Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Enterprise D  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Re: 1/1400 Enterprise D
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 07:54:29 am »
Can I just ask - did you cut these by hand? I have this shuttlebay for my D and think I'll be using some of your ideas with your permission!

I used a vinyl cutter. I have found it quite useful for a variety of things. After you draw whatever you want to cut on the computer you just hit print and 30 seconds later I have a paint mask. It turns hours of work into minutes. Extreamly useful for Aztec panels too...

And please feel free to use any ideas you like. That's why I like this forum. We can all exchange ideas and make our builds better!
Phil

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 02:23:40 pm »
Can I just ask - did you cut these by hand? I have this shuttlebay for my D and think I'll be using some of your ideas with your permission!

I used a vinyl cutter. I have found it quite useful for a variety of things. After you draw whatever you want to cut on the computer you just hit print and 30 seconds later I have a paint mask. It turns hours of work into minutes. Extreamly useful for Aztec panels too...

And please feel free to use any ideas you like. That's why I like this forum. We can all exchange ideas and make our builds better!

Thanks for that - I'll have a look at how much they cost and see if my piggy bank can take the hit!

Cheers
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 01:30:07 pm »
Is it the kind o computerized cutter that they sell at craft stores  (cricut)?

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:22 pm »
Is it the kind o computerized cutter that they sell at craft stores  (cricut)?

I am not familiar with that brand, but this is what I use;

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/portrait

It's the Silhouette Portrait. I got mine when it was on sale for $100. But even for the regular price of $200 I think it's worth it. I couldn't be happier with it. I used it quite extensively in my NX01 build for Aztec masks and all the other markings that went on the model. The software that comes with it is pretty good for basic stuff (plain text or basic shapes). However if you want to do more complex patterns and shapes (like mimicking the exact shapes and text you find on a sci-fi model decal sheet) you really need to make the jump to Adobe Illustrator or some other comparable software. The only down side is that it has trouble with really tiny shapes. The material it's cutting just tends to get accidentally pulled up then it's cutting in a small area several times and in several different directions. (Think less than one square millimeter...) so really tiny text is still a no go until I can find a material that stands up better to those kinds of forces.

I got it because I don't like working with decals. I remembered using them on a model or two when I was a young kid with my dad like 20 years ago and I didn't like them much then. I'm sure the quality has improved a lot over the last two decades, I guess I just haven't given them a second chance ha ha. I don't like being able to see the edge of decals once they are laid on models. Some can be seen when the light hits them 'just right' and they tend to give the whole model a different texture when used all over for things like Aztecs. Anyway. That's how I feel. Nothing wrong with using decals, and making your own paint masks takes SOOOOOO LONG it boarders on absurd, but for me it's worth it to get the exact look I'm after.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:06:59 pm by Tiburon »
Phil

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
I love that roof idea - that's fantastic and the result speak for themselves! Even though I am not a huge Trek fan, I do like the Enterprise D and have been eyeing off a clear D as a present for my Mother (who is a HUGE Trek fan). I might also borrow/steal some ideas from you  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:34:37 am by Madhatter »

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 05:23:13 am »
Amazing work Phil!
  With the scale you're working at it makes it even more impressive with the level of detail you're getting in there. Very impressive!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20:05 pm »
Can you post a couple of pics of your Silhouette outputs?  I'm curious to know what you cut for masks.  I've got a "D" on deck and plan to use masks, but am wondering how to design them.  The "C" was easy since the saucer was a circle.  The "D", not so easy.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 09:01:15 am »
Can you post a couple of pics of your Silhouette outputs?  I'm curious to know what you cut for masks.  I've got a "D" on deck and plan to use masks, but am wondering how to design them.  The "C" was easy since the saucer was a circle.  The "D", not so easy.

Sure. I can do that. When I bought the model I also bought the aztec decals for the kit. Im not going to use them on the model itself, but I am going to scan them into the computer and redraw some masks myself in illustrator. I'll post some detailed pics of the process when I get there. I'm pretty much going to do the same process I used for my NX-01. I posted some detailed pics of the process of that model in its build log.
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 10:53:25 am »
So, last week I was looking at the studio model and looking to get ideas for lighting etc... For those that don't know, they made three models for the show. The largest one (6 foot?) is the one that we saw in the first few seasons and Star Trek Generations. It is the one that separates. There was a smaller one made during season 3 or 4 (???) I think and its much smaller (4 foot?). This smaller model has a much rougher surface designed to show more detail on the standard definition TVs of the day. It has things like raised hull plates and escape pod hatches.

In looking at this 1/1400 enterprise model kit its clear that they were trying to imitate the smaller studio model. There are raised panel lines all over it that don't appear on the larger studio model. Its also kinda strange that all these lines on the model are raised off the surface instead of recessed. (some of the main ones are recessed, but most are raised)

I prefer the look of the larger studio model so that is what I wanted mine to imitate. I feel like a smooth hull fits the scale of the ship better too... SO I decided to smooth out all the raised lines all over the model. I'm using a flat blade to scrape away the lines and then go over with fine (1400) sand paper. Results of the process so far are below (After about six hours of work I'm about 1/2 way through)

Doing it this way instead of just sanding the whole thing to remove the lines allows me to preserve windows.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:09:55 am by Tiburon »
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 11:00:39 am »
Photos of smoothing out the hull
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 11:03:15 am »
I have also been drilling out paths for fiber to get to the running lights and I've been cutting trenches for wire to get into the engines.
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 11:13:39 am »
I have also started working on the shuttles. They required lots of sanding/cutting to smooth out manufacturing imperfections. They are still a work in progress but I figured that I would post what I have.
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 12:12:03 pm »
I have also been drilling out paths for fiber to get to the running lights and I've been cutting trenches for wire to get into the engines.

What size wire are you gonna be using? I assume 30  AWG magnet wire.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 01:19:18 pm »

In looking at this 1/1400 enterprise model kit its clear that they were trying to imitate the smaller studio model. There are raised panel lines all over it that don't appear on the larger studio model. Its also kinda strange that all these lines on the model are raised off the surface instead of recessed. (some of the main ones are recessed, but most are raised)

Well, the molds were created during season 1, before the smaller studio model existed.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 02:50:47 pm »
Ah. I didn't know that... they must have just been trying to add some additional detail then? To mimick the Aztec paneling?

On a side note, it would be cool if someone made a more accurate model sometime. And maybe one which is just a little larger? The saucer of this model is just a little narrower  than my 1/350 NX-01. Something atleast as big as the 1/350 TOS enterprise would be amazing. But I know it's a fools dream.

On another side note, I found this awesome account on memory alpha of designing and building the model for the Enterprise D. Most of it I already knew about / kinda remembered from reading over the years, but I found it very interesting.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_class_model
Phil

Enterprise © Bloc