Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Re: Fantastic Voyage 1:32 Proteus
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2017, 11:49:52 pm »
This week we were able to find a break in the weather and apply the first layers of clear coat to the hull.The coats were sprayed as thin as possible and allowed to level out first before going to the next layer.About four coats in all were applied.

After about 24 hours,the gloss coat was wet sanded to level the varnish.The temperature and humidity were still problematic but not too unmanageable. In places where the varnish tried to wrinkle,the affected areas were wet sanded with 600,1000 and 2000 grit.3000 grit emery cloth removed the rest of the scratches.Some buffing with a paper towel revealed any problem areas missed.

As in other similar projects,touch up was mostly needed on the corners.This is usually an expected routine since there are so many dissimilar and complex changes in geometry.The hull seems not unlike a strange porcelain sculpture.

It looks like the decals could be next.There will be many more layers of clear coat and wet sanding to do.With a good foundation of varnish,the final coats may need less finishing.
For the fun of building art.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2017, 09:19:16 pm »
Today,we applied the last of the decals for this model.This particular scifi submarine is sparse on detail thus few decals for the outside hull.We started with the decals with lettering first.Next ,the black rectangles were laid down.These are supposed to be non slip pads just as represented in the film.If examined closely, they have a slight texture printed on them.

At this point,the last thing to do is to start another process of clear coats and wet sanding.The rest of the project is final assembly and fine tuning.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2017, 01:26:18 pm »
Mr. Atoz,

You just make me shake my head and wish, hope, that, someday, I will nearly be as good at you at building!

Nice job on the decals!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2017, 10:36:23 pm »
Mr. Atoz,

You just make me shake my head and wish, hope, that, someday, I will nearly be as good at you at building!

Nice job on the decals!

Steve

Thank you Steve,you are too kind! ;) Not many decals but it adds to the look of this model nicely.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2017, 07:43:05 am »
Any progress, Boss?

Enquiring minds want to know! :)

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2017, 09:12:20 am »
Any progress, Boss?

Enquiring minds want to know! :)

Steve

Not too much going on for now Steve. :) Summer here is not real friendly this year for painting.A lot of the time too hot,raining,too humid or all of the above! :o At any rate,I guess it'll be that rare break where we'll have that cool snap and then it's varnishing time again!  ;D

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2017, 10:53:25 am »
Adam, Understood.

;D

We'll be here when you're ready!

Steve

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:58 pm »
Adam, Understood.

;D

We'll be here when you're ready!

Steve

LOL  ;D Too funny Steve! As always,a pleasure sharing with you guys.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2017, 12:38:14 pm »
The way your first to pics are photographed, I thought it was a CG rendering. Very nice paintjob and the decals look awesome. Looking forward to more updates. Especially when it cools down outside. Nice work.
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
http://www.NemVia.net

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2017, 06:35:33 pm »
The way your first to pics are photographed, I thought it was a CG rendering. Very nice paintjob and the decals look awesome. Looking forward to more updates. Especially when it cools down outside. Nice work.
Mark

Thank you Mark! It's looking like fall this year if summer weather persists.That cooler weather is the best for painting!  ;)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2017, 11:40:59 pm »
At last! We started receiving early fall like weather in the form of a large cool front here in my state.This is ideal weather for painting and varnishing,a fortuitous opportunity. The two hull halves were clear coated with several layers of gloss coat to cover the small amount of decals.Also, there were a few areas that are quite lower than the rest of the clear coat layers.These multiple layers of new gloss coats shall level them out.For now, the varnish leveled pretty well with minimal flaws.However,there'll be the usual multi step wet sanding to even out the surface to a more in scale appearance.As it appears,the clear coats resemble a heavily varnished piece of furniture or a show car before wet sanding.

There will be some touch up(minimally) before concluding the finish of the model's surface.Small detail painting will be all that remains of painting chores.

Electrical,clear glass window installation and minor assembly should follow soon after painting is done.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2017, 09:36:25 pm »
Today we were able to get a lot of tasks completed.The final clear coats were wet step sanded with 2000 and 3000 grit metal oxide paper and cloth.The finish as a whole is complete.Minor touch up remains but the desired look is achieved.The finish is a more favored high satin instead of the gloss spar look it once was.

The next tedious task was installing the large observation windows.It was decided to only use liquid and regular cement.This achieved a better and tighter bond more quickly and neatly.On the outside edges on the bottom,Weldbond glue was used to reinforce the seam.When cured, the edges will be painted the matching light gray.

Small parts,(compass,camera, hatch valve and snorkel)were glued in place.The front intake grills were painted dark gray on the lower half of the hull.

So far, the clear finish and base color consumed the most time and effort.It was well worth the investment.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:52:17 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2017, 01:39:28 pm »
A small update today.We saw it through to do some small tasks on the the two hull halves.The intake grill was painted a dark gray and varnished with Micro Scale Industries satin.The intake was cleaned up with files and the false bulk head glued in place with cement.

The large windows were cleaned up with cotton balls and eye glass cleaner to get most of the residue off.The kit glass had many small scratches on it but not bad enough to fix them.The windows are beautifully clear and level to illustrate the effect of glass.

Next the 0805 warm white LED tape was glued to the upper ring with medium CA.The main lead was glued to the inside of the cabin and left without the plug for now.The dome will be glued on later after the CA glue has gassed out the fumes fully.This would have clouded up the clear plastic.

Lastly,the forward dive planes were permanently glued to the lower hull with cement.We were going to make them movable but the attachment points were too fragile. The snorkel and clear ring were glued and press fitted into place.

Incrementally it's getting close to finished.The slow and steady pace is working well with this particular model.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:08:11 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2017, 07:00:21 am »
Adam, this is still looking great!

I'm glad to see you back at it! I hope you weren't too badly effected by the storms.

Sometimes the slow and steady finishing rate is the best; especially with the highly detailed builds!

Stay strong and keep going!

Steve

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:43:23 am by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:59 am »
Adam, this is still looking great!

I'm glad to see you back at it! I hope you were too badly effected by the storms.

Sometimes the slow and steady finishing rate is the best; especially with the highly detailed builds!

Stay strong and keep going!

Steve

Thank you Steve!No severe flooding or damage to the house or property.There was plenty of standing water otherwise.Some of us were fortunate.It's good to finish this project before too long.I'm looking forward to sharing the finale with you guys!  :)

Enterprise © Bloc