Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reliant - 1/537  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Tailgunner

• Ensign
Re: Reliant - 1/537
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 10:11:16 pm »
Excellent plans and excellent progress!
Really like what you are doing here!!

Thanks! Fingers crossed the plans work out :)

A little bit of an update - as the weather has been ridiculously hot over here, so I've not got loads done.

I have however got the nacelle glued together. I went for the raytheon lighting method, as I'm going to save the DLM transparent blue parts for the Beauty and also for my 1/537 Refit.

It's been a while since I built this kit, but I'm worried that you have the nacelle installed on the wrong pylon.  That's a port side nacelle with a starboard side pylon.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:14:57 pm by Tailgunner »

Offline Tailgunner

• Ensign
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 10:23:04 pm »
however, the damage you've added to this kit is exceptional.

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2017, 10:55:48 pm »
Excellent plans and excellent progress!
Really like what you are doing here!!

Thanks! Fingers crossed the plans work out :)

A little bit of an update - as the weather has been ridiculously hot over here, so I've not got loads done.

I have however got the nacelle glued together. I went for the raytheon lighting method, as I'm going to save the DLM transparent blue parts for the Beauty and also for my 1/537 Refit.

It's been a while since I built this kit, but I'm worried that you have the nacelle installed on the wrong pylon.  That's a port side nacelle with a starboard side pylon.

That is an amazing spot Tailgunner!

You are actually quite right - although it's actually 2 of the outer sides cobbled together. This is because the 2 inner parts were damaged beyond repair when I tried to remove the flux chillers, which is one of the reasons for going for the damaged version in the first place :)

It took quite a bit of work to get them to fit, especially at the pylon connection point, but I'll post some pictures of how they look from a few different angles later

Outstanding observation skills, and thanks for the concern!

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2017, 05:58:32 am »
I have a quick question for the hive-mind. What have people done for the sensor bands on this model? Have you just masked the lines off in a super careful way? Or have you obtained decals for these?

With being in the UK, it can be really expensive to get a set of decals that are produced professionally, but if anyone has some printable ones for this kit I'd be really grateful!

thanks again for all your kind words of support everyone, it has helped keep me motivated :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2017, 07:31:01 am »
Pete, this is still looking amazing!

Tailgunner, I wouldn't have caught that! Great eye! (Of course, I haven't built a TMP Era ship yet, so I wouldn 't know, but, still...)

Pete, in case I missed it, is this going to be the "damaged" one? If so, what are you going to do to it? Any flickering lights?

Keep 'er going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »
I have some sensor bands that you can print out. I have them at 1200 dpi or 300 dpi.
I would have to email them to ypu due to file size.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2017, 05:41:27 am »
I have some sensor bands that you can print out. I have them at 1200 dpi or 300 dpi.
I would have to email them to ypu due to file size.

Thanks again Tankton! I've sent you a PM with my email address, but let me know if you didn't get it :)

So, I've been a bit quiet the last week or two as it's been mostly doing little fiddly bits - I've done the detail painting on the nacelle, and also finally tested all the lights working (navs, strobes, running and battle damage).

Here's a video of the lot running at once.

https://youtu.be/89yCH4vvEJU

Thanks again Steve! I'm still playing with the idea of running some of the fiber optics down the damaged nacelle - but as I'm struggling to have multiple flickering effects on the arduino, I might have to leave it as is. Still not given up yet though!

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2018, 03:05:17 pm »
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay with updating this thread, I must admit I lost a bit of steam with the build and then life got in the way too!

I've been back at it for a couple of weeks and finally have some updates to share.

After much procrastination, I finally got on with the big scary job and got it all buttoned up. It's taken a lot of puttying, sanding and priming to get it all smooth around the saucer. For those that have been following, this is the original pop (with the thinner saucer and the horrible raised detail around the rim which I had to sand off), and I haven't used any PE or after market kits aside from the B/C deck from DLM. Everything else has been home made, aside from the decals which are from the starship modeler website   :)

(sorry for the rubbish video quality!)

https://youtu.be/a7HYIcEZZNo

I've still got some tidying up to do, and the final battle damage and weathering to finish off, but I'm hoping to get those done this week.

Thanks again for all the support and again my apologies for the delay in progressing this one!

Happy modelling!

Pete

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2018, 08:57:08 pm »
WOW!  Pete, that is a superb paint job, and lighting kit.  Well done!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2018, 07:03:05 am »
Pete,

Welcome back! i was wondering if you finished this one or not!

Glad to see the update. The paint job look superb!

Keep posting.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2018, 01:12:14 pm »
Thanks Steve and Scott! Your supportive comments are really appreciated :)

I'm hoping to get back into things now that life has settled down a bit. So, any suggestions of what to go for next? I was thinking of maybe doing the 'smoothie' so I could have a pair of TWOK models, but I'm open to suggestions :)

Thanks again!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 07:22:33 am »
Pete, if I had a "smoothie" to do, I would do it! Alas, I only have the brick one - with a smoothie saucer.

I have heard, assuming you are talking about a 1/537 TMP Enterprise, there are ALOT of design flaws in it that have to be overcome for the kit to turn out decent. It's not impossible to do, as exampled by several builds here, but makes it a daunting build. However, after seeing some of your builds, I know your skills are more than up to the challenge!

Just a suggestion, and it may have been overdone, but the TOS Cutaway hasn't made an appearance here in a while. I would love to see someone step through it! I would especially love to see someone make clear sections of the hull to view the innards rather than just leave them off. Just a thought!

OR, and this is a big OR, you could take the 1/537 Enterprise and scratch build ontop of it the Discovery Enterprise! A quality build hasn't been done here.

Whatever you choose, I would love to follow along and learn!

Have fun!

Steve

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 11:23:34 am »
More fantastic work!  Love it.  Must go putty and sand now... :)

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2018, 11:03:19 am »
Thanks JWood!

And Steve, your confidence in my (alleged) abilities is appreciated! haha

Loving the ideas!

I was very lucky to get hold of a smoothie - and it came with the below too!

So, although I know it's going to take a fair bit of cutting and building, I think I have most of the parts to help improve it. I'm just missing the B/C deck I think - and sadly, with the import charges to the U.K., I think I'm going to have to live without it :(

The idea for the cutaway version sounds really interesting! I'd love to figure out a way to light up the various sections, and even have things like motors working in the nacelles, but that might be a little above my abilities for now. Do you have any ideas for the clear parts?

Also loving the idea for building on top of the 1/537 to make it look like the Discovery Enterprise! I do have a brick one too - the Special Edition version, I believe from around ST:V or ST:VI, so I would be interested in exploring that idea too.

I've heard that Polar Lights are looking at doing some Discovery models too, which I'm sure will be of a much higher build quality than if I tried to upgrade one. :s

As always, thanks for your support!

Enterprise © Bloc