Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Enterprise D  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Re: 1/1400 Enterprise D
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 04:03:32 am »
Photos of arboretum
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 12:44:20 pm »
Welcome back, Phil!

I hope the new house is treating your well!

This is looking good and the GreenStrawberry is looking good!

Stick to it!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 09:42:53 pm »
Welcome back, Phil!

I hope the new house is treating your well!

This is looking good and the GreenStrawberry is looking good!

Stick to it!

Steve

Thanks man! looking forward to putting in a bunch more hours on this thing.
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 10:13:11 pm »
OK, SO,

Minor revelation while looking at the lower saucer. The escape pod hatches aren't lined up properly?!?!? Only a few of them are positioned properly in between the recessed hill panel markings. I was really happy to catch this before doing most of the major painting, I hadn't noticed it before at all... I spent some time thinking about the best way to fix it and I just decided to sand off all the hatches. I'm not going to use decals for this model and I think the painted escape pods would have looked strange if this weren't fixed now.

Started on the lower saucer and I am actually really glad I did it. Sanding the hatches off makes pretty much all the light blocking I did earlier pointless, however it did give me a chance to smooth out the rest of the saucer too (now that I wasn't concerned with sanding away the escape pod hatches anymore). I also noticed that the sanding I did the first time wasn't all that great everywhere else, so engines got sanded down too!

Took about 5 hours of careful sanding (while watching Netflix) to re sand the engines and the lower saucer.

Glad it finally got rid of the rest of that horrendous texture on the saucer.

Not a huge update, but I really think the removal of the hatches and the smoother surface will make a difference in how this thing looks once finished. Next to sand is the upper saucer and secondary hall.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:16:02 pm by Tiburon »
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2019, 07:54:08 am »
Wow, Phil! You're finding some real inaccuracies that I've haven't seen before.

Like AMT said "Who's gonna notice anyway?! Just mold it and get it sold!"

Modelers: "Like, US?!?!?!"

Anyway, keep going!

A few "slower than normal processing speed person here" questions:

1. What is with the underlying gold paint? Did I miss a post about that?

2. What did you use to take down the phaser strip? Sandpaper alone?

Thanks for the indulgence!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 11:06:13 pm »
Wow, Phil! You're finding some real inaccuracies that I've haven't seen before.

Like AMT said "Who's gonna notice anyway?! Just mold it and get it sold!"

Modelers: "Like, US?!?!?!"

Anyway, keep going!

A few "slower than normal processing speed person here" questions:

1. What is with the underlying gold paint? Did I miss a post about that?

2. What did you use to take down the phaser strip? Sandpaper alone?

Thanks for the indulgence!

Steve

Yeah! Its crazy how poorly modeled this thing is. Oh well, still the best 'official' Enterprise D model out there I think.

To answer your questions;
1. I did a few layers of white black and silver paint to light block the main parts... Is that what you were talking about? The gold window on the lower saucer is brass photo etch that I have yet to paint.
2. I remove most of the phaser strip with a dremel attachment and use a straight blade xacto  to scrape away what remained and then sand smooth. Hope this helps.

Phil

Offline Father Cool

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 09:40:14 am »
It looks so much better smooth.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2019, 01:11:39 am »
I think so too. I don't care for that strange texture that was all over this thing. Let alone those raised panel lines.
Phil

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2019, 06:37:22 am »
Welcome back Phil!
  I just got from a hiatus myself so I didn't miss any of your build. Looking forward to seeing you continue on with this guy.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2019, 07:22:06 pm »
Thanks man, its good to be working on it again. I didn't have a chance to work on it this last week because I was pulling ethernet cable to various rooms in my house, but this week I should be able to put some good hours in. Also, been watching your Battlestar, looks great so far!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:25:16 pm by Tiburon »
Phil

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2019, 05:42:11 am »
Minor update to the model, bigger update on how I'm going to work on it from here on out.

Over the last few weeks I have been working on a paint booth and now I'm finally finished. I decided to christen it with a fresh coat of primer on this newly sanded model.
More layers of paint to come to re-light block.

Photos below.
Phil

Offline Father Cool

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2019, 12:06:10 pm »
How are you planning to scrape the windows out?

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2019, 05:33:54 pm »
I really like the size of this kit.

As for the escape pods going through the hull, well, they ain't coming back.  And inaccuracies are only a small part of the price we pay to build AMT kits.  What would life be like if Bandai or Moebius issued them?!!!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2019, 01:36:35 am »
How are you planning to scrape the windows out?

Im going to use an etching tool. It works well for scraping the bottom of the windows out without damaging the sides. I found the a knife was faster but tended to scrape away some of the surrounding paint. I ran tests on various windows at several points through the painting process and this seems to be the best (if not fastest) way.
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2019, 02:06:04 pm »

Im going to use an etching tool. It works well for scraping the bottom of the windows out without damaging the sides. I found the a knife was faster but tended to scrape away some of the surrounding paint. I ran tests on various windows at several points through the painting process and this seems to be the best (if not fastest) way.

Phil!

Where do you get one of THOSE?!

Always inquisitive,

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc