Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yet another Reliant build...  (Read 1505 times)

Offline whb64

• Commander
Yet another Reliant build...
« on: April 22, 2017, 02:41:11 am »
I'm starting my Reliant build.  This is the first model I have done in a couple decades.  I decided to do the Reliant before I jump into the big 350 scale models.

Right now I am drilling the windows, so nothing interesting as far as pictures, but I will start adding them.  I just bought an Arduino mini board for the strobes and Nav lights.  I will be using 3528 LED light strips in warm white for the window lighting and blue LED strips for the nacelles.

For the Aztec design I will be using Orbital Drydock's Aztec masks.  Also to cut down on the wiring I plan on using conductive copper tape from StewMac to make a +12vdc and ground power buss lines that I will tie in the LEDs to.

Since I can't find my old stash of modeling gear I had to buy a new compressor and airbrush.  I bought one from HarborFreight along with a double action airbrush

I know these aren't the best out there, but they will do for now.

Since there are no model stores anywhere near me, I am going to use Creatix paints with a good clear coat. 

I got the LED light strips from http://www.lightingever.com/12v-led-strip for $7.50 for 16.4ft (5M) rolls and got my LEDs from http://lighthouseleds.com/led-component-lighting.html

I'll start taking pictures of my build and updating here. 

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Yet another Reliant build...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 12:32:39 pm »
Can never have too many Reliant builds. ;D
Iain

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »
Joachim: They're still running with shields down.
Khan: Of course! We are one big, happy fleet! Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?

Sorry  couldn't  resist. Everytime someone says they are going to build the Reliant I have to quote the movie.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:57:58 pm »
Joachim: They're still running with shields down.
Khan: Of course! We are one big, happy fleet! Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?

Sorry  couldn't  resist. Everytime someone says they are going to build the Reliant I have to quote the movie.

Wooohoo!  Love the quote!  Can't wait for the rest of the model build. BTW (I LOVE this):

http://www.khaaan.com/

Cheers!

Simi

As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:13:24 pm »
Windows are drilled and almost to my satisfaction- a little more work shaping and cleaning them up.

The saucer section is primed on both sides and light blocked:

This is what I used for light blocking and I highly recommend it:  After the primer coat I sprayed two coats of Rustoleum Camouflage flat black.  I only had to spray two coats because I missed a spot.  This stuff killed ALL light coming through.  The primer alone stopped most of the light, but there was still some bleed.  After using the Camouflage black the only light that is showing how is from the windows I drilled.  This stuff works great!

I also received my LED warm light strip today:  $7.50 for a 16.4ft roll

Next I will spray the inside of the saucer with a reflective paint.  I got some high reflective silver as well as some gloss white.  I know Boyd didn't like how the silver looked but I'll try both and see.

I'm still waiting on the hanger bay to arrive from Federation Models and then I will start putting the lights in.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:43:29 pm by whb64 »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:55:03 am »
Looking good, whb64!

Thanks for the light blocking tips!

I have been thinking of getting some strip SMDs and was debating over which brand to get. Thanks for the pic!

Let me know how they turn out for you!

Keep at it!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:41:09 pm »
I was all excited today and hoping to get back to my Reliant build, but ended up with a big letdown.

I was supposed to get my Miranda Class shuttlebay kit from FederationModels today but when I opened the package it's the Galaxy Class shuttlebay.  I left them a voice mail and sent an email and hope they resolve this, but sadly it means I have to wait even longer now before I can go back to working on the Reliant.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 12:47:15 pm »
I was all excited today and hoping to get back to my Reliant build, but ended up with a big letdown.

I was supposed to get my Miranda Class shuttlebay kit from FederationModels today but when I opened the package it's the Galaxy Class shuttlebay.  I left them a voice mail and sent an email and hope they resolve this, but sadly it means I have to wait even longer now before I can go back to working on the Reliant.

Bummer, Dude!

Stay Strong!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 01:57:15 pm »
Yeah it's a bummer.  I'm starting to think this Reliant build is cursed.  First the Arduino board went to the wrong address and then this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:34:18 am by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:07:34 am »
Are there any printable window templates out there? I'd like to try printing the window layout and then transferring and drilling them on some thin aluminum sheets and use that as a guide for drilling the windows on the model.  Has anyone tried this?  Yes I know Paragrafix has them, but everything is starting to add up real fast!

Next question...  Orbital Drydock or Aztek Dummy masks?  Who can give me the pros and cons of each?  I read about the old Aztek Dummy black masks and saw some videos on those, so I am aware of that but my understanding is the problem was resolved.  Is one set easier to apply than the other (doubt it, I'd think they'd be the same there) and is one more accurate than the other?

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »
I used Aztek Dummy on my Miranda and thoroughly loved the results.  http://www.scottshobbyplace.com/SciFiModels/Miranda/BuildingStarshipUSSTiananmen.html
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 09:03:58 am »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 10:01:30 am »
you could try these for the windows:

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Reliant-1537-decals-from-JTGraphics-_p_3145.html

This a good suggestion. Boyd Crompton used the window decals on his Excelsior kit as templates to drill the windows, then just scrubbed the decals off when he was done.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 10:11:26 am »
It also looks like you are using the older version of this kit (i'm building this and the newer one at the same time right now), and had some problems using LED tape around the saucer edge due to how close the two halves are once put together. I'm going for using some side lighting fiber optic cable to run around the edge to give it an even glow for the main saucer windows.

just a suggestion!

be happy to hear how you get on with yours and using the tape!

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:19 am »
It also looks like you are using the older version of this kit (i'm building this and the newer one at the same time right now), and had some problems using LED tape around the saucer edge due to how close the two halves are once put together. I'm going for using some side lighting fiber optic cable to run around the edge to give it an even glow for the main saucer windows.

just a suggestion!

be happy to hear how you get on with yours and using the tape!
That issue should be resolved- the Miranda class shuttlebay kit also comes with the saucer spacer kit that makes the saucer higher like it is supposed to be. 

Enterprise © Bloc