Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus  (Read 3293 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 11:17:22 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, but are the neodymium magnets the same as rare earth magnets?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 08:16:27 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but are the neodymium magnets the same as rare earth magnets?

Yes! They are one in the same. :) They are part of a family of these very strong dynamos.Here is a really neat article that explains these little wonders well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_magnet  . I used to buy rare earth magnets from Radio Shack that came two to three in a pack.They were only 3/16" x 1/64" and were at least $4.00 a pack! You can now get them on line for around 7 -12 dollars at dozens a pack.
For the fun of building art.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:12 pm »
Thanks! I do have a couple of sizes I used on my C-57 Space Cruiser build. But they are definitely fragile. Snapped a couple in half just prying apart.
Dan

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 06:09:35 pm »
Over the course of a few days we started to prepare the lighting for various parts of the ship.There are only two small LEDs,a round and a round flattened type included in the lighting kit(besides the LED strip).The oscilloscope was temporarily fitted with the small round LED.The wires were able to be routed under the ledge and underneath the observation deck. A square LED(from an extra supply) was also fitted underneath the chart display.

There is a solid light fixture part for the aft bulkhead that may be recast as a clear part.This may be used to light the forward crew compartment.The walls were dry fitted to trace out the joints for masking off to glue them down.A few places on the walls and the inside of the top half of the hull have injection mold marks that'll need to be filled.

The lighted ring was prepped for the tiny LED strip to be placed.A small hole was drilled out for the strip to pass through the solid lower half of the ring.The rest of the strip and wires can easily be routed on the ceiling and down a wall.Much of the wiring for the lighting system seems to be able to be routed underneath the floors to the internal battery and switch.The lighted ring was diffused by sanding the surface of the clear dome's ring section with 350 to 400 grit sandpaper.

Before any assembly will take place ,much of the hull and parts will need to light blocked.A lighting test of the upper and lower ring revealed it was far too translucent to simply finish with the base colors.The oscilloscope and chart screen are translucent enough to allow lighting the display areas.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:13:30 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:51 pm »
Pictures illustrating the hazing of the light ring and test.

Offline gene1138

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 11:56:59 am »
Oh very nice.  Good job with the light ring.  Looks perfect with in scale lighting. 

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
Oh very nice.  Good job with the light ring.  Looks perfect with in scale lighting.

Thank you!  :)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:19 am »
At last, we received our five person crew from Jimmy Flinstone. The figures seem to be a pretty good sculpt of the actors from the movie.The pilot is cast in three parts (body and two arms).The Cora figure's body and head are also cast as separate pieces.The rest of the figures are cast in one piece.Save for some clean up,the figures look good with the Proteus.

To start,the pilot had to be modified to fit the seat.The legs were too long and bent the frame with the rudder peddles down.The feet were removed and the ends of both the feet and legs were sanded to make a proper fit.After gluing the feet back with CA glue, the arms were adjusted and glued in the same manner.The head rest and right control stick were removed from the seat as these were molded into the pilot figure.

The pilot and seat were test fitted with the dome assembly in place.The control panel and ring do not fit well with it mounted to the seat frame post.When the micro LED strip was in place for test fitting ,it interfered with the ring also.At this time, it seems that the ring can be placed in the top portion of the dome assembly before gluing down the dome.

The two larger seats were assembled. The Dr. Michaels and Dr. Duval figure were test fitted to the seats with good results.The Cora and Grant figures were also tested satisfactorily with the small seats.

The bottom portion of the dome assembly was glued to the hull.The two hatches will likely be press fitted to solve a problem prying apart the hull halves.The neodymium magnets  provide a strong bond between the hull halves and is difficult to pull apart without something to hold onto.With the hatches off,a finger can be inserted into each opening and the halves can be separated.

Some more finessing will be needed on the work progress at hand before proceeding.Soon after, the complex job of painting the interior can begin.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 11:41:05 am »
These images show the fit of the after market figure set.After looking at some screen grabs of the movie,the control panel ring should do fine as illustrated in the later photos.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 08:41:14 am »
Adam, this is looking AWESOME!

I am always impressed with how clean and neat your builds are! Your work space looks immaculate! (Can't say the same of mine. :-/)

Seem like you had to do a lot of modifications to the aftermarket figures, but, from what I could see, your work was surgical and excellent!

Can't wait to see this one lit up!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 11:10:10 am »
Adam, this is looking AWESOME!

I am always impressed with how clean and neat your builds are! Your work space looks immaculate! (Can't say the same of mine. :-/)

Seem like you had to do a lot of modifications to the aftermarket figures, but, from what I could see, your work was surgical and excellent!

Can't wait to see this one lit up!

Steve

Thank you Steve! I love taking my time on projects like these. :) As for the work space, it can become a little messy briefly!  ;)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 05:27:49 pm »
Looking good. I haven't even unwrapped the plastic on mine yet. A question about the VoodooFX lighting. Is the light strip comprised of 0805 SMDs? I picked up a roll from Jerry at HDA a while back to use in my 1/350 TOS Enterprise. They're a bugger to solder the wire leads to, but just eyeballing your kit it seems to be the right size.
Dan

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:04 pm »
This is really great looking and I love watching the progress.  Makes the WIP section my favorite!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 08:42:10 pm »
Looking good. I haven't even unwrapped the plastic on mine yet. A question about the VoodooFX lighting. Is the light strip comprised of 0805 SMDs? I picked up a roll from Jerry at HDA a while back to use in my 1/350 TOS Enterprise. They're a bugger to solder the wire leads to, but just eyeballing your kit it seems to be the right size.

Thank you packratt! The LED strip that came in the kit is a 2.5mm ultra thin LED strip with 6mm spacing.The SMD's are the 1206 LED components.I think you can get these from DigiKey or Alibaba.The ultra thin LED strip fits just right in the inner part of the dome ring.  ;)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 08:42:36 pm »
This is really great looking and I love watching the progress.  Makes the WIP section my favorite!

Thank you!

Enterprise © Bloc