Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition  (Read 1512 times)

Offline AlW

• Captain
Re: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 04:57:39 pm »
Nice windows, Kev, especially the square ones!  Any secrets on how uniform you made them?
Al

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 03:34:48 am »
Nice windows, Kev, especially the square ones!  Any secrets on how uniform you made them?

Thanks Al!
   Well I wouldn't share this secret with just anyone .....   and don't tell anyone.......but but my secret was to let minicraft do it.  ;D
  It came with the square holes open.....
 ;D
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 02:11:50 pm »
Well here's the scoop folks....  :)

Several years ago I actually started working on an older version of this kit. It was long before I had any air brush, proper tools, or any modelling skills to speak of. I got a fair ways into it and decided that it just was not looking good and I got discouraged and quit it. I packed it away in a tote and forgot about it for years.
  Anyway, I got the idea the other day to dig it out and use it as a guinea pig unit so I can plan and test to make sure I have the proper wiring etc set up for lighting the good one I'm working on now. There are many rooms ... and rooms inside rooms on this kit so I will have to plan way ahead to make sure I don't miss anything. I think it will be a big help to be able to see what's coming up before I get to it!

Here are a few pictures of the old kit. I'm gluing a few more of the sub assembly rooms together so I can get it semi put together. Then I can play with lighting ideas.
  As you can see, I did get a fair amount done to it, and you can also see that it wasn't looking too good. Hopefully I'll be able to do a better job this time!  ;D

I ran some strip lighting along the inside just to get an idea of what I should do. By the looks of things that will be tha way to go for the most part.

Also, I have been working on those mounting posts. I've decided that I can't really make them look any good. The fit just isn't good enough. I found the ones from the old kit and they do look a bit better than the ones from the new one, so I'm just going to go with them.

I am going to get some supplies tomorrow and then I will be able to get the base wired up and glued together. Then I can get to work on painting the hull and then I'll make some good progress!
 Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:14:35 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 02:34:18 pm »
I finally got a good start at my model this weekend.
  Once I decided to go with the mounting posts that came with the old kit, and I got the switch and plug I needed for the wiring, it was finally time to get the base glued together. Once that was done I got the wiring run. It was definitely the easiest base wiring I've ever done!

DSC02999 by Kev C, on Flickr

In order to get the power up to the ship it was just a matter of drilling a couple holes in the base and in one of the clear mounts that the ship will sit on. very simple and straight forward. (I like that!)
 Once that was done I centred the ship on the base, did a bit of measuring and drilled a small hole in the bottom.... done!
DSC03000 by Kev C, on Flickr
DSC03001 by Kev C, on Flickr

I need to get the hull all painted and clear coated before I actually run the wire out of the bottom.
  The next thing I did was install the LED strip on the bottom of the main deck. I had already painted it so it was time for that. (The deck is a nice tan wood colour, but the lighting sucked when I took the pictures so it looks way off)
DSC03002 by Kev C, on Flickr

As far as I can figure I got the proper number of wires running up through the deck for the decks to come ... I hope!  ::)
DSC03005 by Kev C, on Flickr

Of course there is a bit of a fit issue at the front where the deck meets the hull. I had to dremel a bit to get an OK fit, but I'll still have some filling to do for light blocking etc.

So anyway, I've finally got a start at it. Hopefully I won't mess it up too badly!
Thanks for looking.  :)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:42:39 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 03:35:04 pm »
It's coming together nicely, Kev.  Fun following a build so different from scifi!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 07:56:42 am »
This is looking Excellent, Kevin!

As always, your attention to detail is astounding!

Keep at it!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline jazzydog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 05:15:24 pm »
Interesting build to watch progress!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 05:38:57 pm »
Thanks guys.
  Since it's not a scifi build I don't really expect a lot of interest, but it should be interesting to see it come together, especially if the lighting works like I hope it will.

I got the hull primed yesterday and should hopefully start painting it in the next couple days. That should at least get it starting to look like something.  :)
Kevin

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 07:44:36 pm »
I like ships.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:53 pm »
Hi all  :)
  It's been a while since I posted anything here (or anywhere else for that matter). It's been a busy time plus I hurt my back a while ago so I haven't really been able to do much. However, I have gotten back at it so I thought I'd do a bit of an update.

First up, I got the hull painted it's main colours. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I'm really pleased with the colour of the antifouling (under the water line). A lot of the colours on this ship are a bit open to interpretation. However, according to the references I've found, and the 1997 movie, I managed to get the colour pretty close to accurate.

021 hull painted 2 by Kev C, on Flickr
020 hull painted 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

There is a coloured band that goes around where the black meets the white, however there are decals for those. I'll attempt to put them on at some point when the time is right.

The other thing I've been doing is preparing everything to get the first deck put onto the hull. Of course that involves a lot of planning for the lighting...which is of course a 'make it up as I go along' thing.
 The lights inside the various rooms should be fairly straight forward. I'll use SMD's or 3mm LED's, whichever works best for the size of the room. However, one area that interests me is the external lighting and in the various walkways. I've been looking at screen shots (as well as watching the movie while I was off work with my back) and one thing that caught my eye was the lights on the outside walls like in the picture below.
abandon-ship-scene-titanic-1997-dt6rxc by Kev C, on Flickr

Obviously the answer for that is fibre optics.
  I figured out what I would need for the first and second deck rooms at the back of the ship and ran them up through the deck.
022 FO for lights by Kev C, on Flickr

I put the first big room together for the main deck, light blocked it, and kinda set it in place and did a rough (Really rough!) version of lighting the interior and the exterior wall lights. Actually I think it will work quite well!
023 lighting test by Kev C, on Flickr

Light blocking is a pain for this guy. Not only do all the walls need it, but every deck needs it as well. I've seen pictures of a couple kits that guys lit without light blocking the decks. At first you think it looks cool until you look closer and the decks are all lit from underneath ... it just isn't right!  :o
 The one area where it could be a real problem is along the top and bottom edges of the rooms. It may not be possible to light block them all properly,  but I'll have to tackle them one at a time and see what I can do.
  Anyhoo...thanks for looking! I'll post more as I go along.  :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:24:27 am by karve »
Kevin

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 03:36:13 pm »
I love the attention to details.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 08:24:19 am »
its great to see the original predecessor from the same company as my subject, the QM2, being built as well. I don't envy you though when it comes time to do the rigging. I think that's the only reason I have never bought a kit of this subject  ;D
I shall enjoy watching you build this beautiful liner up. It does scream for lighting!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 12:28:56 pm »
I don't envy you though when it comes time to do the rigging.

Thanks MH ...I was trying not to think about that!  ;D ;D

But seriously folks ... I actually have been thinking about it some. The thread/string that was included in the old kit I have is way too thick. I think it would have overpowered the model. You can see it in the pictures of the old kit I posted here.
  With this reissue I believe they overcompensated and made it way too thin...we're talking human hair thin. I can barely see it, let alone try and work with it!  ???
  Therefore I decided to compromise and I raided my wife's sewing kit (with her permission of course ...I'm not quite as dumb as I look!  ;D ) and took a roll of grey thread. It's much thinner than the stuff in the first kit, but it's much thicker than the thread from the new kit. I think it will work much better.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:41:32 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 03:12:09 pm »
Very nice detail there Kevin.....   Can't wait to see how you build the ice berg!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 03:49:04 pm »
Very nice detail there Kevin.....   Can't wait to see how you build the ice berg!

Thanks ImWolf! After all the work that's going to go into this baby I don't think I'll be sinking her..  ;D

I was doing a bit of work on things after work and I thought I'd take a picture of this....
  There are some who might say I've really flipped out this time ...and I might tend to agree. Below is a picture of the sheet of photo etch for the windows in this kit after giving it a coat of primer.....

My eyes are going cross eyed just thinking about working with these!  :o
024 window photo etch by Kev C, on Flickr

Oh well  ... truth be told I'm looking forward to it! My thinking is that if I paint them first (they are all the same colour) then put a coat of future on them they might stay nicer when I detach them and install them....we'll see.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:33:36 am by karve »
Kevin

Enterprise © Bloc