Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lynn's Workroom Reworking  (Read 646 times)

Online whb64

• Commander
Re: Lynn's Workroom Reworking
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 03:11:42 pm »
That's quite the impressive setup you have!

I am also into MAME and my cab has over 40,000 games- all the MAME games, and just about every console ROM out there except for PS3 :)
I'm currently upgrading my CP with lighted buttons controlled by LEDBlinky so when you select a game only the buttons for that game light up and in the correct color.  I also have some dedicated CPs for my favorite games.  It's a fun hobby isn't it :)

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 07:29:52 pm »
That's quite the impressive setup you have!

I am also into MAME and my cab has over 40,000 games- all the MAME games, and just about every console ROM out there except for PS3 :)
I'm currently upgrading my CP with lighted buttons controlled by LEDBlinky so when you select a game only the buttons for that game light up and in the correct color.  I also have some dedicated CPs for my favorite games.  It's a fun hobby isn't it :)

We're just going for arcade. The plan is for ultimately a 4-player setup, we've just had a LOT on our plate so we haven't gotten to where we can get the cabinet built around what we've got.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:52 pm »
So I'm hoping I can get more workroom stuff done next week. This week has been recapturing bandwidth in areas we've been neglecting because of dealing with my uncle's stuff. We're pretty much done on a few levels with what we want from the house.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 09:46:45 pm »
Getting back in on it. Tonight's pair of things:

1) Disassembled and reassembled the metal shelves holding part of the stash. Now I remember why I hate this style of shelving, and I'm fairly certain that's why they were left by the previous owner of the house. I removed one shelf (it was really bent up), and eliminated all the badly stripped screws. At some point I'm going to do something a little more permanent for the shelves, but that's for much later.

2) I got a spare Raspberry Pi 1 with KODI set up now. I grabbed a Dell 4:3 monitor with the clip-on soundbar from the uncle's house during one of the last grabs, so I can now view images, play music and videos while I work on stuff. I actually use the same model soundbar on my computer upstairs. As part of this, I finally fished the ethernet cable out of the spare room, back out from along the bathroom vent, and through the laundry room into the workroom. I have some nail-in clips on order so I can get all the cabling tied up to the joists above.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 07:54:52 am »
I saw a sign once that read "Organized People Are Just Too Lazy To Look For Things!" LOL

Looks like you are getting organized Lynn!!

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 07:56:31 pm »
I got the clips in, and hung the ethernet cable from the joists.

I've also ordered the hole saw, and vents for the paint booth. The vents came in today, as well as the mandrel part of the hole saw; the actual cylinder should be in sometime this coming week. I'll be buying some metal snips this week as well, and hopefully come this next weekend I'll be punching holes in the house to vent the paint booth.

In the meantime, I've been sorting and refiling electronic components so that I can start trying to clear the workbench surfaces.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 11:57:04 am »
come this next weekend I'll be punching holes in the house

A phrase like this is not usually a good thing for a homeowner! ;) Are you going through basement block wall, or above the sill?

Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »
come this next weekend I'll be punching holes in the house

A phrase like this is not usually a good thing for a homeowner! ;) Are you going through basement block wall, or above the sill?

We'll be going through the wooden joist above the concrete foundation wall. The plan is to go through on the carport wall. The carport is divided into a 2/3 section at the front for parking, and a 1/3 section of the backyard end behind the gate, and it will be on the backyard end. It's a full basement, so going through the concrete isn't an option anyway, it'd wind up BELOW the carport floor if we tried that.

Because the paint booth came with two outputs, I'm going to put in two holes rather than risk a potentially flammable vapor trap trying to plug one of them up.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 07:55:55 pm »
One thing I miss about living in Colorado was the basements.  We moved to Florida around 8 years ago, and painting in the summertime is brutal!  We used to live in Loveland, and I had a full basement as well.  It was great for areas just like this.  You'll be able to work any time of the year without issue. 

So far, it's looking good!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »
Is the paint booth your Uncle had a homemade custom or something he purchased. Sounds pretty heavy duty with the 2 outputs instead of one. Micro Mark has a couple that apparently are safe for solvent based paints when properly ducted, but a bit pricey at $300-$400.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 07:41:50 pm »
Is the paint booth your Uncle had a homemade custom or something he purchased. Sounds pretty heavy duty with the 2 outputs instead of one. Micro Mark has a couple that apparently are safe for solvent based paints when properly ducted, but a bit pricey at $300-$400.

It looks like a homemade custom. He was pretty proud of it. It matches my needs; his needs were "1/48 aircraft with forays into huge subject 1/72", so it can swallow most of what I'll be offering it.

I'll be testing the output capacity with aerosol cleaner. I'm actually curious as to how much it'll move; I don't expect it to be capable of venting a Tamiya bomb, much less a Testor's bomb, but since I didn't build it myself I can't be sure. I'm pretty sure my uncle was to the 100% airbrush stage anyway, and I'm intending on trying to go down that same road.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 10:05:23 pm »
As an update: My plan to drill through the outside joist isn't workable; I need two holes, and to complicate matters the wall of the house is about 7-8 inches thick, so it would take a hell of a lot of effort to make even one hole. We're going to the backup plan: a sheet of aluminum to replace a pane of glass in the hopper style window, with the two holes drilled into that.

I've already bought some extra dryer duct, and I'll be buying more so that I don't have to radically rearrange what I've been doing in there. I'll also have to buy the aluminum. I should have everything else. The biggest thing I need to figure out is how to remove that piece of glass without being destructive.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2017, 04:07:09 pm »
So I finally was able to shake down a day (and missing my Commies meeting) to get the install finally done on the paint booth. Dropped around $100 in materials and tools. The steps were in the following order:

Identify the pane of glass, and verify that the window is, in fact, two panes of glass and not just one with a certain divider over it. I actually cracked the pane doing my probing of it.

Purchase the heat gun I'd intended to add to the toolkit so I could loosen the putty.

Spend an hour heating and removing 62 year old glazer's putty. Lost the clips in the process. Throw out the broken up pane of glass.

Take break.

Cut and drill out the acrylic panel, insert the vents, bolt in, and run sealant around them for weatherproofing.

Take break.

Remove the screen that's over the window.

Insert and putty in the acrylic sheet with vents installed. (I might have to touch up the putty later.)

Take break.

Assemble and install the ducting, using steel straps to run it along the joists.

Test for leaks. Patch a couple of them with duct tape. Run a Tamiya spray can briefly for volume check.

We're now finished. It's good for airbrushing. Probably not good for spray cans, but the test isn't going to contaminate the whole house, either, so it's all a win.

I have tomorrow off, and I'll probably see how things work in terms of airbrushing!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 01:51:39 am »
MAME machine  :o

Lynn is too cool.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2017, 07:58:38 pm »
Got some painting work in on Monday. Doing airbrushing is a whole different ballgame now.

Unfortunately, there's going to be some slowdown; I've figured out I need to raise the paint booth, but today we were dealing with power problems (one of the 110 lines is acting up) at home, and looks like we need to hire someone to prune the backyard tree this week, which is going to play hell with the amount of money I have to do things I want to do with the room.

I did get the paints sorted out, and since the power issues are on the circuit the workroom is on, I got some cleanup done. I tried to do some more painting, but with the combination of power issues and the lack of sleep caused by that, I didn't get a lot of progress on that front.

And finally, a (bad) panorama pic so you can see how things are laid out.

Enterprise © Bloc