Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yet another Reliant build...  (Read 2703 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: Yet another Reliant build...
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 12:12:42 pm »
So I guess the million dollar question is to light just the inside or both?

From what you are saying and how everyone else has been doing it I'd say only the inside.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 03:30:29 pm »
I'll preface this by saying my Reliant is languishing unfinished in the boxes. But I bought the blue chiller grill inserts from Don's Light & Magic for just the inboard side, though he does have both sets. On mine there was only room for one strip of standard size LED tape inside mounted to the inside wall of the outboard chiller grill. I'm sure both can be lit but it's awful tight in there and hotspots are a definite issue. Whatever you decide, it's your model and you should do it your way. I'm sure it will look great.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline whb64

• Captain
Building a shuttle bay from scratch
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 03:45:51 pm »
Ok first I want to say it looks better in person ;)

Since I am using the old Reliant kit with the thinner saucer, the Federation Models resin shuttle bay kit doesn't fit- not without using the spacers and the spacers are more work than they are worth.  So I am saving the resin kit for another build with the new Reliant kit.  This one is mainly a practice run but I still am trying to make it look good.

Here is my shuttle bay...  the back end of the Reliant is just taped on right now and isn't primed or anything so don't mind that.

Believe it or not the shuttles are actually in scale.  I figured it out that a 6ft tall man would be 1/8th of an inch tall in 537 scale.  The small shuttle comes out (to scale) at just under 8ft tall and around 12ft long.  The bigger shuttle is more of a transport and in scale is just over 10ft tall and around 18ft long

Looking in the shuttle bay doors:  I zoomed in so the shuttle craft and door openings are smaller than they look in the picture.  I'll take a long shot later to show the size unzoomed,

I like how the floor turned out with the gloss, you can see the reflection of the shuttle craft on the floor.

The ceiling is clear styrene that I coating with window frosting on both sides to diffuse the light.  Right now I have an LED desk lamp pointed at the top of the ceiling so I could get an idea of what it will look like lit up.  Once the back end of the Reliant is cleaned up and painted and the shuttle bay windows are in it will take on a whole different look... at least I hope!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:56:51 pm by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 03:56:03 pm »
I'm actually kind of embarrassed by the last set of pictures.  I was thinking of not posting them until after the build is done, like I said, I'm pretty positive once everything is buttoned up and the tint is on the shuttle bay inserts it's going to look totally different.  Worse case, its a drop in piece so I can take it out and scrap the whole idea.

Also the cons of this kit are that the photoetch pieces are also made for the newer thicker saucer and rear section.  A lot of the pieces won't work without modifying them so I may save them for another build.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 08:14:25 pm »
Bummer about the after market parts.  I bought some after market parts for my Miranda only to find that while they made the saucer thicker they didn't do anything for the 'rollbar' struts.  Useless! 

I love the way your shuttlebays look and I hope they make the final cut!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Captain
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 11:17:57 am »
Love the shuttle idea.  Really cool job so far.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 07:55:04 am »
Steve you may like what I am going to do then :)

I'm going to scratch build a shuttle bay!

Whoa! (ala Neo!) Are you trying to make me in awe of your talent?! Cause it's working!! ;D

I don't think I have ever seen anyone make the shuttlebay for a Reliant! Outstanding job, whb64!!

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:03 am »
There's been a bit of a delay... all my fault.

When I started this I tried drilling out the windows by hand.  With the old kit the windows are nicely defined but my dremel slipped a couple of times and marred the surface.  I also filed too much on some of the oval shaped windows and they came out too big.  So I have been puttying and sanding and now I'll use the photoetch window templates.  Once I get the window redone I'll put on the base coat and start the detail painting and then mount the lights.

I haven't decided on the photon lights yet.  I'd love to have a board that simulates the powering up and firing of the photon torpedoes but I don't want to spend any more money or wait for parts.  Maybe the Ardunio board can do that but I have no idea how to write a sketch let alone a sketch for that.  I do have some red flashing LEDs so maybe I'll put a couple of those in.  It won't look perfect but with a momentary button I think it could provide a decent effect.

I decided to use the base for the 350 scale 1701 Refit as my Reliant base.  I plan on using custom bases for all my 350 scale builds. 

I also decided that I am going to be doing a 350 scale Reliant.  For that one I am going to go all out with the lighting and detail.  I'm even thinking of incorporating a small (cheap) tablet in the base to play video clips from the movie.  It would be really cool to somehow sync the video clips with the lighting for firing sequences, but I have no idea how to do something like that!

I'll have some more pictures tonight.

I really want to finish this so I can start on my NX-01 build, but I also don't want to make the same mistake I did when I was a kid and rush things.  I'm going to be moving and I plan on having a dedicated room for building models.  I think I'll probably have two kits going at once, that way when one is drying I can be working on the other.  I hate waiting on things to get done!  Maybe doing this will prevent me from rushing but still speed up things by having multiple builds going.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:55 pm »
Not much of an update-

I cleaned up my mess from the previous post and drilled the holes for the 3mm NAV lights- ten total: Two red on the saucer port side top and bottom, two green on the saucer starboard side top and bottom, two white at the front center of the saucer top and bottom.  Then there are white NAV lights at the corners of the rear of the deck top and bottom for a total of ten NAVs.

I still have to drill the strobe light holes and photons and bridge LEDs.  I don't know if I am going to do dedicated lights over the hanger bay doors or see if the ambient light in the shuttle bay will be bright enough.  Not counting the LED tape, there is going to be around 22 LEDs (26 if I light the hanger ports) and around four feet of LED tape lighting.

My new airbrush should arrive tomorrow and once I get the rest of the holes drilled I can start painting and then securing the lights in place.  Hopefully things will start to go fast after that.

The longest part of this build has been waiting for parts to be shipped and then some apprehension on a few things.  I toyed with the idea of getting the Orbital Drydock Aztec masks and saving the Aztek Dummy masks away for another build, but I don't want to spend any more money at this point or wait for something else to ship.  As is I may have to get a second Arduino Nano to handle all the lights.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »
whb64,

I've yet to have to resort to an Arduino board for the lights. I even had to get help for some blinky lights on my Protector build! But you seem to be doing really well with the build!

At least, I think so because, there aren't very many pictures!!  ;D ;)

Being a visual person, I need the pics to live vicariously!

Joachim: They're still running with shields down.

Khan: Of course! We are one big, happy fleet!

Keep going!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 02:43:33 pm »

At least, I think so because, there aren't very many pictures!!  ;D ;)

Being a visual person, I need the pics to live vicariously!

Pictures are coming, I didn't think pictures of me sanding and drilling would be a lot of fun to look at ;)

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 04:25:46 pm »
Here are the boring ones-

Top and bottom saucer primed from before.  I primed the rear piece and puttied the seam and started sanding. I didn't like how the windows turned out when I tried using the windows molded in the kit. I had to completely fill the windows and sand them smooth so I could use the photoetch templates.

Rear section primed and initial putty and sanding

Closeup of the windows before I put the aluminum tape and refined the openings.

Here is the base pearl coat.  It is white but also has a silverish look to it.  I watched Lou Diamaso's videos and he did exactly what I was thinking-  to get the proper shading and effect you need to do a 'negative' (my wording) paint scheme.  By that I mean you need to spray the color/shade that the Aztec panels will be, then apply the masks and after that spray the color that will be the main hull color.  If you do it in reverse then the Aztec panels will come out the lighter shade and the ship will look like the main color is the darker shade.  Every ship/picture I have seen the main hull is always the lighter color.

Note:  The lighter areas are where the pearl white is starting to dry.

This is something I wish more people would do- show where they are putting their lights.  These do seem to be correct based in studio photos

Here's a diagram of where I drilled the NAV and strobe light holes.  There are nubs at each of these locations.  I'll find the drill size I used and post that as well.  The bits were perfect size for 3mm round top LEDs for the NAVs and 2mm tower LEDS for the strobes.

And here is my new airbrush that arrived yesterday!  This thing is a joy to use and much more comfortable and for me at least I have much more control now.  My old siphon feed Badger style 'pencil' airbrush sprayed just fine, but it was awkward to hold... again for me. (AND it was only something like $35!)

I have a breadboard. more LEDs, two more Arduino and expansion boards, rocker switches, momentary switches and 1200 resistors coming!  They should be here Saturday and once I get the trim painting done and masking, I will install the lights.  While I am painting I will get the Arduino programmed and layout the lights and do a 72 hour burn in.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:32:15 pm by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 04:32:35 pm »
I decided to go a different route with the officer's/observation window at the back of the rear of the bridge lower level-  Instead of drilling, cutting and filing it out, I decided to sand the window area and inside the saucer.  It has a really nice illuminated glow now. Unfortunately I have it covered with liquid mask at the moment so I can't shine a light inside to show what it looks like.  I will be doing the same for the nacelles.  Instead of cutting the inboard flux chillers out, I'll sand the inside and mask that area and light block the rest.  This will give a nice diffused look, and besides my eyes are starting to get old so drilling and filing is getting harder to keep straight!

Also please keep in mind this is a 'practice run' build and I am trying to hone my skills after being out of modeling for around 25 years!

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 04:38:48 pm »
Brilliant! Great post! I totally agree about the light placement, so thank you for posting the schematic as a guide :)

Sorry if you've already mentioned it, but what make/model is your new airbrush? It does look like it would be a lot nicer to hold/control.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your Aztec painting after seeing your base colour too

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 09:35:20 pm »
Okay... I'm not saying I'M going to do this, but I was digging through my scrap/extra parts and was looking at the 537 Enterprise saucer and parts I have.  I bet someone has done this I just haven't seen it done-  the biggest complaint about the original Reliant kit is that the saucer isn't the right thickness.  Well...  Both being 537 scale the saucer from the 1701 is the exact size of the Rrliant saucer.  Plus it is much more detailed I took the bottom of the Enterprise saucer and it mates right up to the top of the Reliant, minus the rear deck of course.

Based on the quality craftsmanship I see of people on here it wouldn't take much to at least swap the bottom section, but with the talent here I'd say both the bottom and top could be swapped.  This would also provide the windows from the Enterprise (yes I know, they aren't exactly the same).  Just saying this would be a pretty impressive upgrade.  If anyone has any links to someone that's done this please send them to me :)

Another cool mode would be to build a Next Gen 'Miranda Class' style ship :)

Enterprise © Bloc