Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Re: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 11:41:20 pm »
A change in plans were in order this afternoon.The neodymium magnets came in earlier than expected so, we started right away on the mounting system.After unpacking the magnets, a 3/8" and 1/4" were test fitted in the hull using the speculated mounting positions.Six instead of eight positions will be used to mount the magnets as flush as possible.The magnets themselves are quite powerful.At least a pound of pulling power for the smallest and two pounds for the largest! The website did warn that these magnets are fragile, so some caution is in order in handling them.

1mm sheet styrene was used to fabricate brackets to suspend the magnets. In the more shallow areas,the sheet styrene was just butted against the smaller magnets.To line up the opposing magnets,the hull halves were taped together.A pin vise was used to drill tiny pilot holes from the top of the hull to penetrating the bottom.This should insure that the magnets line up when placed over one another to join the halves together.The top half hull had all six magnets glued in place with medium CA glue.In day or two, the rest of the magnets should be mounted.A roto tool was used to make a counter sunken hole for the some of the magnets.

We won't know how well the placement of the magnets will work until all of them are properly secured.It's suspected that they will provide a solid clamping action.
For the fun of building art.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 08:02:59 pm »
I'm quite shocked to say that I had been thinking about the use of magnets to connect the top and bottom together before I read the first part of the postings where you spelled out your plans. Maybe I'm finally starting to think like the master builders on here? Nah, had to be a lucky guess. ;) Are you planning some sort of quick disconnect clips for the bubble dome light power feed so the hull top can be set completely aside when viewing the interior?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 11:17:43 pm »
I'm quite shocked to say that I had been thinking about the use of magnets to connect the top and bottom together before I read the first part of the postings where you spelled out your plans. Maybe I'm finally starting to think like the master builders on here? Nah, had to be a lucky guess. ;) Are you planning some sort of quick disconnect clips for the bubble dome light power feed so the hull top can be set completely aside when viewing the interior?

For convenience,the lighting in the top half will be connected with a servo harness or similar for easy disconnection.I just received the VooDoo FX  lighting kit from Culttvman today and it's quite basic.I may still need to buy some SMDs to light the cabin as desired.The single LEDs are quite large for the scale of the model.And yes,if one hangs around like minded modelers you start think like them too!  ;)  He!he!  ;D

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 11:43:08 pm »
At this time, all of the magnets are installed and ready for permanent use.The hull was test fitted and checked for gaps.The section for the thrust nozzles needed additional magnets to close up the remaining seams.

The hold of the mounting system is quite strong and solid.The hull was suspended from a single point and there was no tendency for the parts to release.To reassemble the hull,caution is needed so the halves don't slam together.

The next step is to work out a scheme for the lighting.Further research is needed from the movie for the best options.

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 03:06:24 am »
Definitely want to watch this build.

I always loved the look of Proteus (and Rachel Welch for that matter).

;)
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 06:13:49 am »
Looks great!
  The magnets work really well. Like you said, the overhang around the edges will negate a lot of the light leaking where the halves meet.
  Nice work so far.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 08:13:07 am »
Thanks guys!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 12:29:08 am »
More modifications to the hull and sub components were worked on this afternoon.To start,the rudder was sawed in half at the same level as the aft dive plane.The upper and lower halves of the rudder were then adhered with thin cement to the respective hull parts.The split is almost hidden when the hull is joined.

The forward dive planes were examined to see how and when to attach them to the sub.If carefully done,these can be made to pivot.With the hull modified as is, they will be glued in place with reinforcements.

Thus far,there has been some minor flash noted on various parts as well as some slight seams.These were easily addressed.As we go along,much of the large assembled parts may need to be completely painted and finished before completing the model.

Offline Zuckuss

• Lieutenant
    • Rossi Replicas
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 09:27:09 am »
This build looks great so far.  I'm definitely building this soon, but before I start buying stuff I wanted to ask - it looks like Randy Cooper has an resin parts upgrade set for this kit that includes some new hatches, window gaskets, and engine nozzles.  This resin set is priced high ($70 or so).  Do you think the parts included with the kit are totally inaccurate where it's worth buying the upgrades?  I haven't seen this kit in person yet so I'm not sure, but Moebius makes good stuff so I can't imagine these parts being bad enough to warrant these upgrades.

http://randycoopermodelsdesign.squarespace.com/new-page/

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 11:10:10 am »
This build looks great so far.  I'm definitely building this soon, but before I start buying stuff I wanted to ask - it looks like Randy Cooper has an resin parts upgrade set for this kit that includes some new hatches, window gaskets, and engine nozzles.  This resin set is priced high ($70 or so).  Do you think the parts included with the kit are totally inaccurate where it's worth buying the upgrades?  I haven't seen this kit in person yet so I'm not sure, but Moebius makes good stuff so I can't imagine these parts being bad enough to warrant these upgrades.

http://randycoopermodelsdesign.squarespace.com/new-page/

Thank you Zuckuss! I've not heard of the Randy Cooper resin parts so it would probably be worth it to at least look at it just to compare details.I've been watching the DVD for research and so far the model as is looks pretty close.Lou Dalmaso's build showed him applying the gaskets to the windows and looks great.I'm not sure if it'll be on this build.The only upgrades going on this model is the VooDoo FX lighting kit and the Jimmy Flintsone figures.Personally,I'll be happy with using the kit parts to the fullest extent!  ;D

Offline Zuckuss

• Lieutenant
    • Rossi Replicas
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 11:23:03 am »
Awesome I'm looking forward to following your build!  So the kit doesn't include any window gaskets at all or any figures?

I'm going to use something like this and build the whole "miniature-zation" platform which should be cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/moebius-Fantastic-Voyage-PROTEUS-Base-translight-print-bas-model-star-trek-prop-/262911610532?hash=item3d36c0cea4:g:EDgAAOSwoBtW2kuZ

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 12:02:24 pm »
Awesome I'm looking forward to following your build!  So the kit doesn't include any window gaskets at all or any figures?

I'm going to use something like this and build the whole "miniature-zation" platform which should be cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/moebius-Fantastic-Voyage-PROTEUS-Base-translight-print-bas-model-star-trek-prop-/262911610532?hash=item3d36c0cea4:g:EDgAAOSwoBtW2kuZ

The kit seems to leave it up to the builder to use a myriad of add- ons. Although,including at least seated figures would've been a good standard feature.  ;) By the way,that base looks to be a great display!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:56:51 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Zuckuss

• Lieutenant
    • Rossi Replicas
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 06:40:40 pm »
Yeah I think this base would look good lit up.  It's very expensive for what it actually is, so I might try making one of my own.  I'm really surprised that Moebius didn't include any figures at all with that Proteus kit since they provided two really nice ones with the Flying Sub kit. 

Offline ghostrider

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:55 am »
Great job!

I pulled the trigger on purchasing the Proteus and will be in my hands tomorrow.

I like what your doing with splitting the top and bottom. Mind if I borrow that? When I first saw this model i wondered how the lab was going to be visible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:12:04 pm by ghostrider »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 04:25:50 pm »
Great job!

I pulled the trigger on purchasing the Proteus and will be in my hands tomorrow.

I like what your doing with splitting the top and bottom. Mind if I borrow that? When I first saw this model i wondered how the lab was going to be visible.

Thanks! To quote a favorite RC how to book title from the eighties,"There are no Secrets!" (written by Harry Higley).I think you may like how the fastening system works.It's a bit of labor but it holds well. ;) Recently,I placed all of the parts where they belonged and the magnets still hold tight!

Enterprise © Bloc