Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Matt OBrien

• Lieutenant
Re: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 01:52:42 pm »
Thanks Kevin......you flatter me. I'm having an "Aw shucks" moment right now. To be honest, I just copy-cat most of the other builds I see and try to come close to what they've done. I have a 7X Opti-visor that helps me spot things that are out of whack before I call it good and move on to the next part.

The build that set me off down the path of "no return" was the one featured on it's own website......the lighted waterline model linked above. The guy that built that is not of this earth. The things he was able to do at 1/350 scale is mind blowing. Machine turned telegraphs and ship's bell?......I mean, c'mon!

It's easy to get sucked into doing heavy detailing and flaw corrections.....and before you know it, you're hundreds of dollars and hundreds of months deeper into the build. I'm glad you got a little inspiration from my build. I'm using yours to give me a swift kick in the rear to start back up. The problem I'm facing is correcting the 70-some deck and roof vents on the ship. Not a single one is correct and many are just plain missing.

Can't wait to see what you have to post next. I look forward to it!

Regards,

Matt
The older I get, the faster I was.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 03:48:50 pm »
Those Titanic build links you posted are total eye-candy Matt....  Almost "suspended disbelief".

(That's when you see something you know is physically impossible, but there it is).

Thanks for posting   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2017, 01:01:51 pm »
Kevin, I still think you are doing an awesome job on this build! You, sir, inspire me to think I can do a TOS 350 build, too! (If I get through all my Sci-Fi builds, I might consider some real life building!)

Keep it going! I love the window and light effects you have so far!

Matt, it's always a priviledge to meet "new" builders to the site! Can't cruise by your site, but it is on my "to-do" list!

Steady as she goes, Kevin!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2017, 01:26:49 pm »
OK well it's time for a quick update folks.
  I'm on vacation this week so I'm hoping to get some good size chunks of time to work on my model, so here we go.

First however, I have to kick myself in the arse. :-[

After reading the encouraging post from Matt and seeing the outstanding quality of work that he has put into his build so far (not to mention the one that the other fellow Art did) I had a look at what I was doing and had done so far .... and I realized that I really need to kick my game up several notches. I know I simply don't have the talent to approach their level, but I can do better than what I've been doing.

There is simply no excuse for what I see of the seams on the corners of these rooms in this picture.....
044 windows 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

I know how to putty and sand seams to make them invisible ... so why didn't I do it for these? Laziness? Just didn't think of it? Dunno ....
Yes I'm zoomed in huge on this shot and they're barely noticeable when looking at it from any distance, but I can do better than that. I will try and fix these up a bit but they are already glued to the ship so I'm limited in what I can do for these. However, there will be no more seams looking like this!  There are also other things that I need to improve on, so it's time to suck it up and get to it! 8)

Thanks Matt for (unknowingly) kicking me in the pants!  ;)

So...onwards and upwards ....

The rooms on the side of the ship at this level can have some detail put in that can be visible from the outside. However, the back walls prevent the light of the strip LED's from getting to them. They are too dark.
047 Side room lighting 1 by Kev C, on Flickr
048 side room lighting 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

I toyed with a couple ideas and decided that probably the best way to get those rooms lit will be with a couple SMD's on the 'ceiling' in the rooms. As a test I taped three of them in the right spots and lit them up. I discovered that they were way too bright so I added some resistance to them and that dimmed them down to a nice level.
049 side room lighting 3 by Kev C, on Flickr
050 side room lighting 4 by Kev C, on Flickr

The room does seem a bit overexposed in the picture, but in real life it's nice.
Now I just have to decide the amount of detail I'll realistically be able to put into these side rooms.

Next up I started working on the long first class promenade walls. They have got all kinds and flavours of windows in them. Most of them have 'frames' molded into them. In order to use the nice photo etch ones in their place, they have to come out....  :o
051 cleaning out windows 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

In the above picture in the circle is the original window on the left and the one that I've cleaned out on the right. It's not a hugely difficult thing to do but it's time consuming. Yup, I need to confront that nasty "P" word again ....patience!  ::)

Once the window is cleaned out I set the good frame in place and it looks pretty good.  :)
052 cleaning out windows 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Like I said, these walls are long and there's lots of windows that have to get done.
053 cleaning out windows 3 by Kev C, on Flickr

I've got a good start at it but I've got a long way to go with them. However, I've seen how great it looks when they are done right...so I just have to take my time!

Thanks for looking ... and reading my rant! :)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:29:11 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2017, 05:51:22 pm »
Don't cuss yourself too much Karve, we've all had that forehead slapping moment before.
Take your time she's looking fabulous. I would have gone blind by now with all that small
tedious work.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2017, 05:56:27 am »
Thanks Tankton .. I needed that  :)

Well I got all the windows cleaned out on both promenade walls. It really wasn't too bad once I got the hang of it. It's just a matter of taking my time and being fussy about it. Of course, some turned out cleaner than others, but over all they are good. The photo etch windows fit quite well for the most part.

054 cleaning out windows 4 by Kev C, on Flickr

There was a set of four windows on both pieces where the molded 'frames' were a complete disaster. There was no way to eliminate them and have the opening for the good frames be the right size. To fix that I just drilled out the opening, glued a thin piece of styrene on top, and then build the proper size window in it.

055 cleaning out windows 5 by Kev C, on Flickr

A little puttying and sanding to get rid of the seams there and it'll be good to go.  :)

I was really pleased with how well that went. Now I have some windows to clean up on the end walls and then I can get that section light blocked, pianted and glued together.

Kevin

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:00 am »
This is looking Great, Kevin!

Like Tankton said,
Don't cuss yourself too much Karve, we've all had that forehead slapping moment before.

Or in my case, banging your head on the workbench moment! :)

I had to do the same on my current build - let the photo etch part be the fine detail - so you are not alone in backtracking! Just don't let it stop you - which you haven't by the looks of things!

Keep plugging along! You are doing wonderful work here!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 04:23:49 pm »
Keep plugging along! You are doing wonderful work here!

Thanks Steve ....much appreciated.  :)

I have just a quick little update today. Like i said, after seeing the other great Titanic builds Matt gave me the link to I decided I needed to step it up so I decided to try and make a couple areas a bit better looking. The first is the two private promenade decks that I had installed earlier.
047 Side room lighting 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

There is one on each side of the ship and if I use transparent styrene in the exterior windows instead of frosted you can kinda sorta see in through those windows. Therefore, I did some research and searching and found what I needed to bring these to life somewhat.
057 private prominade by Kev C, on Flickr

The wall panelling and doors are a template I downloaded and printed out. I drilled out the windows properly and got the photo etch windows installed. After that a bit of 'plant material' and it looks better. :)

The other room I did this to was the Parisian Cafe on the same deck. The window frames were white in there so they need to be repainted. As for the four arch top windows, there were no windows put in those spots at all and I couldn't drill any out with it installed on the ship so I faked it. Still I'm satisfied with how it looks.
056 parisian cafe by Kev C, on Flickr

I'm going to put a couple lounge chairs and benches in the promenade decks but I think that's as far as I'm going to go. One could go right to town and make tables and chairs for the cafe etc. but I'm going to pass on that. I only have about 2% of the skill and patience I would need to take it to that level. Therefore I'm going to go for a representation of areas like these.
  One thing I know is that I definitely need more practice gluing these photo etch windows in place cleanly before I get to the ones on the very top of the ship where they are very visible!

So my next challenge is to actually make some of these lounge chairs and benches. I have the photo etch sheets for those but oh my gosh they are small! Stay tuned for that...it should be an adventure.  ::)

Anyhoo, thanks for looking.  :)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:02:10 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2017, 05:54:11 pm »
This is looking really good. Eager to see more as your progress.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2017, 06:39:48 pm »
Nice, Kevin, you've taken it up another notch and added a good deal more realism.  Keep going!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2017, 09:46:30 pm »
Wow! That is looking totally awesome Kevin. When you mentioned tables and chairs I thought of a 1/350 scale waiter with a white linen towel draped over one arm and a serving tray in the other hand. Then my eyes exploded and reality re-appeared. ;) ;D
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2017, 04:24:34 pm »
Thanks so much guys. I appreciate the encouragement..  :)

OK well ya gotta love the 1/350 scale!

I got the first of many photo etch benches put together....man oh man ...  :o

058 first bench 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

I have to find a way of either a) getting these put together without marking up the paint on them, which I did with this one, or b) repainting them once I have several of them put together without blowing them all over the room with my air brush!

Anyway, this is what one will look like in the private promenade deck when I eventually get to that point.
059 first bench 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

I haven't tackled the lounge chair yet but I'll get to to it shortly.
Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:11:28 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: Today at 07:26:17 am »
Dude! That bench is SMALL! Whoa! I hope you wore loops!

Anyway, as always, your builds inspire me to be cleaner and to be more precise!

Keep at it! I am learning more about this ship through your build!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc