Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/537 Enterprise  (Read 2050 times)

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
1/537 Enterprise
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:57 am »
My God, Bones... what have I done?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: 1/537 Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:16:21 pm »
Yes!

Got my smoothie waiting in the wings so going to be glued to your build. ;D
Iain

Offline Cdtdata

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:05:42 pm »
Aww this brings me back!  I built this as a kid, with my grandma's help.  I may have put the deflector dish in backwards though.

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 02:19:58 pm »
yup, i must be crazy! two reliant builds at once, and this to follow.   ???

First step will be to make it a smoothie, so i'll see you all in 6 months after puttying and sanding this as a full time job..

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:21:02 am »
So I thought I'd see how time consuming the puttying/sanding/re-scribing will be on a single pie slice. yup, this is going to take a while. it's going to be worth it though! The 'brick work' panel lines are even worse in person. :'(

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:44:36 pm »
Okay, Pete, what did you do to fill in the 'brick work'? Looks like you uses a putty resin, Aves, Millput, to fill in the 'grout' and then sand them down.

Did you use a dremel or was it good ole elbow grease and a bit of sandpaper?

I have this one too, not so near the top of the to-do list, but still there so I am interested in how you got it smooth!

Outstanding so far!

"Keep 'er going, Scotty, Keep 'er going!"

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:21:15 pm »
Thanks again for your supportive comments, Steve!

I think this one is going to be a slow burner, due to the huge amount of corrections that it needs to make it shine! Having only recently got into model making, I think I find the 1/500-1/600 size ships the most fun to work on (and have out on display).

I might post some picture of my first build - a Revell Voyager, if I can pluck up the courage to share a bit of dodgy build haha

As far as getting rid of the brick work - I've just sanded it down with some 400 grit sandpaper to level it off a bit and then used some tamiya white putty to fill it in. I tested it with some primer this afternoon and I think it's going to need another go with the putty before being totally smooth.

As I say, definitely a slow burner!

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:01:03 pm »
I started building one of these, and filled all the brickwork.  The ship didn't turn out quite the way I wanted (problems with the pylons), so I scrapped it and bought another kit.  The second one turned out great, but I didn't fill any of the panels in.  It actually doesn't look bad until you get right up to it.

The 1/350 kit is better in every way, but it is quite a bit larger (and more impressive!). 

Good luck with the build!  It's neat to see these old kits built up still.
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 03:14:32 am »
I started building one of these, and filled all the brickwork.  The ship didn't turn out quite the way I wanted (problems with the pylons), so I scrapped it and bought another kit.  The second one turned out great, but I didn't fill any of the panels in.  It actually doesn't look bad until you get right up to it.

The 1/350 kit is better in every way, but it is quite a bit larger (and more impressive!). 

Good luck with the build!  It's neat to see these old kits built up still.

Could not agree more, as I've got a 1/350 in my stash, I'm just not man enough to handle her yet! :-[

What was the issue you had with the pylon? I've read that one of them doesn't fit quite right and needs some work to get it to fit right, but was it something more drastic?

Thanks!
Pete

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:14:09 pm »
When you glue the pylons on, if they aren't lined up exactly straight, it basically ruins the model.  Be sure to glue them on before you glue the two hull halves together.  Dry fit the inner nacelle pieces as you do so, and eyeball everything to make sure they line up with the hull half you're working with *exactly*.  When you do this, things go together nice and straight. 

This kit isn't straight at all, but it can be made to look decent with a little bit of work. 
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline krieg.17

• Admiral
  • FIRE!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 10:35:10 am »
Just a suggestion. When I tried to putty mine it did not work. When adding the primer afterwords you could still see the "brick work". So I just ended up sanding it all off.
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 10:05:15 pm »
It's really sad that they only put out the one "smoothie" version of this kit....  I've lost count on how many times I've watched folks wrench on the other versions trying to get rid of all those damn grid lines.... :*(
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 03:05:29 am »
I'd be happy if Round 2/AMT could release retooled 537s of the Enterprise, Reliant, and K'Tinga. But they're focusing more on the 350 size, which is a bit too big for my tastes. I already have the DLM parts for my Enterprise and Reliant, so I'm set.

About the pylons, I remember being told on the Starship Modeler forum that you need to reinforce them with some brass rods or something to strengthen them. Has anyone here done so?

Offline krieg.17

• Admiral
  • FIRE!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 02:13:28 pm »
The Pylons are warped. So the rods don't help unless you have the"sights and sounds" version. That helps with all the weight of the wiring and such. If I do another I will make a jig like was suggested to me after I glued mine already.
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 04:24:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

Sorry that I've been a bit quiet again - life has truly been getting in the way!

I have, whenever I've got a few minutes, been working on this one - so I thought I'd give an update.

I followed some of the advice and went for the sanding method. Sadly, I couldn't get it all smooth, but it is a lot better than it was!

So, I've had my first go at Raytheon lighting with this kit - and before anyone says anything, I know, I don't know my left from right when it comes to Navs. Fortunately, I realised before I closed her up! :)

As I now have a smoothie in my stash, and it came with the DLM replacement deflector, I decided to do a bit of surgery and removed the outermost deflector dish from the smoothie and then attached it to this kit. The reason for this was the Lights and Sounds version comes with a transparent part, and no detailing, where as the smoothie does have some of the radial spokes (if that's the right term!) giving it some detail. The effect turned out quite nice I think!

I went for Raytheon effect with the flux chiller grills as well - light blocking the inside, apart from where the grills are, and then putting a strip of blue LED tape behind it. As it wasn't a clear part, it actually defused the light quite well through the plastic. I did defuse it further by using an opaque cable tie laid over the tape as well -groves facing the light. 

I must admit to trying a few different things for the impulse crystal and the impulse engines, but this was an early draft. Again using the raytheon effect, but painting the inside transparent red and blue and then just using a bright white strip of LED tape to light them. It just didn't work for me, so I tried something else a bit later

So, the age old problem with these kits - the narrow gap for the saucer! I'll admit, I wasn't too happy with how my side-lighting fiber optic cable approach worked on my Reliant Build, so with this one, I bit the bullet and went with SMDs, set back from the edge, and pointed towards each of the windows. (yes, it's a rats nest, but I did some tidying up later)

I did at this point put a bright blue LED under the impulse crystal, which really made the difference!

And then after some tidying up - and swapping the Red and Green LEDs over, I decided to forgo doing any washing for a day or so...

Had to rest the registry on her to just see how she'd look :)

I decide to again use the Arthur Pendragon aztec decal method for this kit, as finding 1/537 aztec paint masks is a bit tough over here in the UK.

One issue was the strong back - as there are only some 1/350 decals that Arthur has provided - so I cheated, and increased the size by 350%, then divided it by 537%. I think they fit pretty well!

Next was some of the detail painting, and more decals

And that's about up to date. I still have a few little bits to finish off over Christmas, but I couldn't help putting her next to the Reliant to see how they looked (I did not in anyway say 'Z-minus 10,000 meters' when I turned on the lights. Honest ;)

Hope all of your builds are going well, and thanks for reading!

Pete

Enterprise © Bloc