Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eyesight  (Read 682 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Eyesight
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 05:34:43 pm »
Thanks all :)

It went well.  I just wish the wait for my right eye isn't as long as it will be.  I thought it would be done at the end of the month but now it sounds like that is an appointment to schedule the surgery.  The surgery was a breeze, took all of 15 minutes.

Good to hear! I lost the lens in my right eye to retinal surgery and had an implant done in '99, very similar to cataract surgery, and it went smooth and I was home that Friday afternoon and back to work on Monday. That was 18 years ago, so I can imagine the techniques have advanced greatly since then.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 05:59:52 pm »
Did they give you an artificial lens?

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »
Yeah they use artificial lenses to replace with

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:13:46 pm »
Yeah they use artificial lenses to replace with

Personally I was hoping for the bionic eye with the telescopic vision, but I think they were out of stock at the time. ;)
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:50 am »
Surgery for my right eye is scheduled for the 25th :)

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:38 am »
Thanks everyone for all the kind words and thoughts.

I had my second surgery yesterday and now I can see out of both eyes!  My right eye is still healing but already my vision is better now than before I developed the cataracts.  I also wore contacts then and my vision is better now without any glasses or contacts than it was before!

I really shouldn't paint or anything until both eyes are fully healed, but in a week I should be able to start my builds again! :)

Offline philco36

• Commander
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow - Uriah Heep
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 04:02:25 pm »
I have type 2 diabetes and up to a few months ago I was taking both Victoza and metformin. I myself stopped my Victoza and my blood sugar went up about 5 points. A average high of 125 and an average low of 95 with an overall average of 105. I am currently experimenting by stopping my metformin, I don't like some of the latest news about it, and my average is 115, still good. The major damage is very little feeling in my feet and macular degeneration to the eyes. I am receiving shots of eyela in my eyes on a three month on/off and they are recovering very well. Low carb eating has done the trick for me. I am glad you are doing well and keep up the good work!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 07:47:15 am »
Glad to hear it all went well, Whb64!

Get well soon! Looking forward to seeing more of your builds!

LLAP!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Option61c

• Ensign
  • Never Again
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 09:50:40 pm »
I'm a type 2 diagnosed over 10 years ago.  I'm also not a huge fan of discussing my medical troubles, so suffice it to say that only conditions I'm not suffering from concern my heart and my hearing.  In the last few years I've been building like a mad man so that I can finish as much as I can before the neuropathy kills my hands.  As far a vision is concerned, I've invested in the best magnification devices I can find (within reason).  The one I'm using right now is a couple of years old, but this is the closest I can find to it...

https://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Magnifier-Headband-Magnifying-1-0X-6-0X/dp/B073NYWWFL/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1504233781&sr=8-41&keywords=magnifier%2Bwith%2BLED%2Blight&th=1

For plastic lenses the optics aren't half bad.

Best of luck to you.    8)

David

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 10:15:55 pm »
Thanks David.  I had the surgery in both eyes and now my eye sight is better than it's ever been.  The bad side is now I can see how bad the paint job is on the kit I'm working on.  Oh well... it's just paint!  I'm prepping it for a new/touch up paint job :)

Enterprise © Bloc