Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2  (Read 512 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:36:21 am »
Hi everyone

I've just discovered this part of the forum and I think my current project may be of interest to some of you (?)
It's the 1/400 Revell Queen Mary 2 Liner - a subject until very recently I had never given a second thought to. I saw a fantastic build of one recently and it inspired me so much to go get one. Of course, it's long out of production and this one cost me nearly $200.00AU plus PE and wooden decking.
As with most of my builds - and the mere fact that this particular subject just screams for it - it will be lit  ;D (using a combination of SMD's, Fiber Optics and LED reel).
Its not a small kit - just on 85cm in length! I have made a start on it and it is currently waiting for paint to dry before I can get more shots done of it, bu the hull is generally painted and ready for decalling. Once decalling is done and the stabilizers added, I will commence the installation of the lighting.
I had to drill out all the lower windows and replace the center dividers which tool a stupid amount of time to do but it'll be worth it (I hope)
I have painted the swimming pools and the immediate surrounds (despite what the below pictures show - I just haven't taken any shots since I finished them last night). I have drilled some holes in the corners ready to add the FO threads  and the pool itself will be filled with clear resin. There is still PE railings etc to add which will be done soon enough :)
So, enough talking, time for some pictures:

A size comparison for you: behind the QM2 is a 1/350 Lazarev and a 1/32 K-5 Railroad gun:

Well, that's it for now but I will be updating again soon. It's going to be hard to keep on top of this now that my new Anigrand MC-80 has arrived not to mention my new 1/1000 Andromeda and EDF ship set 1, plus the Zvezda SD are here waiting for me. SO many choices and not enough time!!
Thanks for stopping in and having a look
Si

Offline karve

• Admiral
Re: Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:53:19 pm »
Wow looks like a very cool model!
  Good luck with it. I'll be watching with interest.  :)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline jazzydog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:02:29 pm »
Looking forward to following this build Madhatter!  ;D

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:47:12 am »
thanks guys. I know its not the most exciting project ever and it most certainly is not Sci-fi (the whole point of this forum) but it's good to have a break every now and then and do something outside your comfort zone
I'll try to make it as interesting as I can :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:57:23 am »
WOW!

Just...WOW!

I'm just saying....

Keep going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:15:02 pm »
So, work continues at my usual glacial pace and I finally have some progress worth showing
First up are the swimming pools - they are base painted and ready for the PE hand rails and then the clear resin. I have drilled some holes in the corners ready for some fiber optic cable to go in for pool lights. I'm thinking I may use an aqua coloured LED as a source to give it a better impression of not only depth but a better looking colour
I'm quite surprised to see a lack of some hand rails from the PE set for the pool surrounds. There are the surrounds for the spa pools but not the main ones. A rather odd omission from GGM here but not something that isn't able to be sorted out

Next up, I have finally got the paint on the hull and I am ready to start decalling it. Once the decals and flat coat etc are on, I will install the lighting and move on from there. This ship is so big it's hard to photograph!

I've used Gunze Midnight Blue for the dark strip and matches nicely to the photos I have of her. Just a couple of touch ups to do though up front, but I am hoping to have the decals on this weekend.
More soon
Thanks for looking
Si

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:52 pm »
This is so cool. To me a ship is a ship whether in space, in the water or under it. I'm  hoping to do some sub and ship models in the future so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. Man I love this stuff.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:01 am »
thanks bud. I have almost finished decalling the hull and will begin installing the lighting very soon which ought to be fun :) Pictures soon to follow (once I have taken some)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:44:27 pm »
Sweeet.  Too few big ships in the world today.  Nice work!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:38:45 am »
Thanks mate, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.
Time for a small update.  Things are progressing - all be it very slowly as I try to juggle study, work, life and trying to finish off another project so I can concentrate more on this build.
The decals are one and they look fine. I still need to tidy up a bit on the front as they didn't sit right but it's nothing really.

I have the wooden decking on some of it now and I must say, it does look rather spiffing

The pool lights are in and a test shows them to be looking very effective. They'll look even better once the clear resin goes in and the PE is attached

Well, that;s all I have for now, but I shall be back again soon
Thanks for looking
Si

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 05:34:17 pm »
Nice man, the lighting looks great. Are you going to keep it clean? Like no weathering at all? I hope so. I like those really nice looking engineering diplsay models of large vessels.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 04:50:13 am »
No - there won't be any weathering. I think this is one subject I want to build clean :) Starships on the other hand.... ;D

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 09:25:31 am »
I love what you've done so far. The pool lighting is gorgeous!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 12:11:31 am »
thanks bud :)
Things are progressing slowly. I finally have the lighting bar set up ready for the strip lights to go on..Its at such an angle to try and get as much light outwards as possible.We'll see soon enough if it works

some of the smaller structures have been assembled ready for clean up:

I have also painted the fibers - however, I am finding that in some cases they are breaking. They aren't under any strain, but I think the lacquer paint (Tamiya Spray cans) is eating away at the fibers. Its the only thing I can think of as to why they have started breaking. It's not a big deal - I'll just replace the broken fibers but its just a PITA to have to do that again

Well, that's all I have for now but I shall be back soon with the results of the lighting test :)

Si

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 10:24:38 pm »
test lighting images:

I need to add some foil to the bottom of the top plate to help reflect the light around more. More later when I have done more work on it.

Enterprise © Bloc