Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 350 Refit Mounting Question  (Read 320 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
350 Refit Mounting Question
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:38:58 am »
Okay... I am not even close to starting this build but this has been bugging me and will drive me nuts until I figure it out

As per the instructions in the kit, the mounting pole goes in a hole just behind the sensor array.  There is a big post hole there with a housing that goes up right behind the main deflector, doesn't this block the LED light in that area?  Most people seem to be drilling a new hole for the mounting post, do you remove that plastic I mentioned and exactly where are people making the new hole at?

Like I said, I'm not even close to being ready to start this build, it's just been bugging me.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
Re: 350 Refit Mounting Question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:33:06 am »
The mounting hole that is already there is to close I think to the deflector dish. You don't need to remove anything here, Just fill in the hole and sand it flush with the hull. You will want to make a new hole just in front of the phaser banks. This is located under the arboretum. This means you will need to be careful on how many wires you have going here. You want to be able to place the arboretum where it belongs with out damaging the wires. But you should still have plenty of room to work with. Do NOT put the mount on the other side of the phaser banks. It is 2 far away from the ships center of gravity and the ship will fall forward from the weight. Here are 2 pictures. One which shows where I think most people place the new pole, and the mistake I made.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:26:40 pm »
I actually filled the hole on my first build and drilled a hole further back.  This wound up being a mistake, as now the ship tends to tip forward.  The hole is in the center of gravity for the ship. 

On my second build, I'm using the stock mounting position.  It shouldn't be a problem with the deflector housing at all.
Builder of all things StarShip...

Online AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:04:36 pm »
I can chime in on this too since it becomes a big deal if your ship lists forward.  I put my mounting rod about where Matt put his and mine also is tipping forward and will probably continue to do so until...

My recommendation is to go with the location that the kit is made for.  Originally, I didn't think it was that aesthetically pleasing, but after putting three circuit cards in the saucer, along with all the strip lights and LED's, the center of gravity for my build was out in front of the deflector dish!

I also believe Boyd used the kit mounting provision in his second and subsequent builds.

Al

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:16 pm »
My solution to the forward list was to prop her back up again with a second rod:

IMG_7215 by Marshall Blythe, on Flickr

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:13 am »
Dumb question...

If there is a problem with the center of gravity when moving the mount back like most do, and I think it looks better there... what about a counter weight?

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:03:42 am »
Dumb question...

If there is a problem with the center of gravity when moving the mount back like most do, and I think it looks better there... what about a counter weight?

It might work fine, unfortunately the secondary hull does have a fair amount of stuff taking up space, particularly near the back. You'd have to squeeze it in aft of the arboretum and under the hangar bay/cargo bay, and do so without occluding any windows. The question is, is there enough space to put in the appropriate amount to properly counterbalance the whole of the saucer and whatever electronics are housed in it?

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 09:13:32 am »
Good point

Enterprise © Bloc