Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Playmates Vor'cha-class Attack Cruiser Buildup  (Read 496 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Playmates Vor'cha-class Attack Cruiser Buildup
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:01:54 am »
As I mentioned in another thread I am going to redo my Playmates ships and try to 'improve' them with better paint jobs, added lighting, and better decals/markings.

While I am waiting for the rest of my Reliant parts to come in I decided to work on updatiing the Vor' cha-class Attack Cruiser.

This is the ship before I started.  It's been in storage, played with by my son, then my grandson, and it is appropriately dirty for a Klingon vessel.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:45:16 pm by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: Playmates Vor'cha-class Attack Cruiser Buildup
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:12:53 am »
Next obvious step is cleaning it and taking it apart.

For the most part this was pretty easy... for the most part.  95% is held together with screws, the other 5% had to be pried apart.  These pieces had just enough glue that one broke, and some of the posts broke off in the holes.  This isn't as bad as it sounds because a little glue and everything will be fine.  Also the part that broke is the underside of the upper engine pod and it won't be seen when put back together.  Also the break was pretty clean so one a little sanding is done and new paint it won't even be noticeable even if you could see it.

Here it is disassembled:  The electronics are very basic and came out with no problem.  Boyd may get a kick out of this- they used hot glue in places to tack the wires down :)  I put the electronics in a baggie for now while I get everything cleaned and primed.  Later I will decide if I want to keep the battery pack inside the ship or relocate it to a base.

]

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:50:58 pm by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:59:53 am »
And here it is prined, drying, and waiting for a base coat of something that looks 'Klingon green'

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:54:21 pm by whb64 »

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:34:21 am »
This looks like a fun project, often these toys are completely let down by the machined paint job so redoing it will really enhance it, keep going, its going to be great
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 01:44:38 pm »
It actually is a lot of fun.  My health has been bad lately and this is something I can do without exerting myself.

Right now the million dollar question is how far do I want to go with the Playmate rebuilds.  Paint alone will make a HUGE difference, but the lighting effects are pretty poor in all of them.  Also since they are toys the lights do weird things like when the phasers fire the engine lights blink, things like that.  My plan is to bypass the control board for the lights and power them separately and use the boards for weapons and sound.  I will also add a few lights for cabin lighting and things like that.

I also don't know if I want to move the power source to a base or leave it inside the ships.  It would be cool to have everything self contained like it is now, but then again since these are going to be displays (most were used that way anyway) a base wouldn't detract from the look or function.  Decals are going to be interesting because these don't seem to be the same scale as model kits.  I'll figure something out though.

As far as the quality, the plastic is WAY stronger than any model kit AND they are already lit, so that means there are no light bleed issues and they already have channels to run the wires and lights. 

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 01:47:56 pm »
I have  close to 30 Playmate ships plus all the duplicates and triples and I have another two dozen model kits to build, so I definitely have enough to keep me busy for a long time!  My plan is to have two going, probably a model build and a Playmate ship.  This way while I am waiting for paint or glue to dry on one I can be working on the other.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:34:11 pm »
Already the new paint job shows the potential of this model.  Looking forward to how it develops.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:58:46 pm »
As much as I hate working with fiber optics, I realized that's the only way to add cabin lights to this thing.  This must be one huge ship, whatever the scale is, from what I can tell that looks like windows are the size of pins.  Is the model like this too?  From what I found online the Playmates ship is around the same size as the model- this is 13-14" from the front to the furthest part if the engines.

Also I was at my storage unit and I have three more of these.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:47:01 pm »
I picked my colors.  I know it's not accurate, but then again when I looked online I saw a variety of color schemes, including a studio picture that wasn't the wimpy looking light pea green.  I think these colors look 'more Klingon'... at least to me.  :)

Here is the base coat and preliminary detail color. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:56:06 pm by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 02:24:22 am »
Some more detail painting- probably a day or two more and I'll be ready to start the lighting.

It looks totally different from when I started.  I'm pleased with the colors and look even though it may not be correct to the series.  I think it looks more in line with how other Klingon ships looked.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:57:08 pm by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 03:21:08 pm »
I opened my AMT Vor'cha kit and wow am I disappointed.  First is is smaller than the Playmates version... it's only slightly smaller but still smaller.  Also it's not a two piece shell for the main body, you have to glue the side panels on and there are something like five panels and they already don't line up perfect.  I can see there being an issue if one panel is out of line things aren't going to fit together.  Detail is about the same, with a slight edge for the Playmates version.  The Playmates is thicker plastic and the panels have deeper lines and etching is deeper and seems more detailed.

Personally. for anyone wanting to build a Vor'cha class, I honestly would recommend getting the Playmates version.  It's pretty easy to take apart and put back together, it already has lights and sound, and will be easy to add some lighting upgrades.

I was debating just keeping the Playmates lighting as is and going all out with lighting for the model kit but now I am back to thinking I will make the Playmates more of a show piece.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 12:07:31 am »
This is the window template I picked for the side windows:

The first set spells Klingon in braille and the second set spells Vorcha in braille- each side will have a different pattern but I figure the Klingons weren't much on symetry... anyway I thought the braille window pattern was kind of different :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:57:50 pm by whb64 »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 07:26:56 am »
This is the window template I picked for the side windows:

The first set spells Klingon in braille and the second set spells Vorcha in braille- each side will have a different pattern but I figure the Klingons weren't much on symetry... anyway I thought the braille window pattern was kind of different :)

Before I read your explanation about the window patterns, I was like "That looks like Braille!" Then I was like "Oh. It IS Braille." Duh!

Nice personalized touch! Morse Code could have been just as cool!

Looking good!

Steve
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:02:14 am by MSgtUSAFRet »
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:47 am »
I was looking at various windows on different kits and thought hmm, that looks like braille!  Federation ships have a combination of round and oval windows that do look like Morse code, but Klingon ships seem to all be round porthole style windows.

Unfortunately I got my template upside down on one side, but oh well lol.  I just thought it was a cool 'inside' thing to put the name of the class on the ship as the windows :)

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 05:58:29 pm »
Fixed all the broken image links (Thanks for the headache PhotoBucket)

Enterprise © Bloc