Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition  (Read 1892 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:18 pm »
This is looking great, Kevin! I'm always impressed with how clean your builds are! My bench alas looks a mess!  ;)

That Photoetch stuff looks crazy but I know you'll do a great job!

Steady as she goes!!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 10:00:49 am »
Great work so far! I have one of these coming up in 2018!!
Love what you are doing to it and you attention to the detail!!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 02:35:57 pm »

When Photobucket decided to stick it to us all I deleted my account with them. After that I discovered that some of my pictures on there were not backed up locally, so they're lost. However, luckily I hadn't gotten too far in my build yet so there wasn't too much damage done. I'll try and replicate some of the lost pictures as I can.
  I've switched to Flickr and am in the process of switching the links I can to get my thread pictures back, both here and in my TOS Enterprise build. It'll take a while but hopefully it'll all be good in the end.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2017, 01:00:03 pm »
Hi all  :)
  Well I finally decided it was time to get off my lazy arse and start working on my Titanic again. I seem to have needed a break from modelling for a while so I took the time.
 However, it's time to get back at it and get something accomplished.

Today I just dipped my toe in and did a bit of work that has been sitting on my bench waiting for me....

When last we met, I had primed my sheet of photoetch window frame inserts. After that I painted the whole sheet dark brown, except for one corner which will be a different colour. I also put a coat of future over it when it dried in order to try and make the paint a bit less likely to come off as I work with it.
025 photoetch painted by Kev C, on Flickr

Today it was time to get some window frames installed in the first room I was working on before I took my break. I had put some thin clear styrene in behind the windows, and now was the time to insert the frames. I brushed some Micro Foil Adhesive in each window and carefully put each frame in place. I must say, it was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Since the photoetch is so extremely thin the windows came off the sheet very easily with my hobby knife. They fit into place in the frames nicely and they don't look half bad!  :)
026 first window frames installed by Kev C, on Flickr

The only thing is that on the real Titanic the windows were flush with the outside walls. However, since I had to put the styrene on the inside, on my ship the windows are inset a bit.  ::)

Also, one other thing to note is that because the photoetch is so very thin, trying to file off any little nubblies left when I cut the pieces off the sheet is out of the question. It would destroy them in no time. I just have to cut them off as close as I can and live with the results....oh well ...  ::)

Next I fired up my compressor and air brush and did my first bit of detail painting around some hatches and posts where some cranes will go.
I also painted the bottom half of the front of the room. I think I'm going to have lots of fun detailing this baby....  ;)
027 first detail painting 1 by Kev C, on Flickr
028 first detail painting 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Anyway, that's about it for today. Like I said, I just wanted to stick my toe in and see how it went. Now I have to sit down and review all my plans that I had made as far as lighting and figuring out the order I need to do things in. Once I figure that all out again I think I'll be nearly ready to get the first deck glued into the hull.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:29:38 am by karve »
Kevin

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 01:52:32 pm »
Glad to see you back at it. I know what you mean about needing a break.
I've been sort of taking one myself. This ship is looking great love the added
details.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 04:11:49 pm »
This is a BIG project, so you've got to be ready to take it on!  Sounds like you're there, so roll up them sleeves 'cause we're all looking forward to this one;)

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2017, 11:23:17 am »
Thanks guys ... it's good to be back at it.  :)

This morning I decided to give something a try. If you recall from earlier in the thread I said that there were decals to apply for the gold band around the ship at the top of the hull. I've never been really cool with using those, especially after the troubles I had with the decals on my TOS Enterprise build....a bit gun shy I suppose.  ::)

Therefore I decided to try and paint them on. What I needed was a way to get a nice sharp band at a uniform width all the way around the ship. My answer came when I found the sheet of window cover masking etc. from said Enterprise build. That sheet had several thin bands on it for some use. That was my answer.  :)

I ran those strips around the ship at the right spot ....
029 gold band 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

Then I ran the masking tape that counted on the top and bottom of it being very careful to keep it uniform, then removed the centre strip....
030 gold band 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Painted it and I was shocked to see that it worked really well!
031 gold band 3 by Kev C, on Flickr
032 gold band 4 by Kev C, on Flickr

In truth it is wider than scale, but it really sets the look of the hull off. I'm really pleased with it. I had anticipated needing to do more masking and doing some touch ups, but it really turned out well!
  Now, I just need to touch up a couple spots around the hull and apply a coat of future to protect it all. I should be able to do that in the next couple days.

Thanks for looking... :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:41:22 am by karve »
Kevin

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 12:39:30 pm »
Those PE windows look so much better than the plastic ones! You are really making this kit look
good!
You would be amazed how many times I have seen people overlook that gold trim on their build!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 07:43:49 am »
Kevin, Sorry I  missed the "Welcome Back" train so, ya know, "Welcome Back" to it!

As always, you builds are inspirationally clean (at least for the pics) and well done! Nice masking on the gold stripe.

The PA
Those PE windows look so much better than the plastic ones! You are really making this kit look good!

I'm with Kenny about the windows! Looking forward, as always, to seeing your work up in lights!

Keep going and stay strong!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 03:55:17 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys ....much appreciated!

I've been working away at Titanic this weekend and got a bit accomplished. Overall not bad..  :)

The first thing I did was get the interior lighting done for the Second Class Library that I've been working on. My first attempt involved two 3mm LED's strategically placed in there in what I hoped would be good spots....
033 SCL lighting 1 by Kev C, on Flickr
034 SCL lighting 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

Umm nope.....the light was not uniform at all. It looked pretty crappy.  :-[

So I ripped that out and tried plan B, which I knew should have been plan A right from the start ... Dunno WHAT I was thinking ...  ::)

035 SCL lighting 3 by Kev C, on Flickr

Strip lighting ....only makes sense doesn't it  ::)

036 SCL lighting 4 by Kev C, on Flickr

Much better! It looks nice and uniform and it doesn't seem to be to bright. I was also pleased with how the exterior lights on the wall looked. The fibre optics really did a nice job.
  Once that was done I glued the roof/ deck above in place over that library. It was a pain getting the clamps to hold it down but I got it eventually. I have a feeling that won't be the last tricky glue job with this guy.  ::)

Ok, so once that was done I decided that it was time to get the first deck glued into the hull. I did a bit of wiring to get power up to it through the bottom of the ship ....
036a wiring for main deck by Kev C, on Flickr

And got it glued in place. It was tricky getting it set just right and I had to apply weight in various spots overnight to hold it in place but I think everything is OK.

038 deck glued to hull 2 by Kev C, on Flickr
037 deck glued to hull 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

So far so good. There are gaps around the edge that I'll have to do something with....once I figure out what that will be.  :o

Here is a picture of what we will actually be able to see of the library I got lit up earlier. Not much detail visible, but that's how it will be for each little area.
039 view of SCL by Kev C, on Flickr

However, I'm hoping the big picture will be far more impressive!

Anyhoo, I have started laying out and gluing together the walls fro the next deck. What you see here are the walls for the first class restaurant and the second class smoking room. What I do is glue the corners of the walls together while they are sitting in the proper position so I make sure they are shaped correctly. Once the corners are dry then I can prime, light block and paint them....and do the windows.
040 next layer started by Kev C, on Flickr

Ok as I was test fitting the various walls in place for this level I made an observation. What you see here are the walls for a private promenade on each side of the ship.
041 private prom 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

Upon closer inspection I noticed that all the detail on these walls face the INSIDE ... where no one will ever see them! Yay Mincraft!
042 private prom 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

I thought briefly about trying to cobble things together to get them turned around ..... I don't know I may but I don't think so. With the size of the outside windows looking into it It'd very hard to see anything anyway. One has to think however...this is what, the third release of this kit??? How many times do we need to release it to iron out the bugs!  :o

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:45:49 am by karve »
Kevin

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 07:57:20 am »
This is a very impressive build, Kevin!

I'm still in awe of how clean your builds are! (At least the pics!  ;D)

The details on this ship and the care with which you display them is, as always, beawesome!

Hang in there and keep the updates coming!

Steve

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 07:48:00 am »
She is looking great! I have been thinking of picking one of these up. You might be the reason I get one!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2017, 03:14:30 pm »
I thought it was time for a quick update. I've been working away at Titanic slowly as time permits. However, most of what I've been doing hasn't been worthy of taking any pictures. There's been a lot of delicate work installing windows in the walls and it's just not that exciting.  :o

Anyway, I got the next set of walls glued in place and I thought I'd snap a few pictures as they dry.

Another thing I have done is I got the strip lighting installed on the inside portion of the first deck.
043 more inner walls by Kev C, on Flickr

For the little separate room I just installed one little SMD. It works well.
045 lighting by Kev C, on Flickr

Here's a picture of some of the small window frames I've been installing. Man they are delicate!
044 windows 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

Finally I lit up the model to have a look at this next level.
046 windows lit by Kev C, on Flickr

They do look pretty good.

Anyway, sorry for the lack of exciting updates. Once I get working on the next levels it should pick up. I have to do the top two levels as one assembly and then attach it to what I have done here.

Thanks for looking!
Kevin

Offline Matt OBrien

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2017, 10:55:02 pm »
Your build is looking GREAT, Kevin. You're a brave man to jump head-long into a lighted build. This is no easy kit to begin with (like many have pointed out..... Minicraft says it all) let alone trying to light block the thing.

As if you didn't need another website to check out, go over to http://titanic-model.com/ and waste a few days over there. You can see all kinds of info related to this very kit....along with other kits and projects as well.

I've been a member over there for a time and am one of the trustees for the site. One of the other trustees built a website documenting his 10+ year long build seen here: http://www.titanicmodel.net/

His kit is lit as well but done so long ago that LED tech has moved well beyond what it is today (LED strip was still in it's infancy). If there was ever a build that makes one question their skills, it would be this build. He makes me feel like some hack struggling with a Snap-Tite kit.

Due to a "health issue" that sidelined my painting and gluing hand, I haven't really posted anything over there for a while, but here's the link to my build. Quite a ways off from finished, but I'll get there.

http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=123&topic_id=5842&mesg_id=5842&page=3

I'll keep checking back to see your progress! Can't wait to see more. You're rekindling my desire to get back to building this again!

Matt

P.S. There's a solution to that deck light-blocking issue (the edges). See the 12th photo of my build log. Strip styrene is the way to go....and has the Rivet Counter seal of approval. It's an actual detail on the ship that's not well known and the strip is easier to work with and manipulate.
The older I get, the faster I was.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »
There's a solution to that deck light-blocking issue (the edges). See the 12th photo of my build log. Strip styrene is the way to go....and has the Rivet Counter seal of approval. It's an actual detail on the ship that's not well known and the strip is easier to work with and manipulate.

Wow thanks for the kind words and all the advice Matt!
  Those pieces around the edges will be the cat's meow...it'll be perfect! I will definitely check out those sites. Thanks again!

EDIT ... I had a look at your build Matt after posting this and simply put I was blown away! The level of detail is astounding ... It's absolutely fabulous work! Man you set the bar impossibly high! I can only hope I can do a cheap imitation of what you've done. Excellent!
  You've definitely given me some ideas that I hadn't thought of so far. I'll keep checking it out as I go as a reference if you don't mind.  :)

As for the other build you gave me the link to ....Art's build....well....that thing is just beyond belief. OMG it's just  ..... there are no words.....  :o
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:04:35 pm by karve »
Kevin

Enterprise © Bloc