Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reliant - 1/537  (Read 6091 times)

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
Reliant - 1/537
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:34:10 pm »
Hi all,

So I'm tackling my next big lighting project and thought I'd share my progress

I'm using an arduino board for the lighting and have the paragrafix photoetch and DLM aftermarket kit as well

Going ok so far with no major issues, but I haven't got to the point of attaching the nacelles (which I've heard is the tricky bit)

https://youtu.be/1VLCu3LeoAM

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:46:32 am by incubus35 »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Reliant - 1/537
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:57:35 am »
Nice, incubus35!

It looks like you have done this before! Outstanding!

I take it you are not quite done yet. It looks like you have some major seam work ahead of you if you aren't!

But so far, it looks like it will finish up as an awesome build!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:32:54 am »
Hi Steve,

thanks! this is actually only my 3rd proper lit build - and about my 6th/7th model since getting into it a year or two back.

and yup, this is just a basic lighting test quite early on in the process - the horrors of sealing it up and attaching the nacelles is yet to come. any advice on getting them to be straight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm actually building two of the reliant at the same time (because i'm crazy), one that will be the fairly destroyed version from the end of the film - using the original release of the kit, and the one above is the more recent reissue that i got the orbital drydock masks for this morning.

thanks again!
Pete

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »
Hey Pete,

TBH, I haven't built the Reliant and, at my current rate of build and number already in the stash, may never. But...

As for getting the nacelles straight and level, I would recommend a rigid gig (Now that I type it, it sounds a bit suggestive. Pressing on!) Something where you can support the Primary hull and accurately align the nacelles in relation to the Primary Hull. I have seen some Masters use something as simple as a Lego brick gig and or as complex as a custom build matrix.

David Shaw - 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

The above picture is NOT mine and I hold not rights to it. It does belong to David Shaw, an excellent researcher and model builder, who shared this work on another forum. He does visit this forum, but infrequently.

This is just to show you what is possible depending on your desired level of perfection. I have used stacks of books to corral my own TOS builds and longed for Legos that were a little more precise.

Food for thought. Let me know if you need more clarification.

LLAP!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 06:47:46 pm »
... I would recommend a rigid gig ...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:53:18 pm by starsiegeplayer »

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:47:33 pm »
Thanks Steve! Sorry for the delay replying.

Guess I'll need to figure out the depth of the nacelles and give it a few trial runs before gluing it up!

This is my work from today on the battle damage to the Reliant - my first go at 'destroying' a kit, which was immense fun!

Thanks again

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:10:05 am »
and with the base colour on and in situ

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:39:05 pm »
On the up side, the 'destroyed' sections won't need much light.  Nice looking take on the Reliant!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:01:34 pm »
Cool... are you going to blow off the port warp engine too?

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 03:14:20 am »
thanks guys!

and yup, the port nacelle isn't going to be attached. I was thinking of threading a number of different sized fiber optics on randomised timers/colours (via the Arduino) to make it look like some sparking on the damaged pylon too.

any other ideas for how to improve the battle damage would be greatly appreciated - i'm very new to this!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 07:35:34 am »
thanks guys!

and yup, the port nacelle isn't going to be attached. I was thinking of threading a number of different sized fiber optics on randomised timers/colours (via the Arduino) to make it look like some sparking on the damaged pylon too.

any other ideas for how to improve the battle damage would be greatly appreciated - i'm very new to this!

Wow! You are gonna set the gold standard for a damaged Reliant build! Can't wait to see how you're gonna do this!!

Steve

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 10:53:57 am »
Thanks again Steve!

Ok, I think i'm going to go back and be a total noob, but start updating this properly (from the start!).

So, my plan was to build 2 Reliant kits at the same time, as I had the older kit for a while, but had quite a number of problems with some of the aftermarket kit parts i bought - more on that later!

So, the older kit is going to be the damaged version from the end of Star Trek II, and the other will be nice and pristine like the start of the film.

I have several aftermarket kit parts, but only one of each, so they are being shared between the kits.

The paragrafix kit is going on the Beauty, whereas I'm going to do my best to approximate some of those changes to the Beast. The DLM B/C deck is going on the beast due to the poor casting on the original kit and the blue/clear flux chiller grills will be used on both (as I bought both the inner and outer ones, but i'll only be opening the inner part on both kits).

I also have the Orbital Drydock mask for the Beauty, and the free decal versions from the starship modeler website for the Beast:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/cz_mask.htm

I would also say that i've only been a model builder for around 2 years now, and although i've done a couple of lit builds, this is me going all out on this project.

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 11:06:52 am »
so here's the difference between the B/C deck on the two kits:

This is the DLM part:

and here is the reissue (stock part).

I have used the approach to add some height to the bridge deck on the reissue, as i want to use an SMD to light up the registry.

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 11:10:14 am »
The paragrafix kit is brilliant, it just adds so much detail to this kit!

Just a lighting test, so there is some cleanup that needs doing, but i was really happy with how the officers lounge turned out!

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 11:14:54 am »
So here's the difference between the two back parts of the kit:

The Beast:

Beauty:

Enterprise © Bloc