Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: R-Type R9-A Arrowhead by PLUM  (Read 1029 times)

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
R-Type R9-A Arrowhead by PLUM
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:04:20 am »
I have decided to start a fairly ambitious lighting project: the R9-A Arrowhead starfighter from the shmup game R-Type Delta by Irem. PLUM makes this kit. Most of the lighting is thanks to HDA Modelworx.

Thank you for everyone who gave me advice in this thread. Thanks to your advice, I have begun this project.

I've uploaded the first video of my project so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWdK1yVXKzs

I will be using flickering blue LEDs for the engines (one 5mm and four 3mm) and the cockpit will include yellow fiber optics, and a purple UV SMD. Luminescent/glow-in-the-dark paint will be used for the pilot and the cockpit, making use of the UV light coming from the console.

I have a question about whether or not to wire the five thrusters in parallel. Four of them will be 3mm flickering blue LEDs and the largest thruster will have a 5mm one. I suppose it would be better to have the four smaller LEDs using one resistor and the one larger one using a lower resistor. These LEDs come with resistors already, set for 12v. I will be using a 9v battery. Should I just use the resistors that they come with? I haven't done a test burn yet.

R-Type's gameplay incorporates an indestructible force orb that upgrades the shots, can be used as a shield, and can be launched at enemies. The model has a shiny yellowish ping-pong ball-type sphere that is split into two halves. Following SergeantHobo's advice, I intend to use a series of 4 SMDs that have a 120 degree shining radius to hopefully illuminate the ball from the inside. I've never soldered an SMD before, but I've seen video tutorials on YouTube by BadGrendels. Once I have them wired up, I will experiment with resistors to dim them accordingly. I've already gone over the inside and outside of this ball with 400 and 600 sanding sponges, and have given them a clear coat of Mr. Color flat clear mixed with a generous helping of flat base to help refract the light. You'll see this in the second video, whenever I finish it. The force orb has four prong arms attached to it in a ring. My hope is to attach the SMDs to the parts of the prong that fit inside the ball.

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
Re: R-Type R9-A Arrowhead by PLUM
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:34:53 pm »
The lighting is coming along.

I am installing a UV SMD into the cockpit to be used as a display screen. The UV will shine on reflective/glow-in-the-dark paint within the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PbiquWsHvU

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
Here is the third video. The SMDs light up the plastic ball wonderfully!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfaQTit5NqA

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 12:15:08 am »
I'm an old-skool arcade gamer and R-Type was one of my favorites! Watching this build with great interest. :)

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 02:24:04 am »
Thanks! I was wondering when anyone would say something. I remember the first time I saw an R-Type cabinet. I think it was at a Mexican restaurant when I was a kid. I had never seen Alien at that time, and I thought that the Giger-esque boss (was it the first level boss?) was so hauntingly cool-looking.

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:35:41 am »
I'm not familiar with the game myself, but it is a pretty cool subject and certainly not something I have ever seen before now. Nice lighting too

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 07:55:37 am »
I remember the first time I saw an R-Type cabinet. I think it was at a Mexican restaurant when I was a kid. I had never seen Alien at that time, and I thought that the Giger-esque boss (was it the first level boss?) was so hauntingly cool-looking.

Dobkeratops? My thoughts exactly.

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:52:32 pm »
For those who want to just take a look at what I am doing without watching the videos, I did a write-up with pictures to describe what I'm doing so far. I posted this on the SFMA G+ page last night and I also tweeted this to the president of PLUM. He has re-tweeted some of my stuff before and has given me stuff to give my daughter. PLUM is a small model company in Nagano Prefecture. They make plastic models and anime figures. Their plastic models are mostly Japanese castles and retro video game subjects. I did a photo gallery of their shops here.

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 11:07:51 pm »
Work has been coming along well on the R-Type kit. There's a section underneath the cockpit that I thought might look cool lit up with a red LED, so I drilled out a 1mm tall strip section. I think after it is painted, I can put Micro Kristal Klear across this gap to form a window. I will have that, a yellow LED to light up the fibers (there will be 6 yellow light points in the cockpit area), the UV SMD to act as the cockpit console, the 5mm flickering blue LED, and the four 3mm flickering blue LEDs on the ship. As for the force orb sphere, I have successfully soldered the magnet wires to form a strand of four SMDs that I will install into the plastic ball. After redoing this strand, the solder joints are now solid.

It's going to be an ambitious lighting project (at least as far as my experience goes!).  Not including the fiber optic points of light, there will be a total of 8 lights in the ship and 4 in the orb.

I am glad I have those spare pieces I've been able to experiment with. The trick I've learned is to file down the locator pegs so that they won't snap together so firmly, allowing me to undo the fit easily for test fits. I'll just use glue with the final assembly.

I have the idea to attach thin metal pieces to the stand's pegs so that the ship can be easily detached. I hope to have other metal pieces in the mounting holes to make contact with the metal to light the ship up. I have some photoetch pliers that I think can probably bend these metal pieces into submission.

This kit does not come with any decals, but I have that taken care of already. I have a lot of decals made by Wave and HIQ Parts for number markings, warning signs, etc. NEAT STUFF.

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 05:19:18 pm »
Here is video 5 on YouTube.

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 06:06:34 am »

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:10 pm »
Lovin this build!

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 02:43:05 am »
Lovin this build!
Thanks. This is turning out to be rather ambitious. I hope I can manage the wiring as well as connecting the metal contacts to the stand to complete the circuits.

Enterprise © Bloc