Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question to Arduino experts from an absolute noob  (Read 433 times)

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
Question to Arduino experts from an absolute noob
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:37:03 am »
Hi there folks,

I'm looking at Arduino as a cheap possibility of adding lights, sounds, ambient background sound to a project.

To put it into context, I am hoping to start a scratch build of a 1963 Dalek and thinking of adding some lighting and sound elements. So on power up, the eye lens would ramp up to a brightness determined by the resistor I add to it, there would be the Dalek background "thromb". Mounting 4 or so buttons on the base would trigger a sound sample from the original "Dead Planet" story of the Dalek talking, the dome lights would flash with the voice (usually achievable using a tip 31 transistor attached to the speaker but it may be simpler using code?) But this would play over the ambient looping sample.

Anyone know how possible this is and if so what shields etc. I would need to purchase of sketch snippits I could use?

I have never programmed with Arduino before and I'm not sure about the layouts etc. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Morgan
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline manu

• Captain
Re: Question to Arduino experts from an absolute noob
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:07:15 am »
hi Morgan,

I only did some lighting with Arduino. This does not pose any problem. I started looking for sound but never really got to it. I found this
Soundmodul WTV020-SD-16P SD Card MP3 Playback Arduino
on ebay for less than 2 $, but you'll need a Micro SD card (as low as 3$ on ebay). Other boards for less than 10$.
The problem will be to play two sounds at the same time (background and talking). I don't know if any board is capable of doing that. But for that price I'd probably simply take two of these, one for baackground and one for the talking (only one preset at a time, no multiple talking). Problem solved :-) If the arduino board does not provide enough pins for lighting and two soundboards, you can also use two of these, one for lighting, one for sound. A 5 board pack in Germany is 13

Offline Firebiro

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:31 am »
Thanks Manu,

Great info and I may just use this option for the ambient background sound. I happened on a board, and I mean while looking at something entirely different, that does exactly what I'm looking for, its the Genie 14 Audio kit:

http://www.genieonline.com/boards/

Also there a little further down is the Genie 18 Motor kit, so it got me thinking that maybe I could add some articulation without having to drawl through reams of Arduino code and sketches.

Do you know if it would be simple enough to set up the soundmodul to loop the mp3 from power up? I was thinking about using Capacitors to fade up the eye light and one on the speaker for the ambient sound to also fade up when it powers on.
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline Firebiro

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:33:58 am »
I came across this tutorial:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Playing-Wave-file-using-arduino/

Anyone know how difficult it would be to add the MP3 Uplay module Manu spoke of there and if the TIP31 transistor trick would work for the lights?

Morgan

Enterprise © Bloc