Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus
« on: March 25, 2017, 10:45:16 pm »
 Since placing a preorder on Culttvman's website in December of 2015, at last this long awaited model is now realized.I first watched the 20th Century Fox production of 1966's Fantastic Voyage on cable TV in 1982.Since then I was fascinated with the film that was based on a story by Otto Klement and Jerome Bixby.For most that watched the film,it was a unique cinematic work that won an Academy Award for special effects and art direction.Quite an accolade for a scifi film about miniaturizing a crew in a submarine for a trip through the human body!

Moebius Models latest offering seems to be a well represented scale model of the iconic film.

At this time, the kit parts were examined for fit and quality.From first glance,the kit engineering is quite excellent.The fit of the top and bottom hull halves are good and the large front windows and dome are good and clear.The interior details are fine and fairly numerous.For it's own virtue,it would be a shame to not fully display the inside.It would be possible,with some changes,to make the top half of the hull removable.

Measuring at 16",the 1:32 scale submarine is a good size for figures.An upcoming figure set from Jimmy Flintstone would add to the appearance of the build.Lighting will be installed on this model.A build of the preliminary kit by Lou Dalmaso (owner of Aztec Dummy) revealed no apparent source of lighting for the inside.With some research pending viewing of the DVD, a compromise could be reached for making it work.

The included photos show a size comparison to a Polar Lights 1:1000 Reliant.Also, the picture reveals a well sculpted shape true to the studio prop.

This will be a purposely slow build.There are many aspects to be relished during such a build of the highly anticipated ship.More updates to follow soon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:55:55 pm by Mr Atoz »
For the fun of building art.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:07:14 pm »
Looking forward to this one! I agree it would be a shame to waste all the interior lab detail by sealing everything up as is. I like Lou's solution, but not sure I have the requisite skill or cochonnes to try it though. The Paragrafix set due out soon should add another level of detail to an already good kit.

I'm sure you will do your usual outstanding work on this long awaited iconic sci-fi kit.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:44:56 am »
Looking forward to this one! I agree it would be a shame to waste all the interior lab detail by sealing everything up as is. I like Lou's solution, but not sure I have the requisite skill or cochonnes to try it though. The Paragrafix set due out soon should add another level of detail to an already good kit.

I'm sure you will do your usual outstanding work on this long awaited iconic sci-fi kit.

Thank you Pakratt! Yes, this kit seems to be done right.Lou was quite daring in making a portion of the rear deck removable and did a good job.However,even with the better windows,there is a great deal of detail that may be hidden.Lou mentioned the 20th Century Fox curse of their scifi props and I personally didn't grasp that at first.After looking at this kit,now I do!  ;D

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:23:03 pm »
.Lou mentioned the 20th Century Fox curse of their scifi props and I personally didn't grasp that at first.After looking at this kit,now I do!  ;D

I knew exactly what Lou was referring to when he mentioned it. I have an older Polar Lights 12" Jupiter 2 that had a complete, though inaccurate, lower deck that if the kit was sealed up would never be seen. Not to mention that most of the main deck is not visible through the front viewport. Also have a larger scale release of the Spindrift from LOTG that has some nice interior cabin detail, mostly hidden when the kit is closed up. And the 4-window Seaview kit is a whole other dimension with all the photo etch for the interior, girders and such. Barely visible through the front windows.  But at least you're not looking in and seeing the inside of the aft tail assembly, right?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 08:02:24 pm »
I too have been waiting a long time on this to come out and finally received one from Cultmans last week. Definitely one of my fav movies from back in the day... ;D.
I'm eager to start mine as well, but I'm going to let the hype die down a bit, plus Paragrafix just announce the photo etch to augment some of the details.

I'm going to love seeing this build.  Good luck with it.

Larry
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:34:16 pm »
.Lou mentioned the 20th Century Fox curse of their scifi props and I personally didn't grasp that at first.After looking at this kit,now I do!  ;D

I knew exactly what Lou was referring to when he mentioned it. I have an older Polar Lights 12" Jupiter 2 that had a complete, though inaccurate, lower deck that if the kit was sealed up would never be seen. Not to mention that most of the main deck is not visible through the front viewport. Also have a larger scale release of the Spindrift from LOTG that has some nice interior cabin detail, mostly hidden when the kit is closed up. And the 4-window Seaview kit is a whole other dimension with all the photo etch for the interior, girders and such. Barely visible through the front windows.  But at least you're not looking in and seeing the inside of the aft tail assembly, right?

You gave out some excellent examples of models with hidden eye appeal. ;) The large (1:72 scale I believe) C-57D from Polar Lights also ranks with the Sea View to a degree in the same respect. ::) As for the Proteus,the very clear front windows seem to reveal a great deal of the front and some aft interior detail.If all goes according to plan,the goal is to be able to lift the entire top off and see everything. ;D

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »
I too have been waiting a long time on this to come out and finally received one from Cultmans last week. Definitely one of my fav movies from back in the day... ;D.
I'm eager to start mine as well, but I'm going to let the hype die down a bit, plus Paragrafix just announce the photo etch to augment some of the details.

I'm going to love seeing this build.  Good luck with it.

Larry

Thank you Larry for the encouragement!  :) The kit looks to be a lot of fun to build up,I think you may enjoy it too! The only aftermarket accessories I'm looking forward to are the lighting and the more accurate seated figures from Jimmy Flintstone.I've been pouring over the DVD of the movie to glean as much information as possible.The DVD extras includes a little bit on the old props. ;)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:01 pm »
This evening, we began with modifications to the hull.It was decided to make the entire top half of the hull removable and secured with neodymium magnets.To start, the aft thrust nozzles were sawed off of the bottom half and cemented to the top half. Next,eight positions were marked from fore to aft for placement of the magnets.3/8 x 1/16" and 1/4 x 1/16" sizes were ordered.When received,sheet styrene will be placed on the top and bottom halves in between the intake ports towards the thrust nozzles.The idea is to recess the 3/8" diameter magnets in each of the halves at the widest point and then the 1/4" at the narrowest.

After testing the fit between the two halves of the hull,it appears that the proposed placement of the magnets should hold the halves together tightly.The seam will be somewhat hidden since the top half is rolled over the bottom.

In the meantime,the rest of the parts will be washed to prepare for paint and glue.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 07:25:29 am »
This is looking great, so far, Adam! As always, I expect great things from your builds!

I love the plan to make the top removable using magnets! Inspired!

Though, how do you plan to light the top half?! Or do you plan to light the top half?!

Looking forward to seeing your excellent building skills at work!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 05:46:14 pm »
This is looking great, so far, Adam! As always, I expect great things from your builds!

I love the plan to make the top removable using magnets! Inspired!

Though, how do you plan to light the top half?! Or do you plan to light the top half?!

Looking forward to seeing your excellent building skills at work!

Steve

Thank you Steve!So far, it looks like different elements of the submarine will be lighted.I was watching the DVD one night and it seems that the interior lighting may need to be improvised.As for anything else there is some kind of radar display that's orange or red on the front dash of the forward part of the cabin.Also, the chart display may be lit.The hull halves can be easily connected with a small servo connector;the power will likely be from a nine volt battery inside the hull.For certain,the lighting kit includes strip LED's for the ring around the pilot's cockpit.That part will be lit.These are highly speculated options,of course!  ;)

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 03:28:31 am »
Looking forward to watching this build! It's always been one of my favourite movies and this kit is definitely on my to do list.  :)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 10:31:51 am »
Looking forward to watching this build! It's always been one of my favourite movies and this kit is definitely on my to do list.  :)

8)

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:50:28 am »
Just watched this movie last night! I want this model in a bad way! Looking forward to watching your progress

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 02:21:08 pm »
Just watched this movie last night! I want this model in a bad way! Looking forward to watching your progress

You're going to love this kit! :)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 09:14:22 pm »
Today,we started some of the interior detail and worked a bit on the hull.First ,the intake grills were test fitted and then installed on the left and right intake ports.The two hull halves still fit well after these parts were installed.

Next,the pilot's chair,chart holder,airlock,and seat locker were assembled with liquid and regular cement.So far, the pilot's chair is delicate but somewhat sturdy.The instrument ring will be attached until the parts are painted.

For good measure,the interior components were dry fitted to the hull interior to check for gaps.During assembly of the chart holder,some ideas came to mind about lighting the screen.It may just be a simple matter of light blocking and routing fine wires to the LED.

The lighting kit from VooDooFX and the neodymium magnets should be coming in the mail soon.Until then,minor assembly will continue with various areas inside the cabin.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:19:24 pm by Mr Atoz »

Enterprise © Bloc