Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decals and masking application question...  (Read 175 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Decals and masking application question...
« on: June 03, 2017, 12:30:20 am »
Back when I did model kits ... oh...  20-30 years ago...  Things were much more basic and there wasn't anywhere near the products and techniques used now.

One thing I see in a lot of the build videos is before applying decals or paint masks the model is sprayed with a clear coat.  Boyd mentioned a gloss coat, my question is that the recommended method everyone uses?  I am assuming gloss was mentioned because it is smoother than a matte coat, is that correct and the reason for using gloss?

I've seen videos where a gloss coat was applied, then the Aztec paint masks, then the contrast Aztec paint shade, then another gloss coat, then the decals, and finally another clear coat.  Is this the right sequence and is the clear coat after the decals are applied the final matte coating or another gloss coat then a matte coat?  This seems like an awful lot of clear coats, that's why I am asking 

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
Re: Decals and masking application question...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:34:56 am »
Yes that is the preferred method. Decals go on easier on a glossy surface and masking over a glossy
surface helps to prevent paint bleed. The final clear coat seals the decals on and should be what your
final finish will be, ie gloss, satin, or matte.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:45:23 am »
Thanks Tankton... one more question-

Do you do a clear coat after the Aztec masking/paint is done and before the decals are applied?  If so then we're talking a total of three clear coats- one before masking and contrast paint, one before decals, and a final after the decals.

I assume the lights and windows are all masked off?  If so, what technique do you use?  I'm thinking liquid mask.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:09:22 pm »
You are correct a total of three. I don't mask windows for a clear coat
unless they are big and you need to see through them as in the officers
lounge on the refit. On most space ship build I don't use the window inserts
I fill them canopy glue or krystal klear glue after everything is done.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Enterprise © Bloc