Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 50th Anniversary TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery  (Read 1127 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
50th Anniversary TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery
« on: April 11, 2017, 02:10:15 pm »
Not really sure where to put this, but, I was thinking it would be cool to see everyone's take on a fan favorite ship since it is the 50th Anniversary year of Star Trek:TOS. So here goes!

1. If you have built a 1/650 scale TOS Enterprise post one shot (your favorite) here on this thread.
2. Revell's 1/500 is acceptable
3. This is just to see the various interpretations of the ship.
4. Please keep the scale. If this kicks off, maybe we can start a thread of all the 1/350 TOS E's and the 1/1000 TOS E's as well.
5. Tell us a little bit about the build and why you wanted to build "this" one.

Okay, I’ll start.

Okay, so there is a story to tell about THIS particular model of the Enterprise that I am building. My daughter knows I am a Star Trek nut so she bought me this model so I could build it. What she didn't know, maybe, is that I have been looking for this model for 30 years! Every time I would go into Hobby stores, I would look for this model to no avail. Searching online yielded over-priced knockoffs. This one she found for $8! When she sent it home with my son and his wife after their visit, I was overjoyed and nervous at the same time. I went on a model building studying spree because I wanted to do this right and because of this awesome gift from my daughter!

I tried to make it as accurate as I could with no Aftermarket parts! It's my first and best TOS E build to date!

I can’t wait to see what you guys, Master builders that you are, have done with this kit!

LLAP!

Steve
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:13:22 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
Re: 50th Anniversary TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:43:58 pm »
This was the first kit I did after a 20 year break from modeling. Life got in the way.
The kit decals were so old and yellowed I made my own. Skills were a bit rusty.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Ghostdog0002

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:56:00 pm »
My 50 anniversary 1/650 Enterprise. First model I had built in 20 years. Had some problems with the saucer section in but I still like it cuz it's mine.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:42 am »
Thanks, Guys, for posting!

Tankton, This looks very good - especially after so long a break in modeling! I am not sure from the photo but is the base color white or is that just the flash photography? The green Homing Beacon and Navigational Array on the Aft of the secondary hull is a nice touch!

Ghostdog0002, nice build! I like the backdrop, too! The saucer looks fine as far as I can tell. I thought the blue color of the First Stage Flux Constrictors behind the Bussard Collectors was a different interpretation! Nice touch!

Thanks for sharing!

LLAP!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:38:08 am »
Thanks Steve. I painted it White. Krylon rattle can. Only paint I had.
Still hadn't built up my supplies at that time.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline aobadger

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 05:58:32 am »
This is my build up of the Revell TOS Enterprise with the Botany Bay made by Eaglemoss as part of their Starships Collection. I previously posted this in in the model gallery here.

I built this for my Father-in-Law, he's a massive TOS fan and one day he showed me the remenants of his AMT original release Enterprise, that was very rough and had been in pieces in a box for 20 years.
He'd been impressed with pictures I showed him of other models I built. So I decided to build him a new one with lighting.
It took a lot longer to build than I first thought and there were a few electrical issues at first, but it got there!
The look on his face when he saw it for the first time made it all worhwhile!

6 by aobadger, on Flickr

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 07:13:25 am »
That is a really nice job, aobadger!

Sounds like your FNL was suitably impressed! Well done!

Love the display!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Steve

Offline aobadger

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 05:21:19 pm »
Thank you!

The Bussard scoops are actually red with flashing leds in blue and green, unfortunately the camera blew them out to be white, the navigation lights also flash.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 09:45:07 am »
This was actually the 2nd model I ever built.  The first was the Polar Lights 1/1000 Refit.  It was a challenge to put it together, and nowadays it has a special place in my office where people can walk by and really know that I'm a geek. 

Here's when I completed her:
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 12:19:41 pm »
Matt, thanks for sharing! She looks great!

You went for a higher contrast on the Nacelles than I did. What did you paint the Deflector Dish and Array with? Metallic copper? Looks very nice!

Thanks again!

Steve

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:58 pm »
I built this one some time ago. 

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 07:36:28 pm »
Matt, thanks for sharing! She looks great!

You went for a higher contrast on the Nacelles than I did. What did you paint the Deflector Dish and Array with? Metallic copper? Looks very nice!

Thanks again!

Steve

Yeah, I probably went a little too contrasty.  It was when I wasn't sure how painting worked/scale/etc, so it's not perfect.  It looks fairly passable, though

Yeah, I painted it with some Testors enamel copper.  Today, I would have used Tamiya Copper, but you know... experience and all that.  It still looks pretty good, though!

Thanks for the kind words. :)
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:27:43 pm »

Yeah, I probably went a little too contrasty.  It was when I wasn't sure how painting worked/scale/etc, so it's not perfect.  It looks fairly passable, though

Yeah, I painted it with some Testors enamel copper.  Today, I would have used Tamiya Copper, but you know... experience and all that.  It still looks pretty good, though!

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Matt, it wasn't a criticism of your work - which is of jaw-dropping quality and craftsmanship - it was merely an observation. I didn't mean to offend. Your ship is a great example of how the model should be put together!

Starseigeplayer - Thanks for sharing your build, too!

I noticed you added some extra lights on the Primary hull (saucer) and above the Shuttlebay. Looks cool! Any particular reason for them? You also added some phaser banks to the dorsal of the saucer. Nice!

The lights on the side of the ship - did you paint them on yourself or did you use decals of some kind?

The standout point is the display stand! I don't think I've ever seen it displayed like that. Very unique and well done!

Thanks for sharing your awesome build, starsiegeplayer!

LLAP!

Steve

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 10:19:40 am »
Starseigeplayer - Thanks for sharing your build, too!

I noticed you added some extra lights on the Primary hull (saucer) and above the Shuttlebay. Looks cool! Any particular reason for them? You also added some phaser banks to the dorsal of the saucer. Nice!

The lights on the side of the ship - did you paint them on yourself or did you use decals of some kind?

The standout point is the display stand! I don't think I've ever seen it displayed like that. Very unique and well done!

Thank you Steve,
When I was working on this, I wanted to try to improve the level of detail on the kit (which isn't very good).  I didn't have many reference photos at that time, so I did the best I could.  The red and green lamps on the sides of the saucer do match the filming model.  The formation lights on the sides of the impulse engines were in a reference drawing (and match formation lights on the refit) but apparently don't match the filming model.  The formation lamp on the front top of the saucer should have been a lit flat circle but I couldn't tell at that time.  The light above the shuttle bay doors does match the filming model more or less: the newer kits come with a nice clear dome for it now. 

All the windows were masked and painted... took a while.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:38:10 am by starsiegeplayer »

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:41 am »
Hi everyone,

Here's my Revell 1/600 TOS Enterprise. Shame it has the panel lines, but i've tried to make them less stark with the weathering.

I really enjoyed the build, and have actually got a second in my stash that I will probably remove the panel lines on (one day). it might be built as the Potemkin, as it includes those decals in the kit.

loving all the other builds on here!

Pete

Enterprise © Bloc