Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Enterprise D  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Re: 1/1400 Enterprise D
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 02:59:17 pm »

What size wire are you gonna be using? I assume 30  AWG magnet wire.

Steve

28 gauge. But it's small enough to get into the trentches I've cut. Photos to follow in a few days probably
Phil

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 11:08:33 pm »
Ah. I didn't know that... they must have just been trying to add some additional detail then? To mimick the Aztec paneling?

yes.  the details are surface molded and fairly accurate (especially for an AMT/ERTL kit of that time). it even accurately matches the word "UGLY' hidden in the aztec pattern on one warp pylon.  of course, the details arent supposed to be really raised.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:50 am »
Last night I spent a few hours working on the shuttle bay and shuttles. The shuttles are finished and the shuttle bay itself is not far behind. I will post photos of the shuttle bay when its completely finished. But for now here are some shuttle photos.

To get some detail on these things I over painted the areas I wanted color (warp engines, windows, red markings along the bow). I then cut out some simple paint masks to go over the desired area. then painted the final hull color over the masks and simply pulled the masks away to reveal the colored paint under. The Runabout and VOY are shades of grey while the TNG shuttle is straight white.

Once I am done with the shuttle bay I can finally finish the smoothing of the outside hull, then I'll be working on the lights and getting sub assemblies together for painting.
Phil

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 10:08:29 am »
That's really impressive detailing on the shuttlecraft! Nicely done!
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 02:14:18 am »
Thanks man. Never worked on shuttles before or resin so it was quite a learning experience  :)
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 01:00:21 pm »
Phil, painting and detailing those shuttles would break my eyes!  ;D ;)

Well done!

Looking good!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 06:32:15 am »
Well, after MANY hours I am now finally in possession of a 'smoothie' Enterprise D!

This process took sooooooooo long, but I am glad I did it. I spent some of the time rewatching TNG on Netflix now that they have the remastered HD versions as inspiration.

I really am surprised at how much texture is on this model in the flat areas. I smoothed a bunch of it out but im not going to smooth it down much more because I don't want to loose too much of the detail of the Windows and escape pod hatches... I have included some photos of it.

Now that this is done I should be moving much faster on the other stuff. Next up will be finishing up the shuttle bay and priming the major hull pieces.
Phil

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:43 am »
Going to start mine sometime soon after watching yours come together.

Keep going mate. ;D
Iain

Offline jguard68

• JC Modelworks
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 10:15:56 am »
Really nice work. I did one a couple years ago for a client, would like one for myself.
JC Modelworks, Professional Model Building

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 12:11:01 pm »
Got a progress update!

The shuttle bay is now finished! I made a couple simple paint masks for the yellow markings. The walls and floor are different greys. I didn't like how plain the walls on the sides looked next to the main shuttle bay doors so I used some styrene sheets to give them some more detail. I also cut out some doors because why not? Ha.

Priming of all the main hull pieces is also finished. Now begins the slow march of light blocking the clear plastic from the outside.   
Phil

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2017, 05:04:53 pm »
That shuttle bay is awesome!!! 8)

Lovely work sir - look forward to more updates!
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 01:51:39 pm »
I'm thinking of cutting channels for wires similar to yours.  Do you have any other pictures while it was still in progress?

Also, what are your thoughts on the seam across the center of the bussard collectors?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 10:40:33 pm »
Also, what are your thoughts on the seam across the center of the bussard collectors?
Only the 1/2500 has that.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 12:44:39 am »
I'm thinking of cutting channels for wires similar to yours.  Do you have any other pictures while it was still in progress?

Looks like I do.

I used a Dremel to cut out the channels. Then I laid the magnet wire inside with some CA glue. Then I filled the channels with CA glue to give back some of the strength to the plastic that I took away by cutting a lot of it out. Next up was two sessions of putty/sanding.
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 04:00:46 am »
Hello again!

IM BACK!

After a year I am getting back into this model. My wife and I moved into a new house and some other things came up that were more pressing, BUT I now have my hobby corner setup in the new basement and I'm ready to get back to this one!

I spent last week working on the internal lights and learning about photo-etch. I picked up the GreenStrawberry Enterprise D kit and so far I love it! Very high quality stuff and my first real venture into the photo-etch universe! I don't remember seeing too much of their work a year and a half ago but it seems that their offerings have exploded recently. I'm very happy with my purchase and looking forward to getting the parts onto the model.

While doing research I found some videos on soldering photo-etch instead of using glue. I decided to give it a try and it worked remarkably well on the lower saucer window I installed.

Also, over the last month I have been building my own paint booth. Photos to come.

Anyway, looking forward to finally finishing this one after a long break...!

Phil

Enterprise © Bloc