Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Re: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2017, 11:49:52 pm »
This week we were able to find a break in the weather and apply the first layers of clear coat to the hull.The coats were sprayed as thin as possible and allowed to level out first before going to the next layer.About four coats in all were applied.

After about 24 hours,the gloss coat was wet sanded to level the varnish.The temperature and humidity were still problematic but not too unmanageable. In places where the varnish tried to wrinkle,the affected areas were wet sanded with 600,1000 and 2000 grit.3000 grit emery cloth removed the rest of the scratches.Some buffing with a paper towel revealed any problem areas missed.

As in other similar projects,touch up was mostly needed on the corners.This is usually an expected routine since there are so many dissimilar and complex changes in geometry.The hull seems not unlike a strange porcelain sculpture.

It looks like the decals could be next.There will be many more layers of clear coat and wet sanding to do.With a good foundation of varnish,the final coats may need less finishing.
For the fun of building art.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2017, 09:19:16 pm »
Today,we applied the last of the decals for this model.This particular scifi submarine is sparse on detail thus few decals for the outside hull.We started with the decals with lettering first.Next ,the black rectangles were laid down.These are supposed to be non slip pads just as represented in the film.If examined closely, they have a slight texture printed on them.

At this point,the last thing to do is to start another process of clear coats and wet sanding.The rest of the project is final assembly and fine tuning.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2017, 01:26:18 pm »
Mr. Atoz,

You just make me shake my head and wish, hope, that, someday, I will nearly be as good at you at building!

Nice job on the decals!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2017, 10:36:23 pm »
Mr. Atoz,

You just make me shake my head and wish, hope, that, someday, I will nearly be as good at you at building!

Nice job on the decals!

Steve

Thank you Steve,you are too kind! ;) Not many decals but it adds to the look of this model nicely.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2017, 07:43:05 am »
Any progress, Boss?

Enquiring minds want to know! :)

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2017, 09:12:20 am »
Any progress, Boss?

Enquiring minds want to know! :)

Steve

Not too much going on for now Steve. :) Summer here is not real friendly this year for painting.A lot of the time too hot,raining,too humid or all of the above! :o At any rate,I guess it'll be that rare break where we'll have that cool snap and then it's varnishing time again!  ;D

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2017, 10:53:25 am »
Adam, Understood.

;D

We'll be here when you're ready!

Steve

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:58 pm »
Adam, Understood.

;D

We'll be here when you're ready!

Steve

LOL  ;D Too funny Steve! As always,a pleasure sharing with you guys.

Enterprise © Bloc