Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)  (Read 1090 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)
« on: June 05, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »
And the adventure begins!

A first look at the kit still attached to the sprue.  Love the really thick attachment points that make you drool over the sanding possibilities.

Actually, after sanding the saucer section I was pleasantly surprised that because of the 'sensor strip' between the hull halves, the scars can be sanded quite evenly and are barely noticeable.  The nacelles, on the other hand, will require putty in the most obvious of places: the front end.  Why they put the attach point there boggles the mind.

None of this would be an issue were I not lighting this build.  So, that means figuring out how to light block the bussard collectors while lighting them after puttying them.  I think I need some clear putty....  (resin?)  similarly, lightblocking the saucer might be a challenge.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
Re: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »
The kit comes with raised panel lines, almost all of which will be sanded off.  To begin with, however, they are sanded 'almost off' which allows them to be used as positioning guides.  The 1701-C (previously posted) came with recessed portholes, and the 1701-D does not.  So, how to drill them?  The decals were photocopied onto decal paper, then the decals applied to the kit, and now there is a template for drilling.

The Aztec scheme for this kit will be like the 1701-C, which will be masked and painted.  Some escape pod decals were obtained from Federation Models.  The original decals were kept so they can be photocopied onto yellow vinyl masking, which will be used for the Aztec painting.

Here, about 25% of the saucer decals are placed to begin drilling the windows.  Let the joy begin!  Once done drilling, the decals will be stripped.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 06:40:36 pm »
Oh, and I'm glad I'm not wallpapering this kit.  Notice the gaps in the decals.  This can be hid by additional drilling, but not by actual decals.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 12:38:08 pm »
First day of drilling windows.  Saturday 112.  It's gonna be a long build...and my fingers hurt.

One drill bit gets about 80 windows before dulling.  With two holes drilled I punch through with an X-acto.  About once an hour I snap the tip off the knife.  It's not an inexpensive process.

I've decided to go with a unique aztek scheme for this kit.  Not canon, and not as difficult as last time.  Should be good though.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 01:52:04 pm »
112 windows and you're still not done?! Whew!!

What aztecing scheme do you have in mind?

Keep going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:49:26 pm »
@Steve, yeah, quite a bit of windows to place.   :P

For the aztec I'm planning to use the vinyl masks pictured below.  After base coating the overall hull with a light gray primer, the masks will be placed side to side, not with the seams shown here.  Then, a four color pattern will be laid down one 'row' at a time, probably having to reuse one of the first two sets.  Gray, lay down a meandering pattern where each piece only touches two others, remove every other one of those, paint the first shade.  Lay down the ones removed, add the third color.  Lay down the third, add the next color.  It seems simple in my head, we'll see how it goes in practice....

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 06:57:29 pm »
Wow! Determination is definitely one of your strong points!!
Lots of windows but it is gonna look fantastic in the end!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:12:01 pm »
Impressive! My fingers are sore just looking at the pictures. :'(
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 05:15:22 pm »
Very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing your work on the pain masks!
Phil

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 09:19:34 pm »

Hah! The masks will definitely be a pain!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:27:33 pm »
Question for the group: what are the components highlighted by the black boxes?  More importantly, would you say they are lit in any way?

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 08:58:18 pm »
Just in front of the bridge I believe are windows. The other two items are vents or thrusters. There
are more of those all over the ship.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Online shrapnel2389

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 09:27:13 pm »
the two near the phaser strips are the transport signal antenna , the ones near bridge are the "officers" quarters windows.  The Stenback blueprints list them as worf, data, laforge.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 10:32:57 pm »

Hah! The masks will definitely be a pain!

Ha ha. Yep. That's what happens when I type on the iPad. But still looking forward to them!
Phil

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 08:00:03 am »
Question for the group: what are the components highlighted by the black boxes?  More importantly, would you say they are lit in any way?

The ones right next to the bridge would be lit. The large pads right next to the phaser strip are not lit, and were always listed as the Transporter Emitters in any literature I've seen.

Enterprise © Bloc