Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K't'inga 1/1000 scale by Ugh Models  (Read 1877 times)

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: K't'inga 1/1000 scale by Ugh Models
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 09:16:18 am »
Wow, Steve! This is looking awesome! You really are going all out for screen accuracy!

Outstanding!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 12:04:15 pm »
Wow, Steve! This is looking awesome! You really are going all out for screen accuracy!

Outstanding!

Steve

Thanks Sarge! Last night I bent some music wire and added conduits. They wrap around nicely. I used music wire because it's less likely to bend out of shape than brass would after gluing in place.
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 02:27:01 pm »

Outstanding!

Steve

Thanks Sarge! Last night I bent some music wire and added conduits. They wrap around nicely. I used music wire because it's less likely to bend out of shape than brass would after gluing in place.

Okay. I told you I always learn stuff from your builds; I think I know what music wire is - related to piano wire right?! Besides the obvious difference in name, what is the difference between music wire and say orthodontic wire?! Price?

Thanks for the insight!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 05:12:11 pm »
Okay. I told you I always learn stuff from your builds; I think I know what music wire is - related to piano wire right?! Besides the obvious difference in name, what is the difference between music wire and say orthodontic wire?! Price?

Thanks for the insight!

Steve

Orthodontic wire is, from what I gather on Google, made of stainless steel, titanium nickel, molybdinum, copper, and traces of other rare metals. Music wire (aka piano wire) is made of high tensile strength carbon steel. You find it at hobby stores where it is often used in RC airplanes to operate control surfaces and engine throttles. Very strong and stiff so takes some effort to bend it. I use the finest gauge music wire my LHS carries for these smaller scales. Either one would probably do the job although I am guessing that orthodontic wire is probably more expensive being it is intented for use in the dental field.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:16:01 pm by trekriffic »
Steve

Offline jazzydog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 05:31:45 pm »
Awesome build!

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 07:37:55 am »
Orthodontic wire is, from what I gather on Google, made of stainless steel, titanium nickel, molybdinum, copper, and traces of other rare metals. Music wire (aka piano wire) is made of high tensile strength carbon steel. You find it at hobby stores where it is often used in RC airplanes to operate control surfaces and engine throttles. Very strong and stiff so takes some effort to bend it. I use the finest gauge music wire my LHS carries for these smaller scales. Either one would probably do the job although I am guessing that orthodontic wire is probably more expensive being it is intented for use in the dental field.

Yep, I'm thinking the stainless steel alloy of the ortho wire would make it more resistant to rust considering it's composition. Plus the price is certainly a factor in going with the carbon steel.

Still, it is interesting that materials one wouldn't normally associate with scale modeling can be used to make scale models. I am having to broaden my perception of just what can and cannot be used in builds!

Like I said, I enjoy your builds and learn alot from them; this one is no exception!

Can't wait to see this one finished!

LLAP!

Steve

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 10:57:48 am »
Still, it is interesting that materials one wouldn't normally associate with scale modeling can be used to make scale models. I am having to broaden my perception of just what can and cannot be used in builds!

Steve

Yes indeed. I never used to think "outside-the-kit-box" so much when I was a lad. I just built models using the parts provided. It wasn't until I got on the web and started seeing what other modellers were doing with (non-standard?) materials that my eyes were opened. Now I can't go to the Dollar Store or a garage sale without seeing possibilities for scratch bashing fodder. I think one of my sweetest finds was an empty pack of Glide Dental Floss.
Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:27 pm »
"DJ, spin that sh!t"

I love how the greeblies just come together to give you a great effect.  This is a great build!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »
"DJ, spin that sh!t"

I love how the greeblies just come together to give you a great effect.  This is a great build!

Greeblies are like leprechauns. Anything can happen!  8)

So I started in on the aft inboard nacelle details using this photo of the studio model for reference:

Inboard Studio Model Nacelle Detail by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here you can see how I bent the music wire at right angles using needle nose pliers to make the conduits for the inboard face of each nacelle:

Music Wire Conduits by trekriffic, on Flickr

This is the port inboard engine detail showing the mods made with styrene channel and photo etch brass screen. A single section of music wire was glued on with Gorilla Glue CA after the main mods were complete:

Nacelle Conduit Detail by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here's the starboard side:

And the aft outboard face of each nacelle got two sections of music wire:

Now I'll move forward and start working on greeblies for the front of the secondary hull. This photo will show you what I'm about although the port side is missing some of the bits seen on the starboard side in this photo:

Ktinga Studio Model Detail 001 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Qa'pla!
Steve

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
Impressive.

Offline shrapnel2389

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 09:59:24 pm »
Have to say that the detail you are cramming into something that size is impressive.  Hope to get to that level someday myself.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:00 am »
I'd swear that studio model has a couple of hacked off R2 units on it.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 09:04:05 am »
I'd swear that studio model has a couple of hacked off R2 units on it.

I do know that the revisions made for Star Trek VI, the model gained a couple of hip jet inlets from a Macross Valkyrie kit flanking the rear torpedo/stand mount.

Tangentially related: The original Excelsior model used the top hatches from a TIE Fighter model kit on the front top of the nacelles, just behind the cowling.

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 07:30:32 pm »
OK. So I decided I wasn't quite done yet with the nacelles.

The kit molded inboard aft details... uhhhh.... not quite up to snuff, at least when compared to the K't'inga seen in STTMP:

Kit Details by trekriffic, on Flickr

So I removed all the kit detailing save for the pair of conduits up top:

Kit Details Removed by trekriffic, on Flickr

And thru the miracle of greeblies, styrene rod, and music wire I rebuilt the details in their true Klingon image:

Accurizing with Bits and Bites by trekriffic, on Flickr

Love Those Klingon Conduits by trekriffic, on Flickr

I find listening to the Godsmack Channel on Pandora gets me into the right Klingon modelling mood:

Lovin the K't'inga by trekriffic, on Flickr
Steve

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 11:35:21 am »
Loving the detail! This is great. Keep'm coming.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Enterprise © Bloc