Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Enterprise D  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
1/1400 Enterprise D
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:06:23 am »
So I was walking around the model shop the other week and I saw this thing. I couldn't resist. I picked it up with the aztec decals. I was planning on making a 1/350 TOS enterprise next, but I am now going to work on this first!

First impressions when I opened the kit were positive. At 1/1400 I was concerned that it wouldn't be that large next to my other 1/350 enterprises (once they are all finished). BUT I was pleasantly surprised at how big this will turn out.

It is modeled in clear plastic so I am going to do all the painting on the outside and then scratch out the windows. For the aztecing I plan to scan in the decals and remake them as paint masks.

I also got the Federation Models Galaxy Class shuttle bay. I'm going to build and light the main shuttle bay in the saucer. I also got some Runabouts to go in there, because why not? ;D

Anyway, here we go!
Phil

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
Re: 1/1400 Enterprise D
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:20:25 am »
Nice haul Phil, gonna be watching this, its yet another kit impossible to find here :)
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:36 am »
Shuttlebay -

The first thing I worked on was the shuttle bay. I have mixed feelings about the Federation Models products. Overall it saved me time because I didn't have to make one myself, but it has some flaws... The mousing had bubbles in it in some places, none of them will show from where you look into the shuttle bay doors but they are there. The Runabouts only have minor flaws (bubbles/holes in one engine nacelle). The kit came with about 15 regular TNG shuttles and three of Voyager's 'speedboat' shuttles. This is where things really go down hill. The TNG shuttles are a bit of a mess, I think every one of them has some kind of flaw, the speedboat shuttles appear to have been 3D printed. However the printer resolution isn't that great and they are covered with bumps and ridges. It will take lots of time with very fine sandpaper to fix this stuff.

The shuttle bay looked pretty good when I did a dry fit, but I noticed that the center island blocked most of the view of the inside. I think I'm gonna go without it.

For the roof of the bay I cut out some clear plastic and put some LEDs under. This way when you look in you will see a smooth roof with lights inside it instead of the inside of the upper saucer mold. I will post more photos of this once I finished it up.

I also noticed that the bay blocked some of the lights in the saucer when its in place. I decided to move it back slightly so I can have all the windows of the saucer lit.

Anyway below are the photos of the work I have down so far on the shuttle bay.
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:34:32 am »
more shuttle bay pics
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:35 am »
Nice haul Phil, gonna be watching this, its yet another kit impossible to find here :)

Thanks Morgan. I'm gonna enjoy this one I think!
Phil

Offline Firebiro

• Artist / Designer / Modeller
  • Admiral
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:52:53 am »
Looks like you already are :D Great start! Its a pity about the shuttles and their flaws mind you, bit of elbow grease and you should be fine though!
The Matrix formed in a day, the life forms grew later, at a substantially accelerated rate!

Morgan

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:32 am »
Its a pity about the shuttles and their flaws mind you, bit of elbow grease and you should be fine though!

Yeah. I know it's a garage kit but I was hoping for a little better quality. It's not the end of the world or anything. It will just take some time. Having them is still WAYYYYY better than not!
Phil

Online starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 05:45:51 pm »
I really like D-builds that include the main shuttlebay.  We never saw more than the opening in the series but if you think about it, the main shuttlebay is kindof awesome. It must be larger than a modern aircraft carrier.

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 03:38:04 am »
That looks so good Phil.

I have been toying with getting the clear kit but I already have an original grey styrene version in my stash. Lovin' your work on the shuttlebay - may have to get one of those myself.
Iain

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 03:40:07 am »
Thanks guys!

Just a small update today;

I have finished the shuttle bay roof. I cut out a paint mask to emulate the shape of lights across the ceiling. I then painted a few layers to cover the lights and then just pealed all the remaining vinyl.

The camera shows the hotspots being a little more pronounced than they are to the naked eye.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:19:03 am by Tiburon »
Phil

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 08:11:18 am »
That's pretty awesome!

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 06:23:44 pm »
Nice work!  Look forward to more and watching closely....!
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 01:08:44 am »
Very good job. Pity the aperture is so small, it doesn't do justice to your effort, because you don't see too much of the shuttle bay.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 07:17:21 am »
Looking Awesome, Phil!

If this one turns out like your NX-01, it will be Beawesome!

Keep going! Would love to see this one up and running!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 02:05:55 pm »
Thanks guys!

Just a small update today;

I have finished the shuttle bay roof. I cut out a paint mask to emulate the shape of lights across the ceiling. I then painted a few layers to cover the lights and then just pealed all the remaining vinyl.

The camera shows the hotspots being a little more pronounced than they are to the naked eye.

Can I just ask - did you cut these by hand? I have this shuttlebay for my D and think I'll be using some of your ideas with your permission!
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Enterprise © Bloc