Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 50th Anniversary TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery  (Read 1126 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: 50th Anniversary TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 07:41:12 am »
Hey Pete! Thanks for sharing!

In short, this looks fabulous!

TBH, when I first saw the Revell TOS E, I was all like "That not the right model! It looks nothing like the AMT!" :D

But the more I see it the more I like it! You have done a great job of masking the gridlines with weathering. The Revell seems to lend itself to grid and panel lines anyway, but this is very well done.

Are the nacelles lit as well? Tell me you didn't put motors in there, too?!

Again, this looks awesome!

Thanks again for sharing!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »
Thanks, Steve!

And I wish I could tell you I put motors in there, but this was only my second lit build - so I was still learning at this point (Still am!). I did light the bussards, but regrettably in red rather than orange or with any chase sequence lights. I have set them to flash quite rapidly, which due to the grooves in the inner cap, give the appearance of spinners, but I'll do a proper job of it on my second build.

I totally get what you mean about the revell kit, and the grid lines. In some ways I like it, in others I'd have preferred a smooth saucer. Also, the windows seem a little large in comparison to other models, but overall I'm happy with how she turned out!

Thanks again :)

Offline modelerdave

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 02:02:23 pm »
So I've gotten back into model building for the first time in about 35 years. First model was a TIE Interceptor where I managed to get the engines lit with a red LED and some fiber optic cable. I am working my way up to a larger Star Trek model and have a question about the windows--are they simply holes in the hull and lit from a general set of lights on the interior, or is there some kind of film or covering over the openings? I can see for smaller windows that holes might work fine, but the larger windows or lights (like the four rectangular lights on the upper part of the saucer section) would need some kind of covering.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »
Dave, that is an excellent set of questions!

The answer is - what do you want to do about the windows?

I have yet to build a lighted 650 TOS Enterprise (It's on my bucket list!) but I have a few other lighted builds.

A few clarifications. One of the things you might want to avoid is "hot-spots". This is the term modelers use to describe when they see the naked bulb of an LED through a window or opening in the model. (think of looking directly into a flashlight!) When doing internal lighting, this is a no-no as it tends to destroy the illusion of the ship being "real".

One method I use to reduce hot-spots is to place a piece of thin styrene (0.010") on the inside of the windows. This helps to defuse and scatter the light and preserves the illusion. On the exterior of the window, I use Microscale Micro Krystal Clear. This helps create a smooth surface on the hull.

Krystal Klear can be used without the thin styrene behind if you have an interior detail you want to show. Usually, the larger scale models (1/350) have models within models, like the Arboretum or shuttlebays or bridge detail and the klear helps to show off the detail.

Also, the 350 TOS E comes with your choice of window inserts (black, white or clear) but those options are not available at the 650 scale.

The saucer, in just thinking about it, you will need to get creative and make a window, a thin piece of styrene to sit flush with the hull and then light it with the rest of the sauce from within.

I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Also, if you have more specific questions about building in general, the forum has a Modelers Question board where you can post it and have the real gurus of the site chime in. Here is a link.

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?board=22.0

Another tip is to search the Question board for other entries. I have been on this one A LOT and have gotten some excellent tips there!

Thanks and welcome to the board!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline modelerdave

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:08 am »
Dave, that is an excellent set of questions!

The answer is - what do you want to do about the windows?

I have yet to build a lighted 650 TOS Enterprise (It's on my bucket list!) but I have a few other lighted builds.

A few clarifications. One of the things you might want to avoid is "hot-spots". This is the term modelers use to describe when they see the naked bulb of an LED through a window or opening in the model. (think of looking directly into a flashlight!) When doing internal lighting, this is a no-no as it tends to destroy the illusion of the ship being "real".

One method I use to reduce hot-spots is to place a piece of thin styrene (0.010") on the inside of the windows. This helps to defuse and scatter the light and preserves the illusion. On the exterior of the window, I use Microscale Micro Krystal Clear. This helps create a smooth surface on the hull.

Krystal Klear can be used without the thin styrene behind if you have an interior detail you want to show. Usually, the larger scale models (1/350) have models within models, like the Arboretum or shuttlebays or bridge detail and the klear helps to show off the detail.

Also, the 350 TOS E comes with your choice of window inserts (black, white or clear) but those options are not available at the 650 scale.

The saucer, in just thinking about it, you will need to get creative and make a window, a thin piece of styrene to sit flush with the hull and then light it with the rest of the sauce from within.

I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Also, if you have more specific questions about building in general, the forum has a Modelers Question board where you can post it and have the real gurus of the site chime in. Here is a link.

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?board=22.0

Another tip is to search the Question board for other entries. I have been on this one A LOT and have gotten some excellent tips there!

Thanks and welcome to the board!

Steve

Hi Steve,

That's a huge help. Thanks. Working on a TIE Fighter with LEDs in the cockpit, engines, and flashing SMDs for the turbolasers (drilling those tiny guns out was an interesting exercise). Next is a BSG Viper Mk VII with the VoodooFX and Paragrafix lighting kit for the cockpit and engines. Then I'll probably move on to a larger Star Trek model with more windows/lights to figure out.

Dave

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 09:26:04 pm »
This I can do!  This is my one finished project right now.  There's a long story behind it, but I'll summarize: I chose the 1:650 for a few reasons.  First, it's the same kit I remember from my childhood (with a few exceptions).  Second, it was a small enough first project that if I completely screwed it up and the wind went out of my sails, I wouldn't be out a heap of money.  Third, it was easy to store and display afterwards.  (I don't know where I'd put a 1:350!)  But beyond any of that, there's something about this scale that just feels right, especially with lights.  And the fact that it wasn't designed to be lit offered additional challenges that interested me.  All those windows, for example . . . Mostly pleased, and this picture doesn't show most of the flaws.  But I know what I'll do differently in the future, and it was a great learning opportunity.  I warmly welcome questions and comments, and thanks for taking a look!

Tritanium

Offline Oswaldboelcke

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 10:34:49 pm »
Very nice!  Do you have any profile pics? 

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 10:36:50 pm »
Wow, lighting the 1/650 is a difficult thing to do.  It turned out really nice!  Nicely done!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 08:31:30 am »
Tritanium, very nice build and excellent pic!!

You did youself proud with this one! I have plans for a lighted 650 build; with a twist! (Talk about a teaser!)

Great job and thanks for sharing!

Steve

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49:16 am »
Matt and Steve: thanks for the kind words!

Enterprise © Bloc