Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer (Now with 50cm baby version)  (Read 7658 times)

Offline frap10

• Ensign
Re: Scratch built Babylon 5 Omega Class destroyer (Now with 50cm baby version)
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »
Wow great work!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2018, 10:49:31 am »
Work is still progressing on the ship, have been in the sand/putty/prime/sand/putty/prime/sand/putty/prime... phase lately.
The engine section is just about ready, all the detailing is added, and finished smoothing the engine tubes today. Have a last bit of sanding to do on the aft section and it will be ready, then just some work on the head to do.

I have started painting the side detail panels though (the ones where the red missile tubes are) since they just slot in, so i can do them and just drop them in when ready. Am doing some colour testing deciding exactly what colours to use.
In the show it looks quite shiny, with metallic silvers, gun metals, and metallic grey colours, but i think thats more to do with the CGI rendering. To me it should be more matte than shiny, and probably varying shades of grey (light and dark). But i may use some gun metal in a few places so will see how i go.

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2018, 10:57:31 am »
And in other news, you may have seen it mentioned that I have already printed a second one for someone else. They've been flying through it and provided feedback. I made a couple of tiny tweaks to improve fit on a couple of parts, but besides that, it looks like the design is done. Have also finished the instructions and a doco with construction and printing notes. The person i printed it for isnt on this forum, but is on The RPF. My build thread is here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=292082 so you can ask them what they think of it.

That means for those who were interested in buying a copy of the printable files, they're now ready!
Am asking $100US.

PM me if interested.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2018, 07:20:13 pm »
If I only had a printer!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2018, 12:19:49 am »
If I only had a printer!

Out of curiousity I priced it up using Shapeways and almost choked. $1500 just for the rotating section!

The one i printed for the other person i charged $550US for, which basically works out at $2/hr. So same if you want one :)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2018, 04:29:28 pm »
The Omega is as long as a Star Destroyer?  I would not have thought that.  Perhaps I could afford the 1/3400 version.   :P
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2018, 03:50:27 am »
The Omega is as long as a Star Destroyer?  I would not have thought that.  Perhaps I could afford the 1/3400 version.   :P

Yeah its supposed to be about 1.7km long, which seems a bit large to me when seen on screen.

I'm still tweaking the smaller version, had to change a few things to still be printable, a simple resize just didnt work on the design. But a 50cm version uses 1/4 the plastic and almost 1/4 the print time, so probably work out around $150 at a guesstimate.

Enterprise © Bloc