Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lynn's Workroom Reworking  (Read 1196 times)

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Lynn's Workroom Reworking
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:53:43 pm »
I've been working on the workroom the past couple of weeks. My "uncle" has a paint booth I'll be bringing in and installing, hopefully this Saturday.

So for starters, the room started with a single 2'x6' workbench, and a short 2'x4' table. The room is only 8'x9', so it's actually really hard to take a good photo of the whole room. It was serviceable, but it's not been ideal.

And there's a lot of prep to get it ready; the paint booth in question was designed around painting 1/48 scale aircraft models, so it's quite sizable. I've pretty much realized that, once I have it in, it can only go in one place. It's going to go in what's turned into the "paint staging" area, which is wall mounted shelving above the table. I've been putting models to be painted up there, so in this case they can just keep getting put up there.

I also grabbed about 10 storage drawer units full of electronics parts, and those will have to go somewhere.

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
Re: Lynn's Workroom Reworking
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:56:02 pm »
So, the first order of business I had was to acquire a second workbench; since both my husband and myself use the room to build models, it was already past time to get this part. I got a friend to help last weekend to buy another of the same workbench I bought before, and it was wedged into the corner where I'd had some plastic storage drawers. Those drawers went away; I'm firmly pursuing the Adam Savage philosophy that "drawers are where tools go to die", only using them for consumables.

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:59:50 pm »
Tonight, I got the rest of the initial rearrangement of the workroom done. I cut some wood left by the previous owners of the house, and redid my drawer unit mounting system on the one wall to accommodate the "new" drawer units. I still have to sort the parts, but I needed to get the "tetris" reduced, I still have a table to get out of there and a paint booth to install. I wasn't able to mount all the drawers, there isn't enough physical wall available right now on account of the stash being there.  ::)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 07:23:45 am »
Lynn, I used to think I had a "pretty good" work space but, after seeing your workspace, I am suffering from "Workspace Envy"! I know you aren't done but man, that is one cool place to build!!

Not only that but some of the model kits/boxes you have are quite, for the lack of a better term, enviable! ;D

Looking good!

Any idea on when you and or hubby will be back building?

Good luck!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:13 am »
Lynn, I used to think I had a "pretty good" work space but, after seeing your workspace, I am suffering from "Workspace Envy"! I know you aren't done but man, that is one cool place to build!!

Not only that but some of the model kits/boxes you have are quite, for the lack of a better term, enviable! ;D

Looking good!

Any idea on when you and or hubby will be back building?

Good luck!

Steve

I'm hoping we can get back into doing it from home soon. We're both part of the local modeling group Commies, which does twice a month "build and bitch" sessions at Colpar, so we can still manage to build, but it's still a little hard that I can't just nip off to the workroom right now.

Once I get the paint booth in (hopefully tomorrow), I can get some of the mess cleaned up and figure out the next part of the plan, and at least get it back up to where I can do some work.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »
This looks awesome!  You even have an oscilloscope  :o

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 03:57:16 pm »
Wow! That's really impressive!!!

Look forward to seeing the completed makeover!
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 04:50:39 pm »
This looks awesome!  You even have an oscilloscope  :o

And I've actually used it in diagnosis work for one of my other hobbies - classic video gaming.

We weren't able to get the paint booth in, the truck company my brother tried to rent from, the location he did the online reservation for turned out to be closed today, and another was flaky as well.

I'm going to make other arrangements to get the paint booth and an item for our rec room.

Bonus: Posted in the acquisitions thread that some models that had still been at my uncle's place got set aside based on the box label, which included one that I was definitely interested in.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 06:17:26 pm »
I build classic arcade cabinets as another hobby. I use MAME to setup
games on them. The wife says I'm taking over the whole basement with
all my hobbies.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 06:32:52 pm »
I build classic arcade cabinets as another hobby. I use MAME to setup
games on them. The wife says I'm taking over the whole basement with
all my hobbies.

Thankfully, Hubby and I share a lot of the same hobbies; taking over the basement with it all was part of the plan.  :P

Classic gaming, board gaming, we even has a MAME machine in progress and a pinball.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 06:36:01 pm »
I've been selling my cabinets. Really surprised me on who wanted them.
High school kids, It's all new to them.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 09:24:02 pm »
MAME!  You guys have earned your geek cards.  Love it!  Keep us posted on the paint booth.  And post some pics of your gaming cabs if you don't mind.

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »
OK, I had to skip Commies to get it done, but we enlisted the help of our friend Goban, who came with his pickup to get the paint booth and a thing for the rec room. I had to reinforce the leg structure with some added bracing, it was really the only flaw in the build. My uncle had moved early last year into this house, and had built a replacement paint booth; I don't think he actually got a chance to use it.

Notice how big it is; I've included the saucer from the 1:350 TOS Enterprise for scale purposes. It was built around painting 1/48 aircraft.

Also attached; the MAME machine in the current state, and included is a picture of the setup's "party trick" - TATE mode!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:15 am »
Lynn,

That booth is HUGE!

Love the gaming console!

Donkey Kong?

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 08:39:33 am »
Lynn,

That booth is HUGE!

Why, yes, it's huge... but it's actually not much larger than what I'd actually planned to build; the 1:350 kits were going to be my "minimum volume required" baselines. The only kit I have that won't fit into it easily is the Seaview.

Love the gaming console!

Donkey Kong?

Steve

Donkey Kong is one of the games available. Kong winds up something like 4 inches tall.

Enterprise © Bloc