tech:
http://www.metal-am.com/siemens-reports-success-additively-manufactured-gas-turbine-blades/

it can only be a matter of time until plastics are just as sweet.  I can imagine a world where people long for their injection molded kits the way people believe their vinyl albums are actually better than CDs and MP3s.

In the meantime, I'll keep drooling over this Omega!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:14 pm »
There are different types of 3d printing though.
The common ones like i have use Fused Deposition Manufacturing (FDM) which puts down material layer by layer.

That turbine was probably done using Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) which basically has a box of metal powder that is fused in the 3d shape by lasers. Thats the more industrial type of 3d printing and the results are pretty awesome, but the cost is pretty sky-high too.

I quite like the look of Stereolithography (SLA) printers, which use a liquid resin, cured in layers with a laser. The quality is better than FDM, but way cheaper than SLS printing. The results for modelling also look pretty good. I'm actually saving for an SLA printer.

But none of them come close to the quality and speed of good old injection molding. Has high startup costs because molds need to be manufactured, but cant beat it for mass production.

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 12:44:56 am »
Progress update.

I got the bulk of the aft section assembled over the weekend. Needs some styrene work to add piping etc to the recesses on the roof and underside, and still have some detailing to do on the side detail panels, and a couple of little printed parts to add. But since the same details will be on the neck i'm waiting until primary assembly is done, then go through and do those little details all at the same time.

Although i've made them, the guns on the neck and aft wont be mounted until the whole ship is ready for paint since i have yet to putty and sand all the seams. Not looking forward to that part!

I also got all the support mounts installed in the head/neck/rotating/and aft section, so can try it all out on its supporting tube:

From the front of the blast panel on the head, to the back of the aft section is about 720mm! Bitch is getting big, i need to start thinking about a display base, and somewhere to put it!

You can see that only one of the sides of the rotating sections is in the pic, I ran out of the 2mm styrene it was getting covered with so havent started to assemble the other side yet, though the end pieces with scaffolding are ready.

I also used up my spool of grey printer styrene on the weekend so have switched to black. Have printed the interior frames, some exterior detail, and the engine tubes for the engine sections. All in my box of bits waiting for me to get to that stage of assembly:

I have printed all 4 engines, the 4th is under the others, and the last part of the tubes hasn't been glued on yet, but you can see one fully assembled tube. They're each about 23cm long, and the 4 engine tubes alone represent about 24 hours of printing!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:50:30 am by Kingbob »

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 06:44:45 am »
Looking great! This is magnificent to the extreme. I have a 8'x6' poster of an Omega destroyer exiting hyperspace with a flight of Starfuries and a Hyperion cruiser. This build literally makes me drool.

I unfortunately had to cancel my 3D printer order. Gearbest.com did a bait and switch on me, and I refused to pay the additional costs after the fact, sooo.. I'm looking for either an Anet A8 or an Anet A6 (/drool) from a more reputable seller.
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:50 am »
She's getting there. I've cut the styrene for the main engine section, and printed the frame, but havent done any trimming/finishing/etc yet.
Job for the weekend! Not looking forward to puttying and sanding!

Always loved the Omega in action in the Episode Severed Dreams, where they fight for B5 when it seperates from Earth.
And then the battle for Earth where they take out the satellites.

Loves this bit of shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXkIuVLnsFE&feature=youtu.be&t=128
Something about the pulse/pulse/beeeeeam, pulse/pulse/beeeeeam. And then of course when it comes to ramming speed!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 05:57:52 pm »
This is super awesome!  Oh yeah, love Severed Dreams and "Give me ramming speed."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:24 am »
Have been working on the engine section. Got the main section built, the frame, the middle section and the 4 engines.
The 4 engines are assembled from 5 parts each, could have printed them in one whole piece, but i broke them down into individual sections so i could avoid having to print support material, also a bit faster to do as I can print each piece with a different thickness instead of having to do the whole thing at a thickness necessary for the narrowest ring, if that makes sense.
Now they just need a fairly epic sanding session to smooth them out.

Only one of the rear "wedge" pieces in the pic, the other is currently printing. Have printed many of the exterior detail pieces, but they wont go on until after puttying/sanding of the various seams.

Still need to print the various engine mounting pieces, and rear facing guns, then add styrene detailing.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 05:18:39 am »
KingBob, you're making this look easy!  It's coming together really well.  I can see what you're saying about an epic sanding session coming up with your engine housings -- small price to pay, though, for the ability to custom print all the parts you have;)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:19 pm »
"Forward interceptors on the Clarkestown are down, let me take the gloves off the firing teams." 

"Star Furies, fire in the hole, repeat, fire in the hole." 

"Aft batteries, open fire!"

Omegas are awesome, and you are doing this ship great justice!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2018, 02:13:37 am »
Right, time to dig up an old thread!

So i hadnt done much on this project in a while, because i wasnt getting the results i wanted from my 3d printer, and my styrene work was leaving a lot to be desired. I was spending ages cutting and making parts and got a bit sick of it so shelved it for a while. Plus when i drew the parts for printing, i didnt really think about assembly, i just drew the part. Didnt account for locating pins, alignment tabs, slots, etc etc, and it wasnt going together well.

But a few months ago i decided to get the printer going again, gave it a good tune up, some upgrades, and decided screw cutting styrene, i'm going to print as much of it as possible! So i went back and reworked a lot of the model parts to make them suitable for printing, and to make it easier to assemble.

And here are the results! I'm not quite done printing, still have the big blast shields on the front to go, but they're about it.
What you see here is all dry assembled, i designed the bulk of the superstructure to be screwed together, then just have detail parts glued on. Still have to do sanding/puttying/smoothing to adjust the fit on some parts, but i am MUCH happier with the result. Wherever you see a screw, there is usually a small printed "panel" designed to go over it to conceal it. But they will be glued on once its ready for final assembly.

The head:

With its pile of detail parts yet to be attached:

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 02:15:21 am »
There are 2 of the little drum pieces that go front and rear of the rotating section:

Then the rotating section. You can see some interior bracing, its quite rigid given its size.

And the huge pile of detail parts:

Enterprise © Bloc