Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/350 Tamiya Bismark  (Read 626 times)

Offline DaveMondo

• Commander
  • Shin Godzilla
1/350 Tamiya Bismark
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:20:02 pm »
Just thought I'd post a thread on this to see if there is any interest.  :o  Now that things are underway and I've (mostly) successfully tried my hand at some PE, I thought I'd share some build pics. I also have the Wood Hunter wooden deck for this. I test fit a piece of it last night and it looks really good. Now if I can pull off the application! Cheers.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:26:28 pm by DaveMondo »
It is the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
Re: 1/350 Tamiya Bismark
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »
Cool
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:46:11 am »
Looking good Dave....   I built this one without any extras about 20 years ago.

Just this past weekend I came across a Craigslist ad for the Trumpeter 1/200 version plus the dude bought ALL the extras available....  He started a bit of assembly then sold the whole thing to me for $60.  :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:16:21 am »
I'm building a 1/350 Bismarck too. I have a lot of videos of it being built on my YouTube channel if you want to check them out.

Scott.

Offline DaveMondo

• Commander
  • Shin Godzilla
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:10 am »
I'm building a 1/350 Bismarck too. I have a lot of videos of it being built on my YouTube channel if you want to check them out.

Scott.

I'm kinda winging this and would like some insights , especially into the order of when to do things. I just looked up your channel, that's a ton of videos on this! Thanks in advance Scott. I'll be watching some tonight :)

Dave
It is the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.

Offline DaveMondo

• Commander
  • Shin Godzilla
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:01:26 am »
Looking good Dave....   I built this one without any extras about 20 years ago.

Just this past weekend I came across a Craigslist ad for the Trumpeter 1/200 version plus the dude bought ALL the extras available....  He started a bit of assembly then sold the whole thing to me for $60.  :b

1/200 would be HUGE! $60 sounds like a great deal, glad you found that. :)

Dave

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:35:34 pm »
Looking good so far Dave!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »
Looks good so far. Will be cool to see the PE details after painted, etc.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:14:23 pm »
1/200 would be HUGE! $60 sounds like a great deal, glad you found that. :)

Dave

The jury is still out on whether or not this was such a great deal....   I've been watching some of Scott's (AussieTrekkie) videos to try and figure out how to deal with this thing.

The original owner started work on the hull, the superstructure, and the main guns.....  so he already put together styrene, PE, brass, and even some smaller sections of the wood deck, but nothing is painted yet so I'm not sure what his plan of attack was.

I've never dealt with the wood decking b4, (which does look great), but it seems to me you would want everything else finished and painted b4 you add the wood.

Add to all that, he tossed out most of the original packing and there are loose pieces that need to be identified.....   Maybe I just bought myself a cheap ticket to the funny farm?

I'll definitely be tuning in to your build as well to see how you deal with some of this assembly....

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline DaveMondo

• Commander
  • Shin Godzilla
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 10:16:49 am »
Hey Guys,

Busy with some kitchen renos lately, BUT I managed to fit some work on the Bismark in.  ;D
Added some more PE details and primed most of the super structures and the main turrets. Also got the rest of the Wood Hunter deck installed. That was a real pain, getting it even and all the wrinkles and air bubbles out was time consuming...in fact it still needs a little more work but it's mostly there. Anyway, really enjoying this one and I'm starting to get into the whole PE thing. Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the tedium, but I'm finding it fun. Makes more "mini projects" inside the macro project. Painting the hull soon too which should be fun.  8)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:18:28 am by DaveMondo »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 10:24:04 am »
Looks good Dave. I've not had a build yet where the aftermarket wood decking is used. Would it be fair to say it's similar in thickness to paint masks like are used on the E Refit and the like? A nearby LHS has a 'used' (read not sealed) Revell 1/350 with the aftermarket decking included for $100. Got my eye on it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:28:38 am by pakratt840 »
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline DaveMondo

• Commander
  • Shin Godzilla
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 10:44:13 am »
Looks good Dave. I've not had a build yet where the aftermarket wood decking is used. Would it be fair to say it's similar in thickness to paint masks like are used on the E Refit and the like? A nearby LHS has a 'used' (read not sealed) Revell 1/350 with the aftermarket decking included for $100. Got my eye on it.

Yes, that's exactly what it's like. Super thin with an adhesive backing and laser cut "board" detail. It actually pretty tough stuff tough, I was horseing/stretching into place more than a couple times and it held up well. Came with the PE for the anchor chains and some other small deck details. Based on what I've read about painting the decks and the work to detail it, I thought I'd try the big giant sticker approach. I dig it, worked out well!

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 10:08:12 am »
Super cool build!! Love the old battleships!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 07:53:09 pm »
I built a lot, and I mean a LOT of these when I was a kid.  Looking at your build it is really making me think about building one now.  And, I suspect the quality will be much better than 40 years ago!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Enterprise © Bloc