Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Capacitive Touch Switch] Replacing Mechanical Switch  (Read 274 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
[Capacitive Touch Switch] Replacing Mechanical Switch
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:30 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

I ordered in a set of low-voltage capactive touch switches to try out.

The 11.4mm x 15.4mm (0.4488189-inch x 0.6062992-inch), 2.2-volt to 5.5-volt DC module can be used in place of a mechanical momentary or ON / OFF switch.

The module itself has three connection points:

• DAT (data signal output)
  • GND (ground)
  • VCC (incoming voltage)

It also has several settings available through two solderable points:

• S1 (switch mode): "jog" type (momentary switch - default) and "latch" type (ON / OFF switch - need to short the connection for this mode)
  • S2 (output level mode): "active HIGH" (default) and "active LOW" (need to short the connection for this mode)

I solder shorted S2 to make the output level mode to "active LOW."  This way things start in an OFF mode.

NOTE: some applications will require the use of a resistor on the DAT output.  For example, I tested the switch with a standalone sound module and a resistor was needed.  However, when using the switch with an Arduino Nano, the resistor was not needed.

Demonstration YouTube video can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/x-AbACsk2T8

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline RossW

• Captain
Re: [Capacitive Touch Switch] Replacing Mechanical Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:31:46 pm »
Brilliant! Thanks for this - I've been wanting to try a capacitive switch for my TOS E project, and now I have an example to look at.

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:46:25 pm »
These are really fun to play with!  I picked up a couple of those to play with - along with some thin acrylic/plexiglass panels.  The idea being you can create an LCARs panel using a printed color transparency and a bit of back-lighting.  Then you can use the touch sensor underneath the LCARs to have the panel actually function and "do something" like turn on lighting effects, sounds, etc when the screen is touched.  I only got as far as testing out if the sensor would detect the pressure through the acrylic...and it worked!  I would LOVE someone way smarter than me to post something like this!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline zhaith

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:03 am »
I use one of these for my War Machine build, just sinple lighting for the eyes, chest etc, but i didn't want a switch on the base. I also added a usb lithium charger and cell, it worked a treat, switched on by touching the base and no wires to show :)

Enterprise © Bloc