Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition  (Read 2121 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:02:11 pm »
EDIT NOTE>>>
 When Photobucket decided to stick it to us all I deleted my account with them. After that I discovered that some of my pictures on there were not backed up locally, so they're lost. However, luckily I hadn't gotten too far in my build yet so there wasn't too much damage done. I'll try and replicate some of the lost pictures as I can.

Hi all
 I'm going to stray from the world of SciFi for a bit and start my 1/350 scale Minicraft Titanic, the Centennial Edition. (Yup...I can't seem to get away from these 1/350 scale things!)
  We all know the story of the iceberg and all the lives needlessly lost. The reason I have a special interest in this ship is because I had a relative on board. My branch of the family came to Canada in 1845 and his branch stayed in England. He was a steward on the ship....he didn't make it off.

Anyhoo, I'm planning on lighting this ship. I'll be using some strip lighting and no doubt lots of fibre optics and SMD's. It will be a challenge, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'll have to try and plan ahead but there are so many layers to the decks on here that it will be hard to do. What else is new...I don't know what I'm doing!  ::)

I have on order 6 (count 'em 6!) photo etch sheets from www.tomsmodelworks.com to finely detail this guy so I plan to spend the time and do the best job I can. I will be doing other things mixed in but this will be a big project for me. 

One piece of good news..anyone who has followed my 1/350 TOS Enterprise build i just finished will know what I mean when I say... Yay! ... very little in the way of seam work or decals!  ;D ;D

Wish me luck!

First off is the pre assembly picture.

The first order of business is to drill out all the port holes on the hull. There are probably a good couple hundred of them but more good news..the port holes are round! Should be an easy go of it.  :)

Thanks for looking. Hopefully I can give you good folks some interesting pictures and updates as I go.  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:33:56 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Online AlW

• Captain
Re: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:09:20 am »
Did you say 1/350?  Go for it, Kevin, you're on a roll!  It'll be fun to watch:)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »
Another 1/350?!?

You, Sir, are a glutton for punishment!

I like that! It reminds me of ME!

Any particular reason you picked this model? Are you gonna do some new technique?

It will be fun to watch!

Good luck with this build, Kevin!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:35:14 pm »
You, Sir, are a glutton for punishment!
I like that! It reminds me of ME!
Any particular reason you picked this model? Are you gonna do some new technique?

Ya you got that right Steve!
  Other than the fact that I have a family link to the Titanic and I've always been fascinated by the events, it's just a beautiful ship. As far as techniques ... not really. I'm looking forward to the challenge of lighting it. I think it could be complicated with the many decks and lit vs. non-lit areas. It should be interesting!

Speaking of which, I have my first update.
  Not very interesting but I got all the windows drilled out in the hull. Man oh Man there were a TON of them! Thank God they were just simple round holes and not oval / rectangle like on my Voyager build or I'd be a year just doing that!

I think next up I start working on the main deck and figuring out the best way to light the bottom.Of course there will be plenty of light blocking involved as usual.

Thanks for looking!
Kevin

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:20:41 pm »
Looking good Kevin! Part of the fun of this hobby for me is watching other's projects and discovering an interest in a subject that I wasn't aware of before.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:08:16 pm »
Thanks Dan.  :)
  I'm a bit slow getting a real start with this. I've been taking a bit of a break while slowing working away at my Moebius Penguin build. I think I'll finish him up and then go at this one.
  I did get all the parts washed so once I'm ready it'll be ready to go.

Kevin

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:25:15 pm »
Good start Kevin.... I've passed on this kit a few times now, not because I didn't really care for the subject, (which I do), but because of the mixed reviews ppl put out there about Minicraft....

So I'm quite happy to see a Guinea pig step up to the plate for a 1st hand report and example   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:20:49 am »
My Gosh that is alot of port holes! Please tell me you didn't do all of them with a pin vise?!

Family link, eh?! I, and probably others, would love to hear about the family link to the ship and or event if you are willing to share. It is cool to know there is a personal reason behind a build, a memory, a feeling, a connection of sort, to that actual subject material that seems to add meaning to the final product!

Still watching and enjoying the thread!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 04:16:40 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys..  :)

My Gosh that is alot of port holes! Please tell me you didn't do all of them with a pin vise?!

Oh Lordy no Steve! I used my dremel..  :)

Family link, eh?! I, and probably others, would love to hear about the family link to the ship and or event if you are willing to share

I wish there was more to tell Steve, but there really isn't. His first name was Harold and he came from Southampton in England. He was a steward on the Titanic, and he went down with the ship. That's really all I know. Unfortunately the records on him are pretty sketchy, but I do know he was a relative and I know he was there.
  However, that's still enough to feel a bit of a 'connection' to the ship and to him, so that gives me a nice amount of motivation to do the best job I can. Hopefully I can do it (and him) justice.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 09:05:31 am by karve »
Kevin

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 09:00:04 am »
Hi all
 I'm back to work on my Titanic. I'll be working on it exclusively now for a while.
 The first assembly I'm working on is the base. The concept of it is really nice and I want to stick with it.
Just dry fitting it together gives an indication of how it will look.

DSC02998 by Kev C, on Flickr

There shouldn't be any problem in running power up to the ship through one of the mounts. There's plenty of room for running a couple wires or a plug up through there. It's just a matter of drilling a couple holes and getting the chassis mount female connector in exactly the right spot on the bottom of the hull. The base is hollow underneath so there won't be any problem running wires and installing a jack and switch.

There is one crummy thing however. The beautiful gold coloured mounting posts were attached to the trees in stupid spots so when they are cut off they basically create hugely mutilated areas next to the seams.

I'm not sure how I'm going to approach improving that look. I love the gold colour but those spots area tres ugly!   :'(
  I have to give it some thought. The obvious solution I guess is putty, sand and paint. I've got them glued together now and I'll think about things for a while. Any suggestions would be welcome!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:37:23 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:28:07 am »
Kevin, those mounting posts are terrible. Sympathies, Bro!

I can only suggest you putty, sand and then repaint the whole thing(s). The only consolation is that at least one side of them may never been seen.

But, knowing your builds, you will fix it in an outstanding manner!

Good luck, Jim!

(Cue "Mission: Impossible" music!) ;D

Steve

Online AlW

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 10:03:11 am »
Kev, I agree with you and Steve and think patch and paint is your best option.  Here's something to consider -- the Alclad high shine finishes, like this brass finish that pretty close to gold looking:

http://alclad2.com/finishes/high-shine/alc-109-polished-brass/

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 06:08:31 am »
Yiker Diker Bikers!!!   Minicraft strikes again......     :*(

Next time you drive by a hardware store, you might wanna check out the brass and even copper plumbing accessories?
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 02:44:56 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  I've kind of started with the puttying to see how that goes. Assuming it is OK I will try painting a gold colour again, or maybe a nice copper colour would work.

I have also thought about the possibility of some kind of tubing if that doesn't work. We'll see ...  :)

I do have to keep in mind that as long as they are acceptable it will be fine. After all, they will most certainly not be the centre of attention. If they are, then I've done a pretty crappy job with the rest of it!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:32:39 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 02:36:08 pm »
I thought I'd do a light test on my Titanic last night. I gave the inside of the hull a coat of white, taped a length of warm white LED strip to the underside of the main deck and lit it up.
 I must say it looks pretty good! The deck has no light blocking or anything done to it yet but the windows in the hull light up very nicely and evenly.  :)

I'm still working on the posts for the base. I'm also running a couple other options throught my little pea brain in case this doesn't work, but one thing at a time.  :)

Thanks for looking!
Kevin

Enterprise © Bloc